Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Way too Aggro?

Old
Way too Aggro? - Thu Mar 01, 2012, 09:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
5c/10c Blinds cash game...

Vilian is a TAG with stats of 13/11 and plays normalish poker, not bad not super good. I have been at the table for around 70hands and I was the one who won the biggest pot with 9$ in the pot when I flopped 444 against a noob who called me 3streets with AJ and the rest of the pots did never go above 3$.

Problem: Something I behave like a maniac and maybe bet too much loosing my opponent behind me and missing value...

Question is did I over bet my hand here? I have the 4th nuts here but there are redraws and opponent raised and on the flop bets big. I put him on AK or AQ and nearly impossible AAA. 333 is v difficult to raise after limpers and everyone would fold. I would never make him on A5 which is one of the worse hands I would ask against. Plus he has tones of draws on the flop. Issue is did I do well to stack here on my reading (which was wrong as it was worse)? How would you behave if he had AK or AQ? and how would you change your behaviour on his actual hand A5 hearts! Would you raise him for 3x what he betted? The issue of the 3rd Heart on the turn might not stack him my original thinking.

Reason why I stacked here are these.

1) Though he had AK or AQ.
2) Saw him always betting less hard usually not more than 1/2 the pot.
3) 3rd heart on thr turn might make him a bit scared if he had AK or AQ.

Thanks for the help as even when it goes well I would like to know other people's opinion.

Etienne

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 12:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etipac View Post
Question is did I over bet my hand here? I have the 4th nuts here but there are redraws and opponent raised and on the flop bets big. I put him on AK or AQ and nearly impossible AAA. 333 is v difficult to raise after limpers and everyone would fold. I would never make him on A5 which is one of the worse hands I would ask against. Plus he has tones of draws on the flop. Issue is did I do well to stack here on my reading (which was wrong as it was worse)?
Hi Etienne,

You're off on the action... Villain didn't raise limpers, The opponent to your left raised and the villain cold called that raise.

His flop bet sizing is pretty strong, it does indicate an ace to me but not necessarily AK or AQ since he will likely cold call wider than this (obviously we know it's the case after the fact since he actually showed up with A5s). AAA is unlikely I agree since he didn't 3-bet, but a set of 3's is certainly possible. So are all the big aces, and potential flush draws. Over all our equity is great vs. his range, and I'm willing to play for stacks, so I like check-raising to build the pot. Is this overbet shove good? It depends a lot on the villain. If the guy will stack off a naked AQ type hand then I think it's fantastic because he's basically stacking off his entire range which we're smashing. I assume he will always stack off 33, aces up, and AhXh to this action. We are a 2-1 favorite over that range, and if he stacks off some big naked aces as well our equity jumps up from there. If he folds out naked aces to this action that costs us some value for sure, but how many offsuit aces are in his range is unclear, and how he would respond with them to a more normal raise size is also unclear.

All things considered, I think the action is fine. With a lot more info on the villain we could make a more informed decision.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com