Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Some advice please

Old
Default
Some advice please - Mon Feb 27, 2012, 09:51 AM
(#1)
sydhollow97's Avatar
Since: Jan 2012
Posts: 82
Ok, I'm sort in a weird emotional state with poker. It's sort of like being with a girl for 1-2 years and for the past week you don't wanna go out, but instead sit around and play Call of Duty on your Xbox. Now, there's nothing wrong with her and you're not really tired of her, but you just have this feeling that you're going to go out to dinner and screw things up. Because, well you're just not "in the mood".

In other words, after I won 1st in one of the PSO tourny's I got my $5.69. And with all the help from everyone here and the Live Training sessions, I was able to grind that up to $58.00. Now, I feel sort of stuck. What do you guys do in situations like this? You know, to get back to to the tables with that "first date" feeling? I don't feel like I'm playing bad really just have this sort of lack of attention for the game. Any motivational speeches someone would like to share?

Lol, thanks in advance guys.
 
Old
Default
Mon Feb 27, 2012, 10:11 AM
(#2)
holdemace486's Avatar
Since: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,760
Hi mate, originally you had a challenge,took your BR to a nice amount, I get this feeling all the time once I have reached some sort of goal.
We need to set ourselves a new goal, finding inspiration is some times difficult to find.
Where do we start?, remember the effort you have put it to get this BR, they are now your chips,do not let any 1 take them chips away from you. Declare war on the poker nation with a strong defense.
Play to be number 1 in the rankings, earning respect from 1000s. We will fight them on the cash tables,we will fight them in the sit and goes, we will fight them in the MTTS but we shall never never surrender.
 
Old
Default
Mon Feb 27, 2012, 11:41 AM
(#3)
Cairn Destop's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,477
BronzeStar
I'm more inclined to quote the movie "Wall Street."

GREED IS GOOD!


Serious though, I can understand your problem. You went from nada, got a huge infusion of cash, and now you have turned it over ten-fold. Looks like the sea is clear to the next horizon, but the charts read "there be dragons here."

Fear is keeping you frozen. Time to use bankroll management and try growing your bankroll even higher. However, it is also time to evaluate your position. Ask yourself the following:

1 ---- Where did I get my money? (ring, tourney, SNG)
2 ---- Which game? (5¢/10¢, PSO, 45-player game for 25¢)
3 ---- What is the next level? (10¢/20¢, MTT, SNG for 50¢)
4 ---- How much as a goal? (Think small steps, go for $100)
5 ---- When should I hit my goal? (Consider double the time you took to hit $50)

Repeat until you find the level where poker changes from play to work. Then you can decide which side of that line you want. Just remember the most important thing is not to BS the guy in the mirror.
 
Old
Default
Mon Feb 27, 2012, 12:10 PM
(#4)
sydhollow97's Avatar
Since: Jan 2012
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn Destop View Post
I'm more inclined to quote the movie "Wall Street."

GREED IS GOOD!


Serious though, I can understand your problem. You went from nada, got a huge infusion of cash, and now you have turned it over ten-fold. Looks like the sea is clear to the next horizon, but the charts read "there be dragons here."

Fear is keeping you frozen. Time to use bankroll management and try growing your bankroll even higher. However, it is also time to evaluate your position. Ask yourself the following:

1 ---- Where did I get my money? (ring, tourney, SNG)
2 ---- Which game? (5¢/10¢, PSO, 45-player game for 25¢)
3 ---- What is the next level? (10¢/20¢, MTT, SNG for 50¢)
4 ---- How much as a goal? (Think small steps, go for $100)
5 ---- When should I hit my goal? (Consider double the time you took to hit $50)

Repeat until you find the level where poker changes from play to work. Then you can decide which side of that line you want. Just remember the most important thing is not to BS the guy in the mirror.
Excellent advice Cairn. And when I read "Fear keeps you frozen." It all started makiing sense. You're read is spot-on lol. Anyways I'd like to answer your 5 questions, really quick and see if I'm on the right track.

1. Full ring games
2. 1c/2c
3. 5nl buying in for 5$ at first and then maybe moving up to $7
4. This is an interesting one because my ultimate goal is to somehow make $70 in the next 2 weeks to be able to afford to buy Poker Copilot before my evaluation runs out. But for the next goal I usually take in 10$ increments. So 70$.. $80... and so on
5. This is something to think about also, because I've never really done the time thing. I hit $58 in 17,000 hands so possible try to hit $70 in another 13,000?

Also, when would it be a good idea to move up in stakes? I've had problems with this about a year and a half ago where I rarely practiced any kind of bankroll at all and would end up broke very quickly. My game is considerably better, but I'm sort of riding on one bullet here because I don't have the funds to deposit any more in case I go broke.

Any input would be helpful, and thanks again.
 
Old
Default
Mon Feb 27, 2012, 12:33 PM
(#5)
Cairn Destop's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,477
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydhollow97 View Post

1. Full ring games
2. 1c/2c
3. 5nl buying in for 5$ at first and then maybe moving up to $7
4. This is an interesting one because my ultimate goal is to somehow make $70 in the next 2 weeks to be able to afford to buy Poker Copilot before my evaluation runs out. But for the next goal I usually take in 10$ increments. So 70$.. $80... and so on
5. This is something to think about also, because I've never really done the time thing. I hit $58 in 17,000 hands so possible try to hit $70 in another 13,000?

