Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PSQ - AA holding hero reraise with all in preflop

Old
PSQ - AA holding hero reraise with all in preflop - Sat Mar 03, 2012, 07:51 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
Poker School Qualifier (1,1 buy-in, after the bubble)

Villain
Chip leader. Always call when first in. Always calls raises when in blinds. Sometimes folds shoves when out of position, but will always call shoves in position (he has made a lot of chips doing so). Always calls or raises if he has already called or raised. That was my read at least.

Hero
I figured he knew I usually shove and sometimes try to steal blinds. Hence raise instead of shove. He might fold to an immediate all in.

I shove after re-raise as I figure he will generally call and will never fold pairs or Ax. So he potentially might fold hands most likely to beat me. I can live with him folding those.

Question
This is not a "poor me bad beat" post. I know AAs can lose quite regularly.

I am primarily interested in feedback on my read and thought process. Is there a method to my madness at all?

Secondarily - have I done the post right? This is my first hand in here.

And then of course - how would you have played it?

Cheers, Jergul

Old
Sat Mar 03, 2012, 07:58 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2011
Hi Jergul, I think u have played it pretty well..I liked the min raise..any open raise more than that would look too strong because u had around 12 BB..the bigblind min reraises ..and according to your reads he defends his blind always and never folds ..So u did the right thing and got ur money in with the Goods..
Hope you run good next time with the AA..
Good luck..

Last edited by nee0903; Sat Mar 03, 2012 at 08:32 AM..

Old
Sat Mar 03, 2012, 08:30 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
jergul i think you played that great. The min raise looked like a steel and i would of fell for it and jammed preflop as the villain keep playing like that and a danger player you will become if not all ready

Old
Sat Mar 03, 2012, 04:50 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi jergul!

I don't agree with the others, as I do NOT like the min raise here. When opening a pot, I always make a standard raise and I do this to conceal my hand, as I'll make the same raise with AA, 88, 22, AK, JTs, or even if I want to bluff with 27 off. This way the opp will always be guessing as to what I have. At this level, my std raise is to 2.5BB, so I'd raise to 1250.

Min open raises is a big online tell that a good number of players make. They'll only do this with AA or KK and when they do this, they basically flip their cards face up..... which is not what I want to do as a player, as I always want the opps guessing as to what I'm holding.

When the opp raises, I absolutely like the shove with AA. I know I'm ahead in the hand and getting my chips in good is all that I can do... in any hand. Unfortunately, the opp hit one of their 12%, as the opp has a 12% of winning the hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 03, 2012, 05:29 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2012
Thank you all for the feedback!

hehe, my standard raise under these conditions is to shove (3BBs would be 1/4 of stack making pot more than 50% of stack if called, so am committed to the hand in any event). I have a feeling that would be the right move - it would not change the chances of being called I think - the only thing my min raise was doing was giving a shot at villain reraising with nothing in the hopes I would fold in a raise-reraise-fold cycle.

I think I primarily was motivated to not look like a complete donk by shoving AA preflop. There are secondary justifications I suppose. But those are only justifications for warning the opposition I had something if he was listening (I would simply not try to steal blind with less than a shove under these conditions).

I was lucky he was not listening. Lucky in a long term profit sense.

(am watching the langoleer live session on commitment right now - very interesting stuff almost digestible at my level).

Last edited by jergul; Sat Mar 03, 2012 at 05:31 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com