Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Thin value

Old
Thin value - Wed Feb 22, 2012, 06:08 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
10 left in a $1.50 27man SnG.

I've been watching vids on thin value betting. What would you do on the river here? Check it down, hope to get to showdown, or bet out and risk a raise to which you'd have to fold? Or would you even call if raised...

Old
Wed Feb 22, 2012, 07:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
this is just me, but i would've took a stab on the turn with two limpers, since it looks like an orphan to me, and if called, checked down the river, but i don't see any value in betting the river. i doubt any worse is calling a river bet with a board texture like you had here. and if you did bet, yes, def . a fold if raised w/ 10 no kick

Old
Wed Feb 22, 2012, 02:21 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Oversight,

In terms of value for the hand. There could be some small value on the river, I think some villians will call down with K high, maybe someone really passive with a 4 or 55 & 66.

But in this instance I think I'm just checking down here. Reason being we are in a tournament not a cash game where thin value is important. In a tournament stack preservation is more important than the extra value here. We are approaching a stort stack phase we would like as long as possible to find a hand and like as much fold equity as possible.

At this stage we can risk $0 to win $450 or risk $150 to win $600. I would go the safe approach.

Thanks
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 22, 2012, 02:34 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Ov3rsight!

I agree with MT. Since the pot was limped into by everyone (especially if the opps had a history fo limping), I'm taking a shot at the pot on the turn. If I get a call on the turn, then I'll check the river, as two pair does have some showdown value.
If I didn't bet the turn, then I'd make a small value bet on the river, as I could be called down by much less than an ace.

The reason for making a bet on the turn or a small value bet on the river is that while there are 10 left, I don't have enough chips to assure myself of getting into the $$, and therefore I need to try to accumulate chips.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com