Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

working the odds

Old
working the odds - Tue Feb 28, 2012, 03:19 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
since i was young i always played poker but had no idea about odds, i knew that hands had odds.thankfully i read the section in the courses covering odds and my game has improved leaps and bounds. I also found that by plaing games such as omaha, stud, badugi the odds were greatly improved and easier to work out ive found a bunch of hands with similar odds that seem to be doing the trick. in a freeroll razz tourney i got myself up to 30k stack and had to go out shortly after the second break i didnt get back till after id been knocked out i finished in 135th but if id not gone out i feel i could of done alot better as my win stats were 85% at showdown 8 pots won no showdown. does any one know a formula to work out if the odds of your apponent has the card/cards you need?

Old
Tue Feb 28, 2012, 03:46 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Hi 66theOnLYoNe. If you're asking what I think you're asking, then you really don't have to worry about whether or not your opponents are holding the cards you need. Unseen cards are unseen cards. They might be in the deck, they might be in someone else's hand, they might have been burned, but it doesn't matter. If you see your two hole cards and a flop, you see 5 out of 52 cards. Whatever card you need will always have a 1 in 47 chance of peeling off on the turn. If it doesn't, it will have a 1 in 46 chance of peeling off on the river. If one of your opponents happens to be holding it, that doesn't reduce the odds to 0.

If that doesn't answer your question, feel free to post again. There are plenty of people here who would be happy to help you out.

Welcome to PSO!

Last edited by JWK24; Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 05:39 PM..

Old
thnxs - Tue Feb 28, 2012, 05:00 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2012
yeah that was exactly what i was askin nice one panickypoker

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com