Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PSO Open Skill League - fold or call ?

Old
PSO Open Skill League - fold or call ? - Mon Feb 27, 2012, 10:26 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey guys, I've played this hand at a PSO Open Skill League Tournament. My question is, I should've called ? Or the fold was a good play.
By the pot odds I was getting I think I did a good play, but I wanted your feedback guys.

Thanks

Old
Mon Feb 27, 2012, 01:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi fp_boss77!

First, welcome to the forum. .

The key to the league games is to survive as long as possible to accumulate points. Players do not want to take chances to accumulate chips, but to survive and to get their chips in when they know that they have the best hand.

In this situation, with 55 in the big blind, this is a great situation IF I can see the flop cheap. With an open raise to 7.5BB and two callers after, 55 is most likely not ahead... espeically 4 handed. There are going to be a number of cards in their hands above a 5 and I could also be dominated by a higher pair.

Due to the risk involved here, I'm folding 55 in a league game every time in this situation to a much larger raise than normal (std raises are normally to 3BB) and with 2 callers after.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JWK24; Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 05:38 PM..

Old
Mon Feb 27, 2012, 02:19 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey JWK24, thanks for the welcome and I'll sure take a look at the "Tips for Getting Started".

Yeah, certainly the raiser and the 2 callers were ahead of my pocket 55. It was a good fold. But it always feels bad to fold a pocket pair and then se the set on the flop, but as everybody say "Yeah. This is poker" lol.

Thanks for the hand evaluation.

Old
Mon Feb 27, 2012, 02:32 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi fp_boss77!

Whenever playing, that's why a player doesn't want to be results oriented... but to be able to make the best decisions possible. As long as we're making the correct decisions, the results will work themselves out.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com