Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

strategey?

Old
strategey? - Sun Mar 04, 2012, 09:55 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
o'k i have played three open skill games so far and i have been watching a number of videos, for the league this month i have decided to put emphisis on survival and stick to premium hands, it's not working there are way to many all ins with average hands it's killing my mojo like there was a raise at my table then a reraise then all in then me with AK i fold because of the amount of action just b4 the bubble they have 89 QJ 33 i would have made top strait and won there are way to many all in bets and big raises and not enough good cards for me to do well with a survival strategy so what is the best strategey for these tourney's? i would normally call ak but after watching the videos i was out of position and most likley gunna loose i did get put out just b4 bubble with QJ clubs i just called Q 10 2 come on flop so i pushed all in get called by second pair him with K10 he turns a k it was bubble for him aswell with 200 chips more than me i cant seem to win flips anymore and my premium hands are beat i have lost alot of money lately with premium hands being cracked by 1 card straits and stuff like that, when the day's are going well i can't win enough money to handle the bad day's should i continue playing poker and stop playing hands at all play more hands gamble more i dunno it just feels like luck or gambling and not skill it's just how it feels loose play is rewarded alot more as far as i can see especially for them russians they call to the end with nothing and win they are the more successfull no strategey players i have ever seen

Old
Sun Mar 04, 2012, 10:14 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Jimmy I know you probably do not listen to my thoughts as you do not reply when I post on your threads. But please listen to this and think carefully about it, you sound to me like you are stuck in the trap, beleiving premium hands are the nuts and should win, tilting, and just not playing poker.
Think about Brunson won a title on t2, sometimes the gamble is all it takes, but not a pointless gamble, a gamble in the right situation.
Play Jimmy. play poker, raise,,reraise,bluff the whole package do not get disalusioned about those premium hands look for those spots,
example in the cut off with 89 os ,utg raises 4 callers; see that flop or jam on them.
Take a chance now and again thats how titles are won.

As for the skill league well, no strategy for that either donk your way or sit tight thats about it,but do not even think about those beats, once your game as ended regardless of howyou were knocked out, just forget it and move on,

Last edited by holdemace486; Sun Mar 04, 2012 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: typo

Old
Sun Mar 04, 2012, 12:38 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
hi holdmace sry for not replying the last threads i'm all over the place when i'm loosing a bit irashional, i appreciate the responses they have the voice of reason just what i need with this mindset tnx, ya think i need to be more aggresive i think it was roland that said he lost more when he tried strategey's from the pros like some situations u have to gamble it's just alot of them are not paying off recently i feel like i'm owed a good run or something which isn't true i just don't think i should be playing freerolls with all the cash i put on of late i felt robbed friday as not a table or seat could get a winning hand, i have found my biggest weakness and it's taking a dissliking to a player on a table and being willing to call off all my stack with top pair just to try and take them out twice deep in tourney's i have done that and wrecked my own chances so i need to get smart and make some better choices any way thanks for the sound advice il go back to my game just my confidence after friday is low gl to you man thanks

Old
Sun Mar 04, 2012, 12:55 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Jimmy!

Their loose play, shoving with nothing in the open league, will not be rewarded. The players that are playing like that just see the league games as a $10 freeroll, not as a league with the larger prizes for the month-long leaderboard. At the end of the month, this style of player will not be anywhere near the top of the leaderboard and will not get the larger prizes.

The key to playing in the league games is to be patient, only play premium hands before the bubble, and to survive as long as possible each and every tourney to accumulate leaderboard points. Bluffing and playing marginal hands is something that you do NOT want to do, as they will not allow a player to last longer and accumulate more league points. The other thing that a player should do is to never put all their chips into the pot unless they are absolutely sure that they have the best hand (do not start shoving with <10BB like a player would do in a cash tourney). Taking chances will not pay off in the league games for the monthly leaderboard.

If a player is playing a winning style in these, there are 2 ways that a player will exit a tourney. Either by blinding out or taking a bad beat.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 04, 2012, 01:12 PM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2011
well himmy gl ,i have dropped back down to the open and not sure if i am going to try this month ,but the way to get to prem league ,is a long and boring game,you run the clock every single hand let the hand time out ,be carfull when playing any hands ,you have 10,000 players and there is a small amount that want to play well all month ,so you have a lot that shove any two cards ,so even with monsters be carefull
dont risk your stack unless your willing to go out ,once in the points relax and play your normal style

gl and keep posting you will get lots of help and suport here

Old
LoL I know what you mean - Mon Mar 05, 2012, 01:55 PM
(#6)
Since: Mar 2012
The open skill league is pretty interesting I'm just starting out too and was wondering about "skill" but in all honesty I think sitting out maybe the best.......... You can't raise preflop as either nobody will fold or they'll push with random cards.........You can't bet your hands cause again they won't fold even if they have a runner runner draw and somebody always hits their draw.......... Basically you gotta play to loose till the bubble than hope to get lucky and win.

