Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Support Center /

PokerStars Sunday Million 6th Anniversary **OFFICIAL DISCUSSION**

Old
PokerStars Sunday Million 6th Anniversary **OFFICIAL DISCUSSION** - Wed Feb 22, 2012, 11:17 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010

Turn $1 into $1,000,000 with the Sunday Million 6th Anniversary!

The PokerStars Sunday Million turns six -years old on March 11. To celebrate, the guaranteed prize pool is being bumped up to an incredible $6,000,000, with at least $1,000,000 for the winner.

This special-edition tournament takes place at 14:30 ET and has a direct buy-in of $215, but you can qualify for less via hundreds of satellites in the lead up to March 11. There will also be a special 1,000 seat guaranteed satellite running just before the big Sunday Million kicks off, with feeder satellites starting from only $1.

To buy-in direct or register for a satellite, open the PokerStars lobby, and click ‘Tourney’ & ‘Special’.

Sunday Million Anniversary Facts and Team Pro Testimonials

The Sunday Million has racked up some impressive numbers since the first time it ran in 2006:

Total Number of Sunday Million tourneys: 278

First Ever Winner: ‘aaaaaaaa’ (USA)
Total Prize Pool: $444,149,600
Total Entries: 2,116,513

Team PokerStars Pro will be taking part in the 6th Anniversary edition. Here’s why the biggest names in poker love playing this tourney, plus some tips on how play:

Bertrand ‘ElkY’ Grospellier

“My favourite memory of the big Sunday tournament on PokerStars is the time I finished 12th. This was my first really deep run in a tournament of this size, and I was so excited. There is a huge Sunday Million on March 11, with $1M guaranteed for first. It may not feel the same for me as the first time I went deep, but I'll be trying just as hard. See you there.”

Jason Mercier

“When I think of the Sunday Million, I think back to being a 19-21 year old kid, grinding mid-stakes, looking for that big tournament score. I would get excited every week to play the Sunday Million, hoping that would be the day that I would have my first six-figure score.”

Johnny Lodden

“This is one of the few tournaments where you can really score big. I have fun memories of playing the Sunday Million with my buddies, with football games on TV in the background. A friend won a big Sunday tournament in the old days, and first prize was $8,000. A long way from where we are now!”

Liv Boeree

“When playing the Sunday Million, it’s important to be patient. It attracts huge numbers, and in order to navigate your way through, you have to learn to play the waiting game if the cards don’t cooperate.”

Lex Veldhuis

“I like to play really aggressive in the Sunday Million, because there are so many players who wait for this tournament all week, and are too careful with their chips. This allows you to build a big stack early on, and cruise once you have it.”

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Sunday Million 6th Anniv Sat $1 Turbo - Tue Mar 06, 2012, 10:23 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2007
Hey everyone,

The Sunday Million 6th Anniversary Turbos are running at 1 minute past the hour every hour. They have an entry fee of $1.00 and a field of around 250 with about 20 tickets to a $11 satellite to the Sunday million 6th Anniversary.

I played one yesterday and qualified quite easily. I took the tournament dollars and plan to play a few more during the week. I played TAG ABC poker and would suggest it would be possible to build a good tourney bankroll playing these and off course get a shot into the Sunday Million for those of us that do not have the bankroll to enter directly.

The tournaments can be found under Tournament/Satellite in the PokerStars client.

Cheers,

TC

**merged post/thread**

Last edited by CannonLee; Wed Mar 07, 2012 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: post/thread is on topic with the **OFFICIAL DISCUSSION**

Old
Tue Mar 06, 2012, 02:01 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
This is going down on Sunday should be a bigg tourney

Best of luck to all who take part

Thanks for being part of PSO, and Best of Luck at the Tables

T2C

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 06, 2012, 02:10 PM
(#4)
Deleted user
Wonder how many people this is going to attract?
Any guesses folks!

Old
Tue Mar 06, 2012, 03:20 PM
(#5)
(Head Trainer)
I predict... more than 30K peeps.

