Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

how does online poker work?

Old
Smile
how does online poker work? - Fri Mar 02, 2012, 03:34 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
o'k i have a few questions, 1 why can u not go on a great run of winning just as you do loosing like today i know my luck is awfull it doesnt matter who or what i get called with i loose trip aces loose trip 9 loose all my pockets loose every seat every tourney the same i'm down 120 dollers since yesterday i have 16 dollers to my name now i'm not this bad a player so i have some questions, i believe poker to be a truely random game so equipped with that knowledge i enter tourney's and put my cash on it doesn't feel random right now tho people keep saying i need a strategy i have instinct a brain but i am realizing that this is gambling and not a game of skill at least online, people save up all year round to go play the world series do u think the cards really care how much money they have behind them or how well they manage thair bankroll why are the cards waiting for me to be a mathamatician? omg the odds are being defied tonight flop 1010 8 i have pocket 77 i push all in get called by A3 he had nothing and rivered ace no way i'm staying here that's it 4 me last post it feels like my account is set to loose big time not saying it is but bad beats are the highest i have ever seen mabye it's all the complaing i have done who knows

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 04:01 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
*** moved to more appropriate forum JWK24***

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 04:11 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Jimmy!

The first thing that I'd look at is bankroll management. When playing tourneys, the recommended bankroll for a given level of games is 100X the buy-in. For a $16 bankroll, to withstand the variance in the games, the avg buy-in that is recommended is only 16 cents/tourney.

In the 77 hand, from pokerstove, it's only a 74-26% favorite to A3. This means that slightly over 1 in 4 times, 77 will lose. There are also many other things that factor in... position, stack sizes, reads on the opp, etc.
Shoving this type of flop can very easily NOT be the optimal play, as there are 7 cards in hold'em and I need to be sure that my hand will be the best after all 7 are shown, not just the two preflop or the 5 counting the flop. Shoving too much, too often and having no patience is something that will get players into many bad situations, which raises the variance that a player can see tremendously.

The key to hold'em is to be certain to get the chips in only when it is a +EV play and without much more information about these hands, it can't be determined as to whether the correct plays are to raise, call or fold.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 04:49 PM
(#4)
Deleted user
Think it goes beyond showing him bankroll management,you can see in his post that he has most likely never attended a training session or watched any videos. Just looking at his reasoning shows he needs to start from the ground up.

Do yourself a favor before you pull the plug and check out some training videos.
They will open your eyes to how much there is to really learn about poker.
I used to say I was mostly a feel player and didnt know any of the poker lingo.
When I started to learn I noticed I had picked up a bit of it just from playing,but not to the full extent that you can actually learn.

Watch one video and see if you still think the same thing.
Would be willing to look at a tourney history for you to see if I can spot anything as well.

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 05:31 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
when i said that about pushing with 77 i suspected the guy din't have what was on the board it was a turbo i had mabye 100 chips less than him there was no ace or three on the board my anger was in his call i lost all my big hands today all of them trust me this is the most frustrating time ever for me i put so much on with faith and trust in my ability to read the game exept today was just bad beat after bad beat it was like no matter what cards any1 called with they hit what they needed to take the hand, i can't do the training now as my laptop is really bad and old if i make it do to much work on the net it shuts off, all i'm saying is the bad run won't end there is no way i am sitting for hours in micro tourne't for a couple of dollers sry not my style it's play big or nothing i used to win regular on my old site made way more more money this 1 has way more promising sums of money but i never get ahold of good wins on here i'm just miffed m8 i put on so much to try and see if i could win silver status this month but now thats down the drain cuz i'm broke so just fed up with the game now i don't think there are winning formulas that i can achieve if there were alot of people would be winning all the time ye say it's skill that wins but variance makes u loose most of the time put in plain english when ur luck is in it's in it's gambling being sold as skill in order to make muppets like me think they can win big bucks if i try the formula provided on my old site i had a odds calculator it was the worst thing ever it kept telling me to fold great hands and the percentage of loosing it doesn't tell u that he's bluffing tho it confused and annoyed me as there were alot of hands i would have won had i not had that stupid thing it had all the right maths but no instinct

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 05:35 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
tell me how i can get my tourney history i don't even know how to desyfer the data il show u which ever ones u wanna see just tell me how to go about doing that

