Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

My 1st Blog: Downswinging

Old
My 1st Blog: Downswinging - Thu Mar 01, 2012, 10:20 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
Hi All

Have been told that starting a blog could be good for the soul (lol) and poker improvement

Will post on various topics from personal experience to other stuff I found which people may or may not find intersting.

First one here is about downswinging of which I am currently experincing and trying to pull out:

To summarize pulling out of a downswing can be one of the toughest mental aspects of playing poker. Everyone remembers their worst downswing, how much they lost and how long it took for them to come back. Too many players incorrectly assume that it was just bad luck that accounted for the entire downswing and wait too long before making any adjustments.

When you play poker for thousands of hands every day, sometimes its hard to look outside of your game to realize where your leaks are. In fact, the most difficult part of coming out of a downswing is figuring out where your leaks are. If you don't know where your leaks are then you certainly can't work on fixing them.

The quickest way to spot your leaks is to have someone else find them this can be accomplished different ways by coaching for example after they have been shown to you, you can get to work on fixing them.

An alternative solution is to get to work pouring through your last few thousand hands and post the hands on a forum (PSO for example hand analysis section) for critique. Also, getting ghosted by a friend whom you respect as a player will provide much needed feedback for a struggling player.

One thing you shouldn't do if you are in a downswing is to put your head in the sand and attempt to grind a ton of hands to get yourself out of it. This strategy only works when your downswing is only caused by a case of bad luck at the poker table and not when you're the reason why you're losing. Most of the time, putting in significant volume while in a major downswing will do more damage than good, as you begin to cement your leaks and start to tilt from frustration.

How much of a downswing is too large to continue? It will depend on your bankroll and your volume, but for the most part I'm talking about downswings of 10 buy-ins or more spread out between 3 losing days. All players will have 1 losing day from time to time and many will have 2 consecutive losing days. But when the 3rd consecutive losing day hits and you're starting to approach being down 10 buy-ins, then I would start to look over hand histories and try to find any leaks.

Remember that even the best poker players in the world have gone through severe downswings and they have been able to come back even stronger than before. Finally, you should realize that going through downswings is a part of the game and provides us with the necessary motivation to fix our leaks.

Gl All

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 03:41 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveAllIn View Post
Too many players incorrectly assume that it was just bad luck that accounted for the entire downswing and wait too long before making any adjustments.

One thing you shouldn't do if you are in a downswing is to put your head in the sand and attempt to grind a ton of hands to get yourself out of it. This strategy only works when your downswing is only caused by a case of bad luck at the poker table and not when you're the reason why you're losing.
Interesting post.

I found the above quote interesting, because I've always thought that adjusting my game too quickly as a response to losing is a bad thing, not the other way around. For sure, people will continue to lose so long as they refuse to recognize that their play is one of the reasons for their losses. Ultimately though, I don't think the reason is ever absolutely one or the other. The best player in the world doesn't play a perfect game, so there's never any reason to stop studying imo, downswing or not.

Thanks for the read.

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 09:24 PM
(#3)
Just take a breather if you think you keep on losing.Maybe your just tilting and can't think straight or gambling too much with your draws.
downswing is over, Dive
Good Luck Sir

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 10:28 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Cool blog!!

I guess in the big picture, it kind of goes to the idea that there are things we can do (or not do) during a downswing - which is helpful in that in can sometimes help one feel more in control and stuff?

That's sort of what I got out of that book on tilt by Jared Tendler, The Mental Game of Poker - that the things we might choose to do or not do during a downswing ... in the big picture, on a more general level, they're really about us trying to be the best we can be? Like no matter the circumstances (in poker, or even in life!), stuff's gonna happen, so why not perhaps be proactive, and do our best to be resilient, and optimistic, and efficient, and all that good stuff?

Those concepts really appeal to me

As for that ongoing debate of whether to take a break or forge ahead, maybe it depends on the person and the circumstances?

Like, since I only play one game at a time, and they're regular speed, my downswing, which might only be about half a day long for a multi-tabler, has dragged out for over two months!

And on the one hand, it's possibly the best thing that's ever happened to my game, in that, it's felt like I've been running a race with two cement blocks tied to my feet, which has really pushed me to have to try and sharpen my game in ways that you'd never have the chance to do if the EV were neutral?

And on the other hand, I did wind up experiencing burnout.

Which Tendler says is sometimes a sign that there's underlying things - like the fact that my favorite game has always been those STT 6-max turbos. So maybe if I were at least having fun, I'd have that going for me in a downswing unstead of the entire experience being a complete drag?

Just some random thoughts ... I feel that it did help a lot to post a couple of hands and get feedback

Sam

Last edited by TrustySam; Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 10:31 PM..

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 12:20 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
Nice Post

That is why it is very important for a poker player to have a couple of poker buddies
they are like mirror so you can see the black spot in your game so that you can remove them as soon as possible.

marvinsytan

m.bisland

GO TEAM ONE TIME BIG TIME

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com