Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Big Pots, Bad Plays,

Old
Big Pots, Bad Plays, - Thu Feb 23, 2012, 07:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2011
Ok, I think I already know the answer, but I'd like an analysis of my play here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t8yYwI7eaU
**I'm sure I saw a way to embed video's on here before, but I can't figure it out now....sorry.

I'm sure I only get rewarded for the terrible call at the end to re-enforce future bad play....

Old
Thu Feb 23, 2012, 09:39 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
PSO's hand replayer is under the 'Tools' link at the top of the page, or here:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/replayer/

If you play with this person any significant amount at all, I would note that their calling range on the flop and turn is super-wide, and that they are capable of bluffing the river. I think river bluffing is a huge thing you should be noting at the lower buy-ins, because conventional strategy is based around passive opponents (e.g. bet when you have it; when they bet big, fold).

Old
Fri Feb 24, 2012, 02:16 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi BandShooter,

Maybe it would help if you could explain your thinking about why you feel the river call is so terrible. You haven't given any reads, and the only reads that I think makes the play bad can't possibly be given what the villain actually showed up with.

You have less than a pot sized bet left on the river, doing the math you need to win about 29% of the time to break even on this call. As I see it I expect you to have the best hand over half the time here (and I didn't factor in total bluffs like he had).

Hint: What hands do you think are in his range on the river, and how many combos are you losing to vs. beating?

Personally without reads I would probably have bet all in on the river instead of check-called. Since we have to pay off a flush anyway due to the price and combos of other hands he can take this line with, I want to make sure I get full value from TT-QQ which will often check behind us if we check.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Feb 24, 2012, 08:48 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Huh, what did you do wrong?? Maybe betting the river is better than check/calling but I see no reason not to get the money in. Our opponent has shown zero strength. He probably does not have 55, a 7 (unless it's 77), or 66--he would have raised by now. He's probably not raising a hand with an 8 in it in early position unless he has 88. So the only hands we're really worried about are 77, 88, 99, AA, and hearts. We beat the rest of his range. Hearts are a very legitimate concern. But can he have hands here that we beat? What about TT, JJ, QQ? He'd probably call a bet with those if he's made it this far, but he is likely to check them behind.

Against this opponent, you appear to have played the hand perfectly.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com