Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

giving up poker

Old
giving up poker - Wed Feb 29, 2012, 01:44 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
o'k i have been working out the cost of playing and with the way it is going i will be in awfull debt so i'm gunna give it up playing for money i am going to play the open league only as the only one making money is the site i'm fed up going deep into tourney's only to go card dead it's rare to do well but the same old things keep happening wen i do i cannot risk my tourney with the kinda cards i keep getting while the one's around me get it easy i struggle with the why alway's me to go card dead why can't it be that easy 4 me it's like i'm being kept at a certain level i play all day everyday and just feel robbed with the amount of times the same things happening and never any breakthrough i don't think it's worth me putting money on

Old
Wed Feb 29, 2012, 03:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycheen View Post
o'k i have been working out the cost of playing and with the way it is going i will be in awfull debt so i'm gunna give it up playing for money i am going to play the open league only as the only one making money is the site i'm fed up going deep into tourney's only to go card dead it's rare to do well but the same old things keep happening wen i do i cannot risk my tourney with the kinda cards i keep getting while the one's around me get it easy i struggle with the why alway's me to go card dead why can't it be that easy 4 me it's like i'm being kept at a certain level i play all day everyday and just feel robbed with the amount of times the same things happening and never any breakthrough i don't think it's worth me putting money on
Hi jimmycheen,

Try attending our livetrainings! There is a lot of helpful information to improve our poker game in tournament play and cash games for beginners and experts!
>>click here<<

Here is our video archive of PokerStars Team Online and our very own PSO LIVE trainers TheLangolier, ahar010, HoRRoR77, Felix and ChewMe1 >>click here<< they each specialize in tournament NLHE as well cash games and other variants of poker check it out!

We also have a hand analysis section for all variants of poker! If you find a hand that is in a tough spot or how to extract more value please post your hand history in the hand analysis section.
Here is our roster of hand analysers:

TheLangolier - Team PSO Head Trainer / Hand Analyzer
JWK24 - Moderator / Hand Analyzer
Jdean - Moderator / Hand Analyzer
oriholic - Hand Analyzer
ahar010 - Team PSO Trainer / Hand Analyzer
ChewMe1 - Team PSO Trainer / Hand Analyzer
PSOB!gSl!ck3r - Hand Analyzer
PSO-horror77 - Team PSO Trainer / Hand Analyzer
pso-xflixx - Team PSO Trainer / Hand Analyzer

"You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, But you can't win much either": Mike McDermott:Rounders
Poker is a skill game the better player will always win in the long run , so study hard and learn all you can

Good luck at the tables

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Last edited by CannonLee; Wed Feb 29, 2012 at 03:30 PM..

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 02:13 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
im starting to agree with you, ive been runnning like crap for over two months now. while i sit there and get 5 10, k3 and j 2 over and over again every one else is making big hands. in the few times i do get worthwhile hole cards, my aa beaten 4 times in a row, kk just beaten by j9, 5 minutes ago i busted out near the bubble with 10 10 against 44 losing to a full house. everyone talks about variance which i can accpet, but it never seems to go my way. a pro once said all you can do is get your chips in with the best and overall you will win, it doesnt seem that way at all. am i about to come out the other side of a card dead down swing? or is this how its going to be?

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 02:51 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycheen View Post
Hello Jimmycheen.

All I can say is that poker is a long term game. Being a long term game means you have to be ready to accept the fact that you WILL lose on occasion...

The thing that constantly surprises me about newer players who be-moan things that "always" happen is that there tends to be a big lack of understanding about how money is made in poker...

The fact is, if you play mainly MTTs, you can easily expect to NOT make money about 80% to 90% of the time you play.

If you play SNGs, you can probably expect to lose money about 50% to 60% of the times you play.

If you play NL Cash games, you can probably expect to lose money about 30% to 40% of the times you play.

That's a lotta losing...

The key points in being profitable in poker are really pretty simple:

1) Hone your skills.

Poker is all about your expectation from your decisions, and the better you get at finding positive expected value from your situations, the more things will tend to work out for you in the long run. Please note: You will still LOSE about as frequently as I state above, but when you do not lose you will tend to win MORE...and that off-sets your losses.

2) Examine your skills.

Part of finding good eV situations is knowing how to rationally examine yourself, and your current skill level. Don't fall into the 'trap" that a lot of players do, in believing the reason they are losing is only because of "donkeys" and "suck outs". Those are going to happen at EVERY level you play. Learn to view every decision in light of the REM process, and donkies become pretty easy to beat; until you can beat them, do you REALLY want to risk playing against better opponents?

3) Stay in Action.

Playing a "rush" and running up a big score is sexy and fun, but trying for that in the short term is going to lead you to going bust-o a lot more frequently than grinding things out. Playing higher and higher MTT levels when you score a cash in one event is very ruinous to your ability to stay in action.

I'll be honest, your post here strikes me as a bit of a "whine". I mean your statements regarding the fact that the same things keep happening, and the site is trying to keep you playing at a certain level, are really only excuses in my opinion. Winning at poker in the long term is HARD; plenty hard enough that it does not take external factors to stop you from winning. To me, allowing yourself to fall into the mind set that let's you think that is the reason you are losing is all it really takes to see your decisions degrade to the point that they are not profitable...

Personally, I think your plan is sound though.

If you are at risk of running up large debts, then you should step back from money poker play. The same sorts of skills that work in the free roll games available on Poker Stars will tend to work in real money games.

