Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

the big $4.40

Old
the big $4.40 - Wed Feb 22, 2012, 11:09 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
this ones from today,satellite win got me into the $4.40 for 10 fpp i played very tight up till now at the end of about 20 hours without sleep hasnt helped me

no real information on the villain
my read on his limp from early position was maybe a large PP or AK,AQ trying to trap

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

we have just over 300 players left and i have enough of a stack to carry on comfortably for some time yet,when the flop hit the board and he shoved,i thought my initial read was good and he didnt want me possibly drawing the flush,so i have 2 pair and a pretty good chance to double up,this hand if it went my way would have moved me into the top 3rd of remaining field,as you can see i couldnt resist and made the call,any thoughts are appreciated

Old
Thu Feb 23, 2012, 01:40 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi milehigh0874!

Especially with having satty'd into this for 10FPP and getting a good cash already, the goal is to accumulate chips for a very deep run and the larger payout amounts.

With hitting two pair on the flop, especially when I'm heads-up against a limper, instead of going for a check/raise here, I'd make a value bet here. Since the opp limped, they most likely have some sort of speculative hand (which includes many combinations that could have hit a part of the flop or have a draw with the flop). There's a made straight available, along with multiple straight draws and also a flush draw.
If the opp would check behind, then I'd be giving them a free card that they could potentially beat me with and I don't want that to be a possibility.
I'd lead out here for about 3/4 pot and be ready to call any raise from the opp.

When the opp flips his two cards over, I'm a 60-40 favorite to more than double up (due to the SB and antes), which is a +EV play, but the opp got lucky and hit the straight.

In this situation, I want to do anything I can to get the chips in ahead on the flop without giving the opp an opportunity to draw to beat my two pair without paying for the draw.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com