Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

You Choose the ACTION, Hand #3 (Pre Flop Decision #1)

View Poll Results: What do we do with AA?
1) Fold, Roberto always cracks our hands anyway. 0 0%
2) Call, let's disguise our hand's strength. 0 0%
3) RAISE small, $50 (min raise) to $65 (1.6 times more) to go 0 0%
4) RAISE medium, $66 to $100 (3 times more) to go 12 80.00%
5) RAISE large, $101 to $150 (5 times more) to go 1 6.67%
6) RAISE huge, $151 to All in to go 1 6.67%
7) Blank (For me to track voting, please do not select) 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old
You Choose the ACTION, Hand #3 (Pre Flop Decision #1) - Mon Feb 20, 2012, 07:18 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
You Choose the ACTION, Hand #3 (Pre Flop Decision #1)

Wow...we are still shaking a bit after dragging a $1537 pot!

We toss a green $25 to the dealer from out of our pocket as she leaves, smile, and say "thanks a lot, you are a great dealer."
She smiles back at us and says, "And you are my favorite player too, _____. Always nice to see you! Bye!"

We feel really good about sitting back down with $1530 in front of us, especially since the Dentist has re-loaded, and the Big Calling Station has proven what a big station here really is...AND he still has chips too!

We pull out our note book, and make a quick record of our session so far. We enter:

Start Amount: $3000
Buy in Amount: $500 + $176 = $676
Tokes (from off table): $25 + $1 + $1 = $27 (we got 2 x diet sodas and gave $1 to the waitress each time).

...and we know our current amount in front = $1530. This means we are thus far +$854 gross, +$827 net. Not shabby for about half an hour!

But enough for the back patting, time to get back at it!

The new dealer, a heavy set guy named Roberto, finishes counting his box, and shuiffles up and begins to deal. Roberto is a very jovial guy, but for some reaosn he always seems to deal you big hands, and then cracks them. You have a running commentary with Roberto, where you call him "Doctor Death Hands", and you swear he will stick his hands in a freezer before dealing at your table simply because he can find the most gosh awful ways to freeze the deck solid on you. You like Roberto though, because he is one of the best, and fastest dealers in the house, and he laughs right along with your ribbing, and once he found out you were joking he jokes along too.

You say, "Oh my gosh! JUST when I win a big pot, looks who comes in! don;t do it to me tongiht Roberto!"

He looks over at you and says, "Hey _____, great to see you! Are you sure you don't want to take a dinner break?" and he smiles.

You reply, "I'll take my chances, and long as you rub your hands together to warm 'em up!"

Roberto laughs, claps his hands together loudly, and rubs them together. "That good enough?"

"Yup" you say, "Run 'em!"

He cuts the cards and deals...

ACTION:

The New Guy in Seat 9 open limps UTG +1.
Dentist looks at his cards and tosses them into the middle of the table quickly.

Reg 1 in seat #2 looks to his left, and pushes $25 into the pot, saying "Raise".

We look to our left, and see that Reg #2 behind us appears dis-interested in playing.

Mid 20's girl on the button is fiddling in her purse, and we are not sure if she has looked at her cards yet.

The Kid in the SB is looking at us, and we are pretty sure he has not looked at his hand yet.

Grandma in the BB is staring at her hand, haivng lifted it up from the table to get a closer look, and does not seem to notice us. She hears the raise announced, puts her cards back on the table, and seems to us not really likely to paly either.

New guy has the same non-descrept, somewhat vacuous look on his face we have seen thorughout his time at the table so far.

We look down at our hand after the 5 seconds or so it takes to absorb this info and see: Ah Ac

What do we do?

1) Fold, Roberto always cracks our hands anyway.
2) Call, let's disguise our hand's strength.
3) RAISE small, $50 (min raise) to $65 (1.6 times more) to go
4) RAISE medium, $66 to $100 (3 times more) to go
5) RAISE large, $101 to $150 (5 times more) to go
6) RAISE huge, $151 to All in to go
7) Blank (For me to track voting, please do not select)

Please cast your votes, and psot the reasons why you choose as you do so we can discuss. I will put up the next action on this hand in approximately 2 days.

Thanks!

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Mon Feb 20, 2012 at 07:22 AM..

Old
Mon Feb 20, 2012, 07:50 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Medium (standard) Raise.

I want to follow a standard preflop line in this spot and re-raise 3x the original raise. Any other bet size might set of warning bells with anyone paying attention. Slowplaying preflop with a call is just horrible in my book. We want to build the pot and hopefully get heads up against the original raiser.

Roland GTX

Old
Mon Feb 20, 2012, 08:05 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
By the Way, for anyone interested...

Our new dealer "Roberto" is based on a real dealer. The interactions described are the actual ones I have with this guy each time he deals to me.

the real Roberto once dealt me 5 pocket pairs JJ plus in a single half hour dealer shift in a 6/12 FLHE game, and proceeded to crack EVERY ONE of them!

