Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

How would you play your AQ?

Old
How would you play your AQ? - Sat Mar 03, 2012, 07:16 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
9man SnG, $1.50 buyin, table's been on the tight side of things. AQ is a nice hand to have in the BB then.

When the CO bets, I'm raising him. Guy comes off as a pretty decent player, definitely able to fold medium hands.

Then the button raises. Not too sure now. If I call, the CO can ship it and then what. If I 4-bet, it's pretty much gonna be for my whole stack and do I wanna do that with AQ off?

The the 4-bet SB ships it. Ugh. Now what? Pretty sure the AQ isn't gonna do it, and flatting isn't an option with 2 people to act behind me.

Guess the CO and button weren't as strong as they claimed, both folding to the shove.

Would it have been better here to shove the AQ?

-----------------------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Would you have

Old
Sat Mar 03, 2012, 07:49 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2011
I think what u did was the correct play..against 3 players showing aggression a fold was the best option here..mainly because the small blind would have otherwise folded to a 3bet with a 10bb range hand...looks like the cutoff was trying to steal taking advantage of the tight table..and the button was trying not to let the cutoff take away his button..but this cant be thought in advance no matter what..so i would say Good Fold there in my opinion..

Old
Sat Mar 03, 2012, 05:16 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Ov3rsight.

In my opinion this is a clear all in or fold spot, and I'd lean HEAVILY toward the fold.

The SB started with only 1050 in chips, so him jamming over a 3bet to 450 is almost never a weak hand unless he is a pretty clueless maniac; that jam should elicit a crying call from the BTN at least, and the SB should know this. (the BTN folded for 600 more in an 1800 pot...wtf!)

If you read the SB as the type to jam a marginal hand here simply because he is short, you CAN consider trying to squeeze out the min raiser and the 3bettor. Each of these players has you covered though, so if you are wrong and get called by one of them your SNG "life" is at risk; with a raise and a 3bet still to act behind you, 26BB may be too much to punt on the hope you get them to fold and find a race vs the shortie.

You nicely out lined the reasons you cannot call...

In an SNG, a min cash represents a pretty good part of the prize pool, unlike a min cash in an MTT. As such, you should be much less willing to court a bust out (or a crippling move) to build a big stack short of ITM to "run deep". AQo here strikes me as WAY too much risk to be a good shove hand in hopes you squeeze out the raiser and 3bettor, and then bust the shortie; even if you do squeeze out the CO and BTN, you are still risking 1k of a 2600 stack. the SB has to know he is getting called here most of the time, so AQo really shrinks up in value versus his range.

PLUS...

If you lose to the SB, you become one of the short stacks.

So I really like a fold here.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Sat Mar 03, 2012 at 05:23 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com