Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

why am i winning SNG's and cant score in MTT's

Old
why am i winning SNG's and cant score in MTT's - Thu Feb 23, 2012, 05:10 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
hi guys,

i wanted to start this thread so that maybe i along with everyone paricipating in this thread can get some useful info on developing better skills in taking down MTT's. I wanted to start off by saying that i have been following some live training courses, viewed many videos from the video archive and have picked up a lot of good information from them. I personally have a "problem". At least i think its a problem. I usually play 18 and 27 man SNG's and 6 out of 10 times(aproximately) am in the money. Usually taking either 1st or 2nd place. Even though im doing well in those, i find myself lacking in MTT's. Not making the money and getting knocked out of the game mid way through the tournament. Sometimes due to stack getting too small or just getting unlucky when i decide to shove with a premium hand and getting knocked out because the donk with a bigger stack decided to just call. I would love to get some feedback or if someone could send me a link from the video archive of what should be done from the moment you sit at the table to the end stages. Im not talking about a deep stack tourny when you start off with 5000-10000 chips. Im talking about the ones that you start off with 2000 and have stage intervals of 12mins. Im sure that most players surfing these forums are in the same categories of tournaments and would also be interested in some feedback from the big boys. thanks for reading and i am looking forward to hearing and reading from you guys.

Old
re post - Thu Feb 23, 2012, 06:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2011
i like to play very tight early,only open with premium hands,similar to sit n go strategy dont dwindle your chips away early ,so you have some thing to play with when the blinds get bigger when you get to the mid stages you dont have to rush to build your chipstack with mediocre hands an example today i played the big $4.40 finished 330 ish position and really only played around 14/250+ hands and made it well past the bubble,people are always going to suck out on you,and theres always going to be bad beats if there wasnt games would never end

Old
Thu Feb 23, 2012, 06:37 AM
(#3)
thanks milehigh for your reply. id love to hear more form others (correction we'd)

Old
re post - Thu Feb 23, 2012, 07:18 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2011
no worries m8,idont know about the training videos but the pokerschool courses has a segment on mtt play and they are very helpful worth a read

Old
Thu Feb 23, 2012, 01:14 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehigh0874 View Post
i like to play very tight early,only open with premium hands,similar to sit n go strategy dont dwindle your chips away early ,so you have some thing to play with when the blinds get bigger when you get to the mid stages you dont have to rush to build your chipstack with mediocre hands an example today i played the big $4.40 finished 330 ish position and really only played around 14/250+ hands and made it well past the bubble,people are always going to suck out on you,and theres always going to be bad beats if there wasnt games would never end
+1

I try to play tight early, then loosen up based on the number of BB that are left in my stack. A player will need much more patience in an MTT compared to an STT. There is much more variance in MTT's too, which is why the bankroll recommendations are for 100 buy-ins. It's also very important to learn how to manage a short stack in MTT's and to be able to grind and survive on one.

Other than the video section, I'd look into the live trainings, as there are a number of them that are for MTT play (either a review or watching the trainers in a live game).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 23, 2012, 01:41 PM
(#6)
thanks john,
i did find a great video from thelangolier about how to manage your short and middle stack. explained it very well.

Old
Fri May 10, 2013, 03:57 PM
(#7)
Since: May 2013
I haven't had much trouble making it to the money in the MTT's (although most of the time I don't). One thing I wouldn't take so literally is "play tight in the beginning". That's so SnG. In MTTs I like getting into lots of small pots in the beginning and see how they go. Once I sense weakness, I bet everyone out of the pot and take it down without showdown. It doesn't matter which two cards you're holding. You can't just sit and wait for a monster hand to appear. Of course, if you misread your opponents and get caught bluffing... well then you register in the next tournament

Old
Sat May 11, 2013, 05:39 AM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by raccy View Post
I haven't had much trouble making it to the money in the MTT's (although most of the time I don't). One thing I wouldn't take so literally is "play tight in the beginning". That's so SnG. In MTTs I like getting into lots of small pots in the beginning and see how they go. Once I sense weakness, I bet everyone out of the pot and take it down without showdown. It doesn't matter which two cards you're holding. You can't just sit and wait for a monster hand to appear. Of course, if you misread your opponents and get caught bluffing... well then you register in the next tournament
How do you bluff a station out of a pot when he hits a 2 on a AJ2 board when they go to showdown with any pair?

Old
Sat May 11, 2013, 08:20 AM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2011
Hi Aga, I too suffer the same problem as yourself. I have a 13% ROI overall but yet can't hit a big score in any tourneys. I've played the Storm 15 times for instance and only min cashed once.

I'm not overly concerned. I've had decent scores elsewhere ($1400 package last month for instance) and I know I'll get one eventually on Stars. I think the far larger fields on Stars makes it a lot harder. Remember, it only takes one decent cash and all your losses are wiped out.

Just keep playing decent poker, keep analysing your game, use those SnG wins to keep building your roll and eventually the big win will come. Remember, in any one game there is a lot off luck involved but as you've proved in SnGs, the skill lies in long term results.

Old
Sat May 11, 2013, 12:19 PM
(#10)
Since: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
How do you bluff a station out of a pot when he hits a 2 on a AJ2 board when they go to showdown with any pair?
"Bluffing a station" sounds like a bad idea But to answer your question (because they might not be a "station"), how about building a tighter table image for a few rounds? You never get away with bluffing too often. The "station" might have a good read of you and know that the bottom pair is stronger than your bluff. Another idea could be to make your bet look like a value bet instead of a scary bluff.

Old
Sun May 26, 2013, 01:57 PM
(#11)
Since: Apr 2012
I usually try to see cheap flops with speculative hands, like low pairs, suited connectors, etc. Have to remember tho, suitedness gets tricky, if you get flush, someone can have better flush(oh really? )
You WILL have to take some flips or push small edges, unless you go all-in like AAvsKK. Yeah definitely playing for stacks QQ+ early pre-flop, either you double up or bust out, mincash is same as busto for me. If i double up early, i can easily look for good spots, and i will tighten my range. When i play i want to make FT, be it 45 man SNG's, which i play usually, or 10k runner field.
Also in deep tourneys i will call 3bets more often, like if i raise 67s, someone 3 bets if its regular tourney, i fold usually, but if we are deep, i can make the call and try to crack your premiums.
If you get medium-big stack in middle stages, blinds and antes make nice pots themselves, so start to look for places to steal, widen your range. One tricky thing is at the bubble, a lot of players become VERY tight, this is also in MTT strategy here on PSO, sometimes villains just never adjust, they remain tight all the way. Steal blinds as much as you can
And yes in MTT you have to be brave lol, ship it in!!!

Last edited by CrazYJohnnie; Mon May 27, 2013 at 02:03 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com