Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Hands

Old
Hands - Wed Feb 22, 2012, 06:09 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
I hope i posted this in the right place? My question is i was recently watching a poker game on T.V. and the announcer stated if you keep getting the same hand,say 3 to 5 times in an hour that that was the poker gods way of telling you to play that hand. I wanted to no what others thought about that statement because this happens to me and i imagine it happens to others as well. I will get the same hand 2 to 5 times in an hour,let's say it was deuce 6 off suit,it really could be any hand and i wondered if the poker gods were trying to tell me something,should i be taking a chance and gamble from time to time on this hand, by the way it usually is not a very good hand. Thoughts,suggestions or ideas please reply,thanks for reading.

Old
Wed Feb 22, 2012, 06:27 PM
(#2)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi corvids!

I can definitely say that's not true for me. In just under 2 hrs live last night (probably equivalent to less than an hour online), I was dealt 27o, 37o, 49o, 3 10o, 48o, 28o and 39o at least 3 times each.... those are horrible hands and didn't play a single one of them.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
hands - Thu Feb 23, 2012, 12:07 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
that is interesting will it help maybe one things for sure all those hands i will play in limit games,thanks.

Old
Thu Feb 23, 2012, 12:22 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
If you are sitting at my table I happily encourage you to play all of those hands.

When you are not sitting at my table, I discourage you gambling with them much as they are terrible in terms of hand value (they are even worse to be getting involved with in limit btw). Therefore I suggest just folding them and saving your money for +EV hand values and situations.

The TV announcer was probably making a joke.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
hands - Thu Feb 23, 2012, 07:57 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
When i play limit i will play any 2 cards depending upon the situation/position/stack size. Yes the announcer was joking it was the party poker 24 hour cash game i was watching,the player they were commenting on was having all his good hands beaten so the announcer made the comment that since he kept getting the same bad hands that the poker gods were trying to tell him to play those hands..

Old
Thu Feb 23, 2012, 08:15 PM
(#6)
I think it means not much is happening on the felt and if the announcer wants to be paid he has to to say something.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sometimes you gotta trust your gut - Tue Mar 06, 2012, 12:22 PM
(#7)
Since: Mar 2012
I think this is hilarious as it happens to me pretty often and I usually pay close attention to the cards that come out even after I've folded and I notice that maybe 1 out of the 4 times I get the hand I would have hit trips or even a full house but usually not till the river and most likely I would've folded by than or not get paid off anyway So generally even if they are telling you something it's no that helpful

Old
Tue Mar 06, 2012, 12:53 PM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMI777 View Post
I think this is hilarious as it happens to me pretty often and I usually pay close attention to the cards that come out even after I've folded and I notice that maybe 1 out of the 4 times I get the hand I would have hit trips or even a full house but usually not till the river and most likely I would've folded by than or not get paid off anyway So generally even if they are telling you something it's no that helpful
Lol, this is a funny topic as I believe it's in our nature to notice things like this. IMI777 made a good comment. I actually do spend a bit of time seeing what I would've hit in the flop had I not folded. The most interesting thing in this sort of "hobby" is seeing if you would've made it anywhere after the flop.
The answer to that question usually turns out to be "no" for me. Let's say you played 72 off and the board came KJ772... How often are you getting past the flop here with a bet from an opponent? In my case it's pretty much never. The whole poker gods idea should be stored away in your mind in the "joke" section, but it's definitely fun to pretend sometimes

Old
Tue Mar 06, 2012, 01:08 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Don't remember where I heard this line, but it went something like this:

You will find a portion of hands folded would have won if played. If you notice that its below one in ten, you're too loose. If you notice it is over 3 in ten, you're too tight.

No idea if there is any truth in it, but I can tell you one thing, and this is an absolute: The poker gods are real (censored) who enjoy messing with a player's mind.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com