Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

How reliable are the play money tables?

Old
How reliable are the play money tables? - Thu Mar 01, 2012, 09:22 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi, I think that the title of the topic speaks for itself.

I wanted to practice hard the 9-man and 45-man tables before I actually moved to the real money ones.
But then I asked my self, how reliable are the play money tables for my "training" ? and what would be the biggest differences between them?

If some of you guys have some tips for me I'd appreciate.

Thanks

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 10:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi fp_boss77!

The real money tables are tougher than the play money ones. In comparing the 45 man tournies (the ones I'm playing... since can't play the cash tables because I'm in the US), compared to say the quarter 45's, there are a few differences.
There are a few more players that will shove bad cards preflop in the play money ones, also, the bubble play is harder in the cash ones. Because the play money ones don't involve money, there are more players that will sitout or play worse hands.... since there is no money involved. The cash tournies will have players that are more worried about surviving and getting even a min cash... instead of just tossing their chips around in a play money one.

I can't talk much for the STT's, as I'm used to the larger sit&go's and MTT's.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 10:44 PM
(#3)
Deleted user
I know a lot of people swear that playing play money will actually wreck your game.
But I dont know how true that rings since Black Friday.

Old
Thu Mar 01, 2012, 10:58 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Hi fp_boss77.

Basically what JW said is right on point as to two of the differences.

Early on in the 45 play money ones you'll see probably 2-3 times as many players willing to ship their stacks with any 2 cards as you would in the 25c real money 45 mans. Once you see around 1/3 to 1/2 of the field eliminated they calm down and the bad players who luckboxed a stack will be readily apparent.

There will be players who get a stack and then sit out to try and "cash" in the play money ones (I'll NEVER understand that actually...) and you'll see that every now and then in the real money 25c 45's as well (not nearly as much though...again,WHY I don't know as it makes zero sense to me).

The single biggest difference you'll see is that you are going to take many more bad beats in the play money ones as raises are rarely respected by the whole table,even if you've been showing as far the tightest and most solid player. It's play money after all---many don't care and some are even in it just to donk players for a goof.

One thing JW mentioned about bubble play differences between play money and real money in the 45 mans I just want to say...it cuts BOTH ways. Yes there are more players who are "bubble watching" in the real money ones to try and ladder climb to ANY cash. But that can make it easier at times to...as these are players you can steal from,a ploy that is nearly useless in play money ones as there are basically NO free chips in those.

That being said there are enough decent to not terrible players in these to make them a fair training ground for the 25c 45 mans at least.

Before American players were booted (not for too much longer we hope...) on BF I had played just under 300 of the real money 25c 45 man's and was 29% ITM with a +42% ROI. I currently have a play money challenge running on 45 mans in the Challenges and Battleground area in the Poker Community section of the forum. Have done plenty of 320's and am now doing my first set of 100 at the 2110 level. It's done to somewhat replicate the structure of the Cowboys' Challenge for real money games,so as to keep US peeps (or new players who are non-US...) sharp.

In my estimation the 320's play roughly 70% of the competency level of the 25c 45 mans and the 2110's probably play 80-85% by comparison. Some games even better and some much worse. But at the least you will get a feel for how the games play,why you should play very tight early and be willing to open up your range as the blinds climb and the antes come into the mix and a lot of other things that will serve you well in the real money 25c 45 mans.

Feel free to jump on in the challenge and get your feet wet there. If you want to post hands and results on the thread I already started or start your own thread myself and JW peek in there pretty frequently.

Good luck,better decisions.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Thu Mar 01, 2012 at 11:04 PM..

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 11:41 AM
(#5)
I wanted to thank you guys for the posts, they really helped. I hope to get to the Real Money tables soon. And I'll probably take the Cowboys' Challenge, sounds really interesting.

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 01:59 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi fp_boss!

The ones I'm playing are the 45 man 320 play chip buy-in's and the 2110 play chip buy-in's. I'm doing a run of 100 of each for Moxie's challenge and never am I hidden from the player search function, if you'd ever want to watch any of them (try to play 3 or 6 of them a day).

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 04:45 PM
(#7)
Hey JWK24 ! Yeah I'll try to find you to take a look. =)

Thanks for the help.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com