Also, when would it be a good idea to move up in stakes? I've had problems with this about a year and a half ago where I rarely practiced any kind of bankroll at all and would end up broke very quickly. My game is considerably better, but I'm sort of riding on one bullet here because I don't have the funds to deposit any more in case I go broke.

Any input would be helpful, and thanks again.

There is an old saying about thems that don't know, teach. To paraphrase, thems that are American give advice on money games. That said, weigh my comments and act accordingly.

1 ---- Good, you know which style of play is to your liking. Concentrate on that for building your bankroll, but keep a small portion on the side to try other games. Sometimes the variety helps clear the mind when you have a rough run. I play the 27-player SNG games, but I'll play a 9-player SNG Omaha hi/lo when I've had a bad time. If it were me, I might set aside 8$ and play the 25¢ SNG games as an occassional change of pace.

2 ---- Now I'm talking about when I played and before Black Friday's change. I found that level never generated VPPS, in spite of what other players said. Since the new system is a contribution system, that could be dead wrong. However, you are doing good at this level, and that's the important thing.

3 ---- Another good decision, going up just a little. If you can stick to a buy-in of $5, you'll be able to do ten sessions. I define a "session" as one hour, or more, at a single table. Make an evaluation after the third session. If you are profitable, continue at this level. If you have a small loss, continue, but try learning what is causing the drain. If it is a sizable loss, 30% or more, consider dropping back. I'm sure others can better advice regarding bankroll management.

4 ---- An excellent goal. You should set your goal high enough that you can afford the software and still be able to play at your older level. This might mean dropping back to the 1¢/2¢ level after the purchase.

5 ---- Whatever you use as a measuring stick, continue to apply it. Mine was time versus money. Yours is based on hands played. Neither is right or wrong. You need to use whatever makes you comfortable. I will say you have a better grasp of goal setting than many here, if you continue on this course, I'm sure you'll be fine.
 
Old
Default
Mon Feb 27, 2012, 01:02 PM
(#6)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,809
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Syd!

For when to move up to the next level, here is a link to the bankroll management section from the core course... I think you'll find some very useful infomation here.

John (JWK24)


Super-Moderator



6 Time Bracelet Winner


 
Old
Default
Mon Feb 27, 2012, 02:07 PM
(#7)
sydhollow97's Avatar
Since: Jan 2012
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi Syd!

For when to move up to the next level, here is a link to the bankroll management section from the core course... I think you'll find some very useful infomation here.

John (JWK24)
Very useful sir, I don't believe i have read it before. I think I'll shoot for the "Serious Player" management for now. Atleast for the next couple levels or so. Poker is not exactly the main source of income for me but I can't afford to lose my bankroll because it would mean no more poker. So with that said, how similar is the competition from 1/2c to 5/10c? Should I be ok on the 20x buy in for the micro levels for the time being?
 
Old
Default
Mon Feb 27, 2012, 02:42 PM
(#8)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,809
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi syd!

Honestly, I'm more of a tourney player and limit cash game player, but started playing more ring games right before black friday.
I've only played one short session of 5/10 NL and the one that I did play had a table of mostly better players and one HUGE fish at it. I was able to stack the fish, then lost a bit back to some of the others. But with it only being 1 table, 1 time, I don't have the time at these tables to give a good answer. I'd think they would have some better players, but haven't put the time in on them to be sure.

The play in the small number of 2/5 NL games that I was able to play was a bit better than the 2NL tables.... but unfortunately, I hit a pretty bad variance run at them (-$20).. which can happen, especially in the short term.

John (JWK24)


Super-Moderator



6 Time Bracelet Winner


 
Old
Default
Mon Feb 27, 2012, 04:57 PM
(#9)
sydhollow97's Avatar
Since: Jan 2012
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi syd!

Honestly, I'm more of a tourney player and limit cash game player, but started playing more ring games right before black friday.
I've only played one short session of 5/10 NL and the one that I did play had a table of mostly better players and one HUGE fish at it. I was able to stack the fish, then lost a bit back to some of the others. But with it only being 1 table, 1 time, I don't have the time at these tables to give a good answer. I'd think they would have some better players, but haven't put the time in on them to be sure.

The play in the small number of 2/5 NL games that I was able to play was a bit better than the 2NL tables.... but unfortunately, I hit a pretty bad variance run at them (-$20).. which can happen, especially in the short term.

John (JWK24)
Either way, your input is much appreciated
 
Old
Default
Tue Feb 28, 2012, 01:02 PM
(#10)
sydhollow97's Avatar
Since: Jan 2012
Posts: 82
Goal of $70 reached! lol I really did get back a lot of motivation so thank you to everyone again! Currently running at 16.43 BB's won every 100 hands over 19,306 hands. Feeling really good once again! Hopefully off to a $100 in the next 3-4 days!
 
Old
Default
Tue Feb 28, 2012, 02:56 PM
(#11)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,809
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Good job. Keep it up

John (JWK24)


Super-Moderator



6 Time Bracelet Winner


 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com