Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Leaking chips or nothing you can do?

Old
Leaking chips or nothing you can do? - Tue Feb 21, 2012, 08:15 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011

Opponent comes over as a pretty solid player.

I'm UTG+1 with AJ off, so I'm making a standard opening here. I get one caller from the BB. The flop comes A high and he donk bets into me. I feel my ace has a good chance of being good, so I make a raise. Problem here is the BB should just fold, instead he re-raises. I call his minraise.

Next problem on the turn. A king. Ay. Now what. He could have any medium-or-better A (say, A9+), he could have paired his 9 on the flop, but I doubt that. Could he have paired the king? Only if he had the A with it I think. He could be having a high pair like TT,JJ,QQ. He shoves, I fold.

Question: Did I waste a bundle of chips here? I don't think I can call the shove on the turn, the only alternate play I can see here is to fold to his 3-bet on the flop.

Opinions?

Old
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:25 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Ov3rsight!

Preflop, I like the std raise here and would make the same play, as the std raise helps to conceal my hand. With the BB calling, what is the read on this opp? Were they calling frequently to try and defend their blinds? How many hands were they playing? Have they had any hands go to showdown? When trying to plan the rest of the hand, the answers to these questions will definitely play into my decisions later in the hand.

The flop gives me top pair/2nd kicker but has a flush draw. The opp now leads into me for 200. If I plan to put chips into the pot on the turn (which I will, especially if it's not a spade), then this bet by the opp actually prices OUT the flush draw for one street. Due to this, I'm going to call behind and re-evaluate on the turn.
If the opp bet a small enough amount that would price IN the flush draw, then I would raise here.

When the opp 3-bets the flop, A9, A7, 77, 99, 79s and even AK if the opp slowplays larger hands (another reason for needing a read) are well within the opp's range. Due to this, I'm getting out of the hand and mucking here. With the way that the bets have gone, there is no way to tell if AQ is the best hand here and I don't want to be giving chips away. Re-opening the betting by raising the flop, I'm giving the opp a chance to 3-bet bluff me, which is a play they can't make if I call their initial bet.

The turn shove here is most likely going to be two pair or better and I'm going to muck, as I only have top pair.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com