Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

2.20 6 max Was this call so bad?

Old
2.20 6 max Was this call so bad? - Tue Feb 28, 2012, 04:38 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012

I was new to the table, so i dont have any info on the villains.
This hand was played in the final table bubble of the 2.20 6 max, i usualy dont play this kind of hands, but let me tell you my thoughts and let me know if i was wrong please.
First of all i had good odds to play it, i was 60 bb deep and it was sooted
besides that this was a 6 max wich i guess its right to play a bit more loose.
The villain of the button had QQ, he played this hand very badly in my opinion, if he reraised it would be a easy fold for me.
The raiser started complaining in the chat box saying it was a donk call pre flop, so my guess was he had AK AQ AJ.

So my question is:
Are my thoughts wrong about this hand? Would you guys fold it?

Old
Tue Feb 28, 2012, 10:27 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi WildCard,

In 6max yes, you will play a little looser than full ring as long as it's loose aggressive rather than loose passive (calling too much).

In this spot I'm definately folding the 93s. As TheLangolier likes to say we are paying to play a bad hand out of position. There are very few flops we will be happy to put more money in on. We do have a big stack so we can afford to leak a few chips in speculative spots. But if you are new to the table and have no reads on these guys I don't think this is that spot.

We catch a nice flop for us. 2 pair but with the 3 suited cards. After you've checked the raiser leads out and the button flat calls again. I would definately raise here. We don't want to give these guys a free look at the turn card. The pot is now 132k still a good return on our speculation if we take it down now. I would raise here to something like 124k to deny odds to someone with the Ah.

On the turn we fill up and I think this is a good spot for a check raise now, or give someone a free look to hit a heart on the river. The small 24k bet looks pretty weak, the button flats again. I think 84k is a bit small. The pot is now 200k I think we can raise here to 100k-120k and someone who calls 84k is still calling.

Heart comes on the river, so taking the punt here that our friend was on the flush draw we are betting the pot. I think this is ok. If we had raised a bit bigger on the turn this bet could just be allin.

Congrats on winning a massive pot here on the FT bubble. I hope you put that massive stack to good use on the final table

Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ahar010; Tue Feb 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM..

Old
Tue Feb 28, 2012, 11:38 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Marking as answered

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Feb 29, 2012, 02:29 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2012
Thanks for the evaluation Andy, very helpful.
I reached the FT with 3 Mil in chips but i ended 4th, not bad but when you get there with a good lead you expect more

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com