Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Do well in single table but rubbish in multi table

Old
Do well in single table but rubbish in multi table - Thu Mar 01, 2012, 03:57 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
BronzeStar
Hi all,

Wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of some good guides or help

I normally play real money sit and go single tables and I do quite well, normally finish in the money.

When ever I play multi table games I get nowhere, I think it's because I play the same way as I do in single tables and I was wondering what sort of tactics and play I should do

Any help or advice would be great

Thanks

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 04:09 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Hiya seesor. There are a few places you can go for advice on MTT play.

We have a few trainers who provide instruction on MTT's. Definitely give Live Training a look. Here's a link to a Live Training session that starts in 11 hours or so, and deals with 90-man play.
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/edu...sion/?id=24059

Here's a link to some basic guides that might help you:
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...utorial-Videos

Also, I'd recommend posting some hands in the Hand Analysis forum. Getting advice on the hands you play can be invaluable, and we have a number of people here who'd be happy to offer their views.
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...-Hand-Analysis

Feel free to post any questions you may have. We have a pretty friendly community, so it never hurts to ask stuff. Welcome to PSO!

Last edited by JWK24; Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 05:12 PM..

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 04:10 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi mate, remember with multi table the variance is much higher due to the volume of players and the time it takes.
Because you are use to a certain structure your mind is trained to deal with that accordingly like a set peice to you and the concentration levels require less time.
More patience and concentration is required for MTT.
I do not know your style of play you use,but normally a TAG or NIt aproach works well for MTT.
Are you maybe a bit to aggressive in MTTs?.
Do you play to loose in MTTs?
Do you go for the kill to quickly?

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 05:06 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Hi seesor welcome aboard.

When I looked at your stats on OPR it appears that you're just getting back into it after some time away maybe? At least here?

Anyway the one thing that sticks out the most in the results that show is that you are going out in the MTT's way too early,way too often. With the amount of .10 360's you played that's understandable---those games are sick with variance and with the turbo structure of them you do have to have a little gamble going early so over smaller samples (which is what shows here) the swings can be nuts. Standard scheduled MTT's you really don't have so many showing as to comment much on.

The ones I did notice was that in the small sample of 45 man Sit-n-goes you played you did show a pattern of at least seeing the bubble more often,possibly due to them being the smallest field event you were playing for multi table shots.

Here's the first things I would try---

1. Tighten up early. A lot. If you're playing micro stakes there is no reason to chase much,if at all,with marginal holdings OOP when the blinds are not worth fighting for yet. The bad players will pay you off so many times,so handsomely when you do have a big hand that there isn't really much reason to expose yourself to leaking chips that can be put to better use later. Yes if you do have a hand that can flop big like suited connectors and small to mid pairs for set mines,and it's in position and not costing you a prohibitive amount of chips to play,then yeah,take some chances. But be selective.

2. Try a progression from the STT's to the larger field MTT's. Going from a 6 or 9 man tournament to a scheduled MTT with 1000 or more runners is a huge shift in dynamics. A good idea may be to try a middle ground---say the 45 and 90 man SNG's. This will give you some feel of playing in a setting where you're seeing a lot of hands and situations with bubble considerations still a good ways off,but NOT so far away that you'll be seeing bubbles far and few between. Which leads me to point 3...

3. If you do go for trying the 45 and 90 mans then make your first goal to get to as many final 2 table spots as you can. In the 45 mans that's getting you close to the bubble and in the 90 mans you're pretty much at the bubble with 18 left since 12 cash. If you have been mainly focusing on STT's until now and doing well with them you should have more bubble experience than most of your opponents if they concentrate on these so you can use that to your advantage. But ONLY if you are still in the game---remember it's better to be short stacked in an SNG and still playing than on the rail. In these 45 and 90 mans even if you are sitting at number 15 for example of 18 left keep in mind that only the blinds can force you out,so you can look for that spot and try to double. It can turn around very quickly in these at the bubble and in the ones you do have a good amount of chips in you should be able to exploit the weaker players effectively given your STT experience.

So remember---tight is right early,begin to open up some in the middle stages and by the bubble you should have found the weaker exploitable players and be looking for spots to steal chips from them and be looking to stack people when you feel you have the goods. Simplest way to remember it is as the blinds grow you're willingness to mix it up should as well and by the time the antes come out you have to be willing to gamble here and there. It won't work out in larger field tourneys like these nearly as much as in STT's but the rewards for when it does are greater so try to maximize them at every opportunity.

And definitely watch the videos that Panicky linked to in his thread.

Good luck and better decisions.

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 08:05 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2012
BronzeStar
Thanks for all the advice guys, I must admit I have been playing more on 888 at the mo as they gave me free money will give it a go at a smaller mtt and play a lot tighter and see how that goes

Thanks again

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 05:07 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by seesor View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys, I must admit I have been playing more on 888 at the mo as they gave me free money will give it a go at a smaller mtt and play a lot tighter and see how that goes

Thanks again

Keep in mind that there are plenty of free money opportunities here at Stars as well,what with the Astronomer freeroll/Weekly Round 2 path,the Open Skill League right here in the School and if you were looking to deposit for as even as little as $10 there is the 1K depositer freerolls promotion as well.

It definitely takes work and "stick-to-itiveness" to grind up a small bankroll from $0 but it IS doable,quite a few peeps here have (myself included) and you'll learn plenty of good lessons along the way.

One key one being that if you are determined and set of mind to NOT reload off an original deposit or even deposit at all you will be forced to learn proper bankroll management to avoid risking that small BR in a reckless manner. There are few lessons,if ANY,that you can learn in poker that will serve you better.

Good luck,better decisions.

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 05:19 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
It definitely takes work and "stick-to-itiveness" to grind up a small bankroll from $0 but it IS doable,quite a few peeps here have (myself included) and you'll learn plenty of good lessons along the way.

One key one being that if you are determined and set of mind to NOT reload off an original deposit or even deposit at all you will be forced to learn proper bankroll management to avoid risking that small BR in a reckless manner. There are few lessons,if ANY,that you can learn in poker that will serve you better.

Good luck,better decisions.
Hi seesor!

I agree with everything that Moxie says here. I'm one of the others that grinded up a bankroll from $0... it can be done... but you do need to have patience and good BRM in order to do it.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com