Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Muck or shove?

Old
Muck or shove? - Thu Mar 01, 2012, 11:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

Player who opened pot was a 20/20 through 40 hands, guy who 3 bet I have no reads on was only his second hand at the table, should i muck AK here or is it a cooler.

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 01:36 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
i dont think anything is wrong with how you played man just a cooler i guess... honestly i never fold there thats a good play imo. dude but lets see what the pros say

i really like the reraisers bet tho

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 01:45 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Running into AA is definitely bad luck, since there's no way you can put him on that. I agree with pokerstar that the 3bettor sized his bet nicely, because it allows hands that might fold to an all-in the opportunity to stay in the hand by 4bet-shoving, which is obviously good for AA.

Knowing the format might help here. If you're near the bubble, I'd fold this a lot. I tend to fold this anyway without reads on the 3bettor, but it could be a clear rejam if you know that he's crazy.

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 09:11 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
Was heading toward the bubble but still 50 players left to bust (was the 2.20 rebuy 3k 500 cap [blinds increase every 8 minutes not 10] tourney so could be a while for 50 more to bust), im not a lover of always shipping AK over an opener and a 3bettor but at this late stage of the tournament i opted to go for it. Thanks for your responses guys.

Last edited by darkmajik365; Fri Mar 02, 2012 at 09:15 AM..

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 01:23 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi darkmajik!

With no information on the 3-bettor and with calling costing almost 1/3 of your stack, I think this becomes a shove/fold spot. The 3-bettor sized their bet very well, to put you in a spot where you're almost, but not totally committed to the pot (same for the 2 players behind you).

With needing chips in order to make a deep run, I like the shove here. There's already enough chips in the pot (almost 50% of your stack) that if a shove could get them to fold even a small percentage, it'll be a +EV play. If they don't fold, there are only 2 hands that AK is not at least in a race against (or if they call with AQ, then AK dominates them).

Unfortunately, the 3-bettor has one of those two hands (AA, KK).

I like the decision that was made and would make the same play. The only situation where I'd find a fold here would be on a satty bubble or in a league game.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 01:30 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi dark,

I like shipping it here, if the villain's 3b/get it in range is something like 99+, AJs+, AQo+ you're 50% equity (and I don't mind taking a flip with only 22 bb's) plus he starts the hand with 28bb so may actually have some 3b bluff range, so fold equity is not zero either.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com