These types of weird things really do happen!

-JDean

P.S. (and yes, to this day I do ask him to rub his hands together to warm them every time he comes to my table, and he does it for me.)

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 20, 2012, 08:54 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
a reg makin' it 5x. looks like he'she's trying to discourage calls and is tryin' to iso the new guy.. i'll raise. make it 75 or so to play to discourage anyone behind to come along,and we can have pos again, and hope the station (new dude) is willing to play his UTG+1 limp hand for a descent raise(in for a penny in for a pound syndrome) with my pocket vowels, and if the reg still wants to play his hand, i dont mind too much seein' a three way flop (though not ideal)
not to nitpick JD but min. would be 45. (raised 20)

Last edited by mtnestegg; Mon Feb 20, 2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old
Mon Feb 20, 2012, 09:07 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2010
I voted raise medium - (or medium/large) - my bet will be 75-99 and I'm tending towards the 99 end.

I really want to discourage the limper and the blinds, whilst not looking too super-strong, but the big raise we have seen should be a strong hand and willing to call a fairly standard sized 3-bet, and I want to get them heads up. I might have gone into the raise large range but I think just below 100 is about enough here, it is 10% of the raisers stack - they might call or reraise here. If they call and we are heads up a pot of 212 will be a good size against there effective stack to get them pot committed on the turn if we want to do that. If they reraise us again here they will look pretty committed and I would then shove preflop.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Mon Feb 20, 2012, 01:06 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2011
I voted for a standard 3-bet here of around $75.

Reg 1 looks like he is trying to isolate the limper and if he probably has the read that he is a station and is looking forward to get a few easy chips off him. I put Reg 1 on a pretty decent hand at this stage.

Agree with EdinFreeMan that if we get 4-bet here then i'm shoving pre-flop.

Old
Mon Feb 20, 2012, 03:28 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
I voted raise medium, I try to always raise a standard amount, and my standard 3 bet is 3x the previous raiser.

Old
Mon Feb 20, 2012, 03:50 PM
(#8)
Since: Nov 2011
Not even Roberto is going to prevent me from raising standard $100 here.
He's got to fall to the law of averages eventually, and if he weren't there, that would be my course of action, I really try to fight my superstitious streak and all.

Old
Mon Feb 20, 2012, 06:05 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnestegg View Post
a reg makin' it 5x. looks like he'she's trying to discourage calls and is tryin' to iso the new guy.. i'll raise. make it 75 or so to play to discourage anyone behind to come along,and we can have pos again, and hope the station (new dude) is willing to play his UTG+1 limp hand for a descent raise(in for a penny in for a pound syndrome) with my pocket vowels, and if the reg still wants to play his hand, i dont mind too much seein' a three way flop (though not ideal)
not to nitpick JD but min. would be 45. (raised 20)
Dang MTNESTEGG!

Can I hire you as my editor!

You are correct again. A min raise is to $45, not $50.

All I can say is:

A) It was late and I was sleepy. I wanted to get this up because I had promised it within aobut 6 hours and didn't want to disappoint the morning Euro shift who might be looking forward to the next hand.

And...

B) The small change this represents really does not matter a ton to the after action.

If the voting swings to a min raise though, I will manually adjust the effects on our stack.

thanks!

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Mon Feb 20, 2012 at 06:07 PM..

Old
Mon Feb 20, 2012, 06:32 PM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2010
Before i bet may i ask a question?

If We remember Reg 1 from before have we seen a 5 x from them before and if so what would it normally be?

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 20, 2012, 06:37 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
Before i bet may i ask a question?

If We remember Reg 1 from before have we seen a 5 x from them before and if so what would it normally be?

Grade b
Hi Grade b.

Here is the info we have on Reg 1, from our Hand #1 pre flop decision:

Seat 2: Reg 1, $800 when we sit, $1058 now.
He is pretty solid, as we remembered.
He has only entered 1 hand since we sat, with AKs in his BB.

The kid 3rd to act open limped (Grandma had sat out to use the rest room), Dentist called, and Reg 1 raised, making it $35 to go.
Kid called, Dentist called.
He flopped the nut flush draw with 2 overs, versus the Kid in Seat 6, and Dentist.
Dentist checked, Reg 1 bet $65. Kid flatted. Dentist folded.
Turn came a blank, and Reg 1 checked. Kid bet $65 into the $235 pot. Reg 1 called.
River hit Reg 1's nut flush, and he led for $100, putting the Kid all in.
Kid pondered for like 30 seconds, sighed and called. He tabled bottom set, and lost.
Kid screamed out "damn suck out! I knew it!", and re-bought for $500.
Reg 1 stacked $260, and went up to $1060.

And this is info from our Lead in...

