Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Correct call or just foolish?

Old
Correct call or just foolish? - Tue Feb 21, 2012, 08:25 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011

$0.50 45-man turbo, approx 18-20 players left. No specific reads on the villain, except that he has shoved in good spots but has yet to be called. His stats are 24/22 over 49 hands.

I opted to call here because he's most likely shoving with all pocket pairs and any aces, and the pot odds were favorable against that range. Was I correct to call or should I have folded?

Old
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:39 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
We are getting 2 to 1 on our money so we need approximately 33% equity to get even in the long run so this makes almost an any two call. 2/3 rd of the time you lose 1500 more and a third ott you win ~4500 which brings us to even.

KTs isnt optimal but we're getting good enough pot odds. We're only in horrible shape against AA or KK. His 3 bet shoving range here gives us about a 35% odd if we give him ~10% 3 bet % shove which is kinda tight to be honest in this situation. We're basically giving him AA-55 ,AT+,A5s+.

We also have him covered so yeah we dont high five the monitor but i think its a call. Id like to hear some other opinions on this. Hope this helps!

Old
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 01:10 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Feskprins!

To call the button's shove, it will take an additional 1430 chips into a pot that will be 4360 (32.8%).
With under 10BB left, the opp's shove range should be much wider than normal. When I put the numbers into stove, to make this a breakeven play for K10s, the opp has to be playing a range of AQ+ and 99+ (top 5.1%).

Since the opp's shove range, especially from the button with a small stack, should be much wider than this, it IS a +EV play to call.

Unfortunately the opp had a hand at the top end of their range, but I like the call here and would make the same play. Against the opp's range, it will be a +EV play in the long run. Even losing the hand, I'm still in the tourney with 10BB left and would now be looking for a hand to shove.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 01:21 PM
(#4)
Since: May 2011
I wasn't really sure if it was +EV from a "tournament perspective" even though it's +EV in terms of absolute amounts of chips. This is a pretty standard situation so your answers made it clear for me once and for all. Thanks!

Last edited by Feskprins; Tue Feb 21, 2012 at 01:23 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com