Now if only I could follow that advice

Old
Mon Mar 05, 2012, 03:59 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
ya i aggree with every1 but in all honesty it's the same playing for money in tourney's i really really really hate the russians they have wrecked more tourney's for me with muck they flop a pair of 22 with 3 kicker and go all in me having A10 call turn comes three to give the pot and leave me fighting with no cards i really have had enough yes i admitt i have a lack of patience but that and donkey's means i will never be success full here at stars as u do not get the good luck to avoid the silly hands winning my logical brain is telling me that it's not the seat that u pay into that has the good or bad luck it's the account that's what it feels like as i can play 20 tourney's and have nothing good hit trips loose flushes beat by higher ones pockets beat by 1 card str8 tourney after tourney till u got no bankroll left i can't keep up and don't wanna invest more to get more of the same luck so thanks for the advice here much appreciated il just go back to my first site and play there

Old
Tue Mar 13, 2012, 04:34 AM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2012
I even had to lay down premium pairs pre flop now and then because of half the table go all inn before me, making it a lottery who win.

Old
Tue Mar 20, 2012, 01:26 PM
(#9)
Hello everybody....here is my strategy regarding these pso tournaments,i never play the first 20 big blinds,NEVER i fold QQ,KK, even AA , becouse i had so many bad beats at this pso events that now i consider luck getting away from the pot with premium hands and laying them down then making a play.Here is my advice after months of playing pso : This is not poker its just plain luck at cards there is no good or bad play here its only luck thats why there is no tilt here becouse there is no poker....soooo if you really play this tournament play when you have nothing else to do and try hands you normaly would never play and if you wake up with 100.000 chips in the bubble please share us mear mortals your strategy thank you

Old
Tue Mar 20, 2012, 01:47 PM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
okay, i am kind of an outsider in this discussion due to black friday excluding me from pokerstars, but it seems like the general consensus is that it's all in, all the time, every hand for the first several blind levels. is this really, truly, 100% the case? like i said i never played the new format so i don't know what players like to do, but if there is any folding going on at all, it seems like you could figure out when this occurs and take advantage of it. i've played many many hubble freerolls over the years and even these had a reasonable amount of skill involved, like i was able to pick up a ton of pots without much cards, and when i did have a big hand i could win monster hands all through the first hour and a half that would help sustain me when i wasn't getting much. i think apporaching a tournament is all about perspective. if u come into one thinking that ur never gonna get anywhere, that it's all luck and whatever u do it won't matter in the end cause somebody who hasn't a clue is gonna beat u, then u really are gonna lose. it's hard to imagine that pso is really as loose as im imagining in my head, b/c in any poker tournament, be it play money, real money, or a freeroll, there's going to be players who want to do well and will actually show a lot more variety in their play if u just give them the chance. these are the players u have to actually "work"--these are the ones u can play poker against, and u can just avoid everyone else. failing this, just keep calling with ur monster hands and they will continue to hold up as they do in real money games, which is where 95% or so of ur profit is gonna be coming from in micro stakes cash games.

Old
Tue Mar 20, 2012, 01:48 PM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi RomeWu!

Welcome to the forum. Here's a link that will help to make sure that you're taking advantage of everything that PSO has to offer.

The league games, especially the open league is definitely a different animal, compared to a std mtt. Patience and only going all-in only when a player is sure that they have the best hand after all 5 on the board are shown are the keys.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:34 AM
(#12)
Since: Sep 2010
I agree with much of the advice given. The Open Skill League is not your normal poker tournament. Those who play it for the $10 Freeroll are not interested in the Leaderboard. So, we have two types of players in every tourney. Patience is the only way to move up the leaderboard, which means you are playing hours and hours of Foldem every month for a chance at winning a few dollars. Certainly not a way to earn a living, and quite a boring past-time.

PSO has taught me much about playing poker, from the courses, to the videos, to the advice in these forums. I play the Open Skill League, while watching television, figuring that two time wasting activities are not quite as bad as only one at a time. That has some impact on my game focus, but life is just too short to get all excited about a $10 Freeroll with a month end leaderboard paying out less than a million bucks.

Herk

Old
Thu Mar 22, 2012, 01:36 PM
(#13)
hehe, the pso sort of accentuates everything. But don't doubt the winning strategy JWK gave you.

Getting blinded out is great and yah, be careful with position and premium hands. You want an exit if it becomes a 3 or more way.

Old
Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:34 PM
(#14)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
Jimmy

First you have to say yourself , Do I play to make money or just have fun?

If its to make money then stop reading and good luck.

If its to have fun then here is my two cents worth.

PSO is very skill less. Its BINGO poker at its best. It drives my crazy all the time
But if you take the time to watch you will see most of the idiots who go all-in all the time in the begining don't last long and are gone by about half way to first break. 5000 people gone in about 1/2 hour and you still have about 1300 in chips. Not bad

Next 1/2 hour you have guys and gals that think they know how to play NOT!!!!

If you wait your turn you can take them out and start gaining chips.

Now your at first break (about 2500 players left)

Now start playing monster hands only. If they fold you get 500 chips in blinds and antis and you have done nothing. But be carefull there is still a few idiots out there.

Now your at 1442 players left and you now rank in the tourney
How you play after that its all gravy.

Its not about one tourney but a months worth of tourneys and if you play with that in mind you will go further.

Myself I try to do better then the month before and for me that is my goal. I would only be kidding myself if I thought I could play to win the month. First I could not play enough tourneys in the month to do that, I do have a life outside poker. Second I'm just not good enough, but im fine with that. Im not in it to make money, after all its like a video game.

I guess the way I look at it is this (about the whole poker craze)

In Canada you can spend 1000$$$ on your kid for hockey but only .01% might make it to the NHL.
You can spend 100$$$ on online poker but only .01% will make it to the big show.

Thats my 2 cents worth. Don't take it to seriously and the chips will fall your way.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com