That table has 3 guys you played some $1/$2 against a while back, and 2 of them are pretty good if you remember; 1 had about $800 in front of him, and the other has about $600. The other person you recognize as a Dentist with a big mouth and very little skill, who was a pretty weak ABC player, but very prone to tilt off a couple of BI per session if he took a beat or 2. He has about $1000 in front of him, and is loudly and boisteriously proclaiming his acumen as he rakes in a $250 pot (stack up to $1250 now).

You do not really recognize anyone else at the table, but you see they have stacks of:

Seat 1: Dentist, $1250
Seat 2: Reg 1, $800
Seat 3: Unknown middle 50's well dressed man, $400.
Seat 4: Reg 2, $600
Seat 5: Unknown mid 20's woman, $525.
Seat 6: Unknown kid who seems a bit frustrated, $225.
Seat 7: Unknown Grandmother type, $375
Seat 8: Unknown mid 30's/early 40's guy, $475, but as you stand there, you see him pull a green chip from his stack and top up to $500.
Seat 9: OPEN.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Mon Feb 20, 2012 at 06:47 PM..

Old
Mon Feb 20, 2012, 07:26 PM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
Dang MTNESTEGG!

Can I hire you as my editor!

You are correct again. A min raise is to $45, not $50.

-JDean
sure! lol im outa work with my back and could use the dough. no biggie like you said no one gonna be min raising anyhow

Old
Mon Feb 20, 2012, 07:38 PM
(#13)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
JD,

I've got one ? too. Since this player is a reg, does he know our past with Roberto? If so, then his read on us could be different now, than it was a hand ago.... and could play into my decision.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 20, 2012, 09:35 PM
(#14)
I'm Still in shock the Dentist folded a hand.

So i voted to do the standard medium raise. 5x isn't too strange i guess given the limper and if Reg 1 wishes to iso, he should have a fairly strong hand.

It will be interesting to see how the others at table react.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 07:38 AM
(#15)
Since: Oct 2011
I have opted for our STD 3x 3Bet, the Reg1 has been playing tight (A,Ks the only hand he has played so far) so he could have a good hand. I would not like to flat call here in this spot to let opps see the flop cheaply as it would give odds to the 5 opps acting behind us to call and A,A doesn't play well in multiway pots.

By 3betting we start building the pot and it will enable us to play either heads up or 3 way at the most to have a good chance of extracting max. value. We have seen that the new mid 30's guy is a bit stationy, once he limps he tends to call raises to see flop. So our 3bet is not going to kill our action as we are sure to get some action from either new mid 30's guy or Reg1 or possibly both of them.

Cheers.

Last edited by deadeyz; Tue Feb 21, 2012 at 07:41 AM..

Old
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 08:47 AM
(#16)
well i know these are usually up for a couple days, but it doesn't look like there's a need for that here any chance of movin' this along?

Old
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 08:56 AM
(#17)
Since: Oct 2010
either 4 or 5,

that depends entirely on what we usually do, since the raiser is a reg who knows us we don't want to give away our hand by raising unusual amounts in this situation.

but i would like to raise on the large side to build a bigger pot and possibly isolate seat 9, if not we play a large pot in position with aces, not bad.

Old
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:57 AM
(#18)
i agree w/ DJ that we should raise the most we can w/o turning our hand up (metaphorically) so i think closer to 4X than 3, but no more than that i think, so i'll stick to medium, but on the larger side of that range, if it doesn't seem out of the ordinary to the reg.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - ------ edit
a 3bet to 100 sets up an SPR of right about 3 on the station.(sweet) and about 4.5 w/ the reg.
while a bigger bet sets up even sweeter SPRs i think it (the larger bet) will tend to fold out too many hands, and i don't want to win 37 bucks w/ this hand if i knew the new guy was truely an "in for a penny in for a pound" kind of guy i would surely make it more to go. i'd also tank this play for a few seconds b4 acting.

Last edited by mtnestegg; Tue Feb 21, 2012 at 11:54 AM..

Old
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 02:26 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
JD,

I've got one ? too. Since this player is a reg, does he know our past with Roberto? If so, then his read on us could be different now, than it was a hand ago.... and could play into my decision.
Hi John.

I really would not think anyone who is a REG, and who may remember our play in the past enough to make adjustments for it would be someone who would not "read" us as being the superstitious type.

Good poker and superstitions may go together in our BRAINS (for instance, a lot of players have a superstition about carrying $50 bills), but they really do not go with playing winning poker.

Everything we've shown is that we try hard to play winning poker.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Fri Feb 24, 2012 at 06:22 AM..

Old
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 02:40 PM
(#20)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
Everything we've shown is that we try hard to play winning poker.

-JDean
I agree there. Just trying to get the max info available, so that I can make the best decision possible.. based on all available info.

I'm voting to go with a medium raise, as I'll make my std 3-bet here. A pot sized raise is to 74, but since 3X is to 75 and is easier with the 3 green chips... I'll make it $75.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com