Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Shoving (overbet) semi-bluff

Old
Shoving (overbet) semi-bluff - Fri Mar 02, 2012, 03:04 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
This is a 6 max super turbo, with two payouts (65%; 35%). These games are usually fast and furious, and last around 30 minutes at most.

Only 9 hands of info on villain, but he’s played 8 of them. Two of the hands he raised in late position, once 4X over 1 limper, another 5X (AA). With the AA, he c-bet 5X (< ½ pot) IP HU, and called a 16X AI check/raise (flop was K65 two spades); he took down the pot. Two of the hands he stabbed at the pot (1/2 pot bet), once IP and once OOP. Two of the hands he folded to aggression on the flop. One hand he folded to aggression PF.

I opened the hand with a suited connector (best to play aggressive in these games); my PFR was called by two players. The flop was ideal for c-betting, plus it hit my hand hard. I c-bet to take down the pot, but if I get called, the pot would be set-up nice for a possible semi-bluff. When the turn gives me additional outs, I shoved, overbetting the pot. I felt this should get rid of weak one pair hands, as well as draws (fold equity). If I get called, I should have a lot of outs (hand equity).

Click the right button on the replayer to update 'turn' bet status:

Do you feel this is the right line to take in this type of game?

Should this hand have been played any different?

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 03:55 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Spadez!

I like it. Checking back is also an option as half the deck is good to jam on the river if checked to. If you hit a 3 or an 8 your hand is so disguised you get paid by almost anything he called flop with except a busted draw of his own. But with the stacks this shallow and blinds rising so fast, I like just shoving better.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com