Gotta love a 7 figure guarantee to 1st place

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 06, 2012, 05:35 PM
(#6)
I have been playing them, first one I was deep when power got cut off and today was all in with AKs v AQ v AJ, when a triple up would give me a ticket, when a Queen hit on the turn to knock me out in 15th place when 12th got a ticket.

Poker can seem easy at times, other times it can be very cruel.

Old
That is ingenious - Tue Mar 06, 2012, 06:02 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Hey everyone,

I took the tournament dollars and plan to play a few more during the week. I played TAG ABC poker and would suggest it would be possible to build a good tourney bankroll playing these and off course get a shot into the Sunday Million for those of us that do not have the bankroll to enter directly.

TC
A quick question for you: If a player who has a small bankroll ($40) wants to find a solid way to grind it, plus wants to play in the big tourney, then this might be a way to do it? How many buy-ins should a player invest of his stack before he gives up, and moves back down to the $0.25 SNG grind?

??????????????

See you at the big game

Last edited by Tonk Shuffle; Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old
Tue Mar 06, 2012, 06:47 PM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2010
Thanks for the hint Top - I like the look of these odds - be it for the T-money or a chance to satty into the big one.

I'm off to bed but will look into these tomorrow - I've put a sticky-note on my keyboard!

Good luck all

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:48 AM
(#9)
Since: Sep 2011
It will prolly be the biggest Million ever and I'm def. in! Last year a good friend of mine binked 8xxk$ in a 9-way deal so now it's my turn to beat his score

Team PokerSchoolOnline - Christopher

Old
Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:41 AM
(#10)
Since: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73REX73 View Post
I have been playing them, first one I was deep when power got cut off and today was all in with AKs v AQ v AJ, when a triple up would give me a ticket, when a Queen hit on the turn to knock me out in 15th place when 12th got a ticket.

Poker can seem easy at times, other times it can be very cruel.
I hear where you are coming from Rex, it requires the cards to hold and some good fortune along the way too. My neighbour called midway through my game yesterday and I missed out on pocket Qs, when I actually checked the hand, it was won with a straight and I would have hit my set on the turn, so I was lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk Shuffle View Post
A quick question for you: If a player who has a small bankroll ($40) wants to find a solid way to grind it, plus wants to play in the big tourney, then this might be a way to do it? How many buy-ins should a player invest of his stack before he gives up, and moves back down to the $0.25 SNG grind?

??????????????

See you at the big game
Hi Tonk, I personally would not spend more than 4 buy ins of my roll which is 10%; remember this only satties to another $11 satty that takes place on the Sunday. If you are grinding the 25 cent 45 mans or 90 mans then it is a good platform to give you the tools to get through these, so maybe you could play 16 x 25 cent games and set aside any profit from these games to play in the satty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinFreeMan View Post
Thanks for the hint Top - I like the look of these odds - be it for the T-money or a chance to satty into the big one.

I'm off to bed but will look into these tomorrow - I've put a sticky-note on my keyboard!

Good luck all

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan
GL Ed I am sure these will suit you down to the ground

Good luck everyone else and with any luck a few of us may satty into the big one.

Cheers,

Tony

Old
Wed Mar 07, 2012, 09:35 AM
(#11)

Bubble boy in this one, at least I cashed.

Old
Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:19 PM
(#12)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk Shuffle View Post

??????????????

See you at the big game
Hey Tonk, It is difficult to say how many buy ins you should commit with only $40 but i think taking a shot at some micro mtt's is okay as long as you understand this very important thing.......Good mtt players with strong roi over thousands of games are only ITM ( in the money ) maybe 15% of the time or less. Soooooooooooooo 85% of the time you won't even cash! This is not said to scare you but to help you deal with this realistically. I say this because I think this is the number one reason people tilt! They play strong for 4 hrs and maybe even get to cash but that 85% of the games eat away at those small cashes.
I am not suggesting that a min cash or small cash is not good as any cash is good. I'm simply pointing out that you need to run deep in tournies to get significant cash to sustain playing them over a long grind.