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 05:51 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
if u sharkscope both me and my brothers name on the b2b network mine is jimmycheen and my brothers mossy 85 there is a total of 8000 profit from tourney play over the coarse of 1 year we played good poker we seen the pokerstars website came here put 20 euro on my brother played 1 tourney made a couple of dollers i got up the next mornin played a tourney and won it my brother wanted his share taken off i left mine on ever since i won hardly anything now to have so little success after being mostly a winning player my poker ego is fairly dented i don't even look at my stats anymore something i used to be proud to do this is why i'm so annoyed as i know i'm good just a combo of bad runs and bad beats and bad play i never needed all these strategy's ye talk about back when i was a winning player my judgment was good enough if my seat at a table isn't recieving cards cuz i didn't watch a video then something is up with that

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 05:58 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycheen View Post
tell me how i can get my tourney history i don't even know how to desyfer the data il show u which ever ones u wanna see just tell me how to go about doing that
Jimmy,

These can be requested and e-mailed to you by going to the requests tab, then clicking on Hand History. They will then be e-mailed to you.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 06:05 PM
(#9)
Deleted user
You just need to understand that well you may have had a edge back in 2010 that with each year that passed the poker community learned that much more. The micros are way harder than they used to be and adding any learning tools to your arsenal will help build up that edge,so you become a winning player again.

To get tourney History:

1.) Have your pokerstars client open for starters
2.) When you finish a tourney, click "Requests"
3.) Scroll down and click on "Tournament History"
4.) Click "OK"
5.)Check your email and you should have a email from stars
6.) You can then send that to someone or you can post it in a thread.

If your serious,hit me on private message and I will give you a email address you can send it to and I will take a look for you. I understand the part about once being a winner and then losing over and over. One thing that helps is when some one else looks at your game and sees things you might not know your doing from a fresh eye.

Sounds like you are not playing with a tracker either,which is something most players play with these days. Not having one can set your game back as well.

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 06:15 PM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Jimmy,

I don't normally use sharkscope, but I use OPR and the networks it picks up. I pulled you up there for PS and it looks like just under 1/2 the return was from one cash, where you won a $1.10 tourney. Even with this big onetime hit, it shows your ROI as negative and without it, it would be a much larger negative.
From the numbers there, it looks like you were able to get lucky, which don't get me wrong, is a good thing... but the numbers aren't consistant with continually making good decisions in tourneys, which is what a winning long term player will do.
One thing that sticks out to me on them is that over 1/3 of the time, the finishes are in the bottom 30%. When I see a number like that, it normally signifies that a player is not patient enough and is playing too many hands early in a tourney.
With this, I'd really recommend taking a look at the MTT course and also the live training session and videos. These contain some really good information on tourney play.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 06:19 PM
(#11)
Deleted user
For sure check out the training you cant go wrong with that.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/articles/Poker-Videos

Scroll down past the pros as some of their content is iffy for advice and has a feel of being thrown together quickly. Click on TheLangolier and you will have a huge amount of videos you can watch.

Old
Fri Mar 02, 2012, 07:10 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
o'k thanks for the sound advice i will message u and get a email address of u il take your advice and from now on i will request tourney history and take a look at how i can improove, in regards to a tracker i use opr myself but not while playing as my laptop is rubbish it's old windows xp alot of lag so i cant check while playing i usually write names on a notebook and check afterwords i try to put labels on players aswell but thanks john for your patience and for listening

Old
Sat Mar 03, 2012, 08:51 AM
(#13)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey jimmy what they mean by a tracker is software that you can buy or have on a trial basis that attaches itself to your table giving instant stats on the opponents such as vpip;
look up poker tracker 3 on google or where ever and you will then see what alot of players use;
this allows multiplay to be easier and tells you who the fish at the table is; hope this helps I did not know about all these programs that are available and I thought i was playing robots lol;
Another thing mate is buyins for mtts; recommended 100 buyins at least but i am saying the recommended should be much higher;a few month ago i was in that same situation you are in;
started playing sng instead after realising and finally started to produce a few results;sngs and cash table are where to build a bank roll and mtts then play occasionally when the BR allows it;the odds on winning a mtt are much greater than winning a small sng.
Depending what your buy in structure is and if you are an able player you can gain a huge BR from sngs alone and when you do have a beat its not to worry about to much as you have only sat there for a lot shorter time than in a mtt

Old
Sat Mar 03, 2012, 12:29 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
o'k i have got my hand history for the last week of play and in that time i have lost 250 dollers so any help with this would be appreciated if u help me on a weekly basis i will transfer 10 dollers per week to your stars account if i become successfull i will put a certain amount to your account to be decided when it happens would u be o'k with this? if so tell me how i can get the info to u? thanks

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com