Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

My last hand on the Red Spade

Old
My last hand on the Red Spade - Sun Feb 26, 2012, 11:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2008
This player was very very loose and mostly passive, given my stack of about 28 BB and the way he was playing i believe i was pretty much ahead of his range and that also i had some fold equity

After all i just think it didnt go my way.

2nd very deep run on the Red Spade, last one 263 of 28338 and today 136 of 24736, iside 1% both times, I guess I just need some key hands late on the tourney to hold or win a flip.

Thanks

Old
Mon Feb 27, 2012, 02:24 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi AJEI!

Thanks for the read info, that the player was loose. This helps to make my decision here easier.

With the opp std raising to 64k, I normally like to make my 3-bets between pot sized and 3X the previous bet. If the opp was aggressive, I'd bet on the smaller end (if I wanted to leave them room to shove over me and wanted to call a shove) or with a more passive player, I'll go toward the higher end. A 3X raise here is to 192k, which is above my 1/3 stack commitment point. Due to this, I would shove in this situation, especially with a loose opponent.

If I was to flat the raise here, then that is going to most likely make the limper call, so that I would more outs that could beat me, due to the extra player being in the pot. With this being the case, I would not flat the raise. It will be either a shove or if against an extremely tight opp (only playing QQ+) then I might be able to find a fold here, but with a loose opp, I would shove.

JJ vs a top 10% hand (much tighter range than a loose passive would normally play) is a 57-43% favorite. Against a looser range (25%) JJ is a 2-1 favorite. By shoving, I'm never going to have more than 50% in the pot, so as long as the opp is calling with a range looser than top 5%, it will be a +EV play for me.... and that's if they never fold.

Great run in the tournies and I totally agree that if a player is going to win a tourney, they normally have to win a few coin-flips along the way.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com