My suggestion to you would be to have 100 - 200 buy ins for your mtt's that you wish to play and the way you build it up is by being patient and playing your $.25 45 and 90 mans as you have been and winning until you hit those buy ins. Firstly the experience you will gain is invaluable and secondly the patience you will learn by setting goals will help you in 100 times over in your future games.
Once you have those buy ins then start mixing in some mtt play while you sng. In other words play 1 mtt and 3 sng's at a time if you can multi table effectively.

In summary, you are a solid sng 45/90 player so keep playing what works until you have the desired bankroll you need. The pyramids were not built over night!

Giddy Up!

Old
Thumbs up
I Know - Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:21 PM
(#13)
It attracted me this huge tourny! ,,, I like going in these huge specials,, just in case lightning wants to strike the old cat in the tail!!
Good luck who ever goes in!!

Old
But Just This ONE Time... - Wed Mar 07, 2012, 04:22 PM
(#14)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19honu62 View Post
Hey Tonk,... i think taking a shot at some micro mtt's is okay as long as you understand this very important thing.......Good mtt players with strong roi over thousands of games are only ITM ( in the money ) maybe 15% of the time or less. Soooooooooooooo...85% of the games eat away at those small cashes... you need to run deep in tournies to get significant cash to sustain playing them over a long grind.

My suggestion to you would be to have 100 - 200 buy ins for your mtt's that you wish to play and the way you build it up is by being patient and playing your $.25 45 and 90 mans as you have been and winning until you hit those buy ins. Firstly the experience you will gain is invaluable and secondly the patience you will learn by setting goals will help you in 100 times over in your future games.
Once you have those buy ins then start mixing in some mtt play while you sng. In other words play 1 mtt and 3 sng's at a time if you can multi table effectively.
The pyramids were not built over night!

Giddy Up!
Gosh, darn, yes, you are right, and I know it. In the future I will stick to $0.25 and $0.10 buy-ins until I have $100 in my bank roll. However, from time to time, I would like to take shots at bigger tournaments as a treat for grinding up a bit. If I can get into this tournament for $1, then a minimum cash would be at least +500%ish to my BR, and I could move up to $1 SNGs right away. If I fail my next $1 shot will be when my BR=$60.

But I know I will probably be out a dollar (2.5% of my BR) and I am just rationalizing the expense. Stick to plan A: No deposit ever needed. Be patient.

Remarkably, on the other hand, poker is probably the cheapest hobby I have ever had. And where in Canada can you get a cup of coffee for a dollar?

Old
Sun Mar 11, 2012, 09:36 AM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
Today is the Day Good luck to anyone taking part

Thanks for being part of PSO, and Best of Luck at the Tables

T2C

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thumbs up
Squeeked out a win - Sun Mar 11, 2012, 11:44 PM
(#16)
Despite bad beats I held on to go deep enough to cash,,,didnt let my ak with akx flop loss to a flush chaser to the river tilt me,,like it used to! along with another suck out,,, I played the first 3 hrs up to 14k and down to 8 then up to a high of 53 and then went card dead and got shuved and raised at by big stacks with my crap holdings so I pso d a cash out of it anyway!

PokerStars Tournament #563020010, No Limit Hold'em
Buy-In: $200.00/$15.00 USD
33732 players
Total Prize Pool: $6746400.00 USD
Tournament started 2012/03/11 14:30:00 ET

Dear gmanwicksy,

You finished the tournament in 3853rd place. A USD 472.24 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

You earned 97.69 tournament leader points in this tournament. For information about our tournament leader board, see our web site at http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/tour.../leader-board/

Congratulations!

Thank you for participating.

Old
Mon Mar 12, 2012, 12:05 AM
(#17)
Since: Jul 2010
Congrats, Gman, Tanker guys ROCK!!!

Old
Mon Mar 12, 2012, 11:38 AM
(#18)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Great job to everyone cashing.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com