PSO allows you to hone your skills by attending live training and using the hand analysis forums and practicing in the leagues for free. You can get a lot of info to help you learn to examine your own faults better so you do not have to resort to thinking there is some vast conspiracy against you. It is FINE to stay in action by playing free rolls, to re-build the money you have to play on while developing your skills...that is a lot of what PSO is all about.

I wish you well in your re-building quest, and really hope you do not give up poker entirely...

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
thanks - Thu Mar 01, 2012, 05:18 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
o'k that's good feed back and sounds good i am fine with loosing my ego is not that big that i think i deserve to win all the time my point is on a daily basis i have enough skill to go deep into tourney's only to have to play surviver it's like i said at the point where the profit may get good i am forced into waiting and waiting for cards but they never arrive i am b lasting 100 dollers a week on tourney's alot of money for being unemployed whats annoying now is i can't play thesed long gaps in the months mean i can't earn stars ultimately it does feel like i'm being robbed i'm not accusing any1 of cheating simply expressing how i feel i do believe i have the skill but can't belive my bad luck when it counts there are plenty of times where i would have won if i called my whole tourney on 89 or something like that these skilled players that are waiting for good cards are gettin them i get this sense that game game say's right u have had enough good cards varience say's bye bye it's a bit sinnicle but hey it's hard to be rashional when the same things keep happening the same way, but thanks for the response i'm just a bit disheartend by the results

Old
last reply - Thu Mar 01, 2012, 05:49 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
i just wanna say i don't think stars are stopping me or are influencing my results, i just cannot believe my luck ahead or behind i loose we all make choices that depending on weather we win or loose can be deemed skill or poor choice ya i beat myself up at time for calling a massive raise with my pocket 88 and loosing but equally i get mad when in small blind i get jj and push only to meet aa there are other factors than just skill like luck as some players in the late stages just hoover up the chips with a mix of good cards and bad one's almost seems like they are being gifted , yes i'm winging my hopes are dashed every tourney i do well in and down 100 dollers a week and only get a few day's out of it i'm cashing alot and have nothing to show for it so ya i need a winge

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 06:56 AM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey jimmy , a good winge helps mate. On a serious note I for one probably more than any one knows exactly where you are at.
Myself not so long ago was on here thinking all sorts. I told myself it could not be my skills, I was correct. It was my mindset, and just a few things I did not know.
You sound so close to cracking it mate, I do not mean cracking any conspirocies but cracking the game of poker.
Below I will put a list of my problems I had and needed to resolve before I have improved ten fold.
Ask your self these questions and you may find your problem and the answer you need.

1.Poor BR management
2.Tilt
3.Playing far to much
4.Thinking conspiracies, trying to beat the computer instead of playing poker
5.Constantly chasing them big bucks
6.NO goal or routine of play
7.Not nderstanding about LAG play,LAG players
8.Not understanding software users
9.Not fully understanding +ev
10.Affraid to call
11.Poor concentration

Theres probably a lot more mate to be honest but thats how I was. Look at it this way, you are cashing in, you just need to improve your chip status before this point. Just that one extra step
taking the odd gamble especailly against short stacks.
I suggest though, find your self a cheap buyin sng, see if you can get get any consistency going in them, you will know then whether your game needs to improve or not. Mtts have severe variance, you can earn more playing sngs if you are an able player.

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 07:20 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
i am aware that there is alot of variance in mtts but there are players consistintly earning 9 10 thousand tourney points a month variance does well for them i often sit and rail these players and ya there is alot of pre flop winning which doesn't happen much where i play, i aggree there are alot of things i can do to improove i in now think i am the best but i'm not afraid to calls or put shortstack under pressure i don't think any 1 strategy wins over all as u need to adapt to what u sense the varience is call it poker instinct like when u play really well then the bad run starts with pocket AA or KK and every1 starts hittin 1 card strait and 1 card flushes then ur fighting to stay in ahh enough rantin from me ya i'm gunna put on my las 40 dollers today as i'm mad to earn silver status i earned 250 fpp in 7day's of playing last month so if i could get success i would achive that goal no bother i will haqve to stick to micro if i wanna keep playing tho and as for playing to much i have nothing else to do that's probly why i'm so annoyed at busting out it's not the loosing i can take that it's the not being able to play for lack of cash

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 08:28 AM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
feel for you with bad runs etc. but the one main thing which seems to present itself in your post is lack of Bankroll Management, there is plenty of information here and out there on the subject. gl to you whatever you decide to do.

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 06:48 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
i don't think it is if i pay into a tourney i have rights to a fair shot it should not depend on my account balance if it does than it is rigged i'm not saying it is but i have confidence in my ability like today in to tourney's got bust out with pocket aces the $1650 15k gar my table image was great i was the biggest stack at the table the guy nearest in chips calls my 950 raise with a 8k stack board comes Q high i bet 1800 he calls i go all in on the turn he calls he has 99 hits a gut shot str8 i'm left with 150 chips tourney over next tourney i have a massive stack i raise with aces get called 10 high flop i raise get reraised i push he has j10 off turn and river 10 j giving him a house i mean i play good poker but some things are unavoidable and these unavoidble hands are the only consistant thing when u play well and get ripped apart with bad luck it is frustrating and u do wanna winge i don't see a breakthrough comming all i can see is what i have seen if u get me luck favours others but not me regardless of skill i dominate in alot of tourney's and get alot of bigstacks but that comes to an end call it variance call it bad luck call it what ever but my term of making stars money is comming to an end as it's a 1way thing here.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com