Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Hero (AQ - CO) Multiple limpers

Old
Sun Mar 04, 2012, 10:53 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Why not simply use the PSO replayer tool?

As for the hand...

We're 7 handed and UTG+1 limps, followed by UTG+2. I don't like being the 3rd limper here. It's pretty much begging the other players to follow suit and I really don't want to play AQ offsuit ina 6 handed pot. Also, the small blind is rather shortstacked with only 5BB behind. I wouldn't want to give him the idea that shoving might be a good idea, because then what? Call him off if it's folded to me and fold my hand if UTG guys call or reshove?
So I'm either folding or 3-betting. In this case, I'd probably make it about 900. I usually would go for a lot smaller, but I wanna try to get the small blind to fold. Of course with his stack he really can't with the price he's given, but in my experience they can. (It helps to know the buyin here...). By setting him allin, he won't get any crazy ideas about maybe shoving and getting me to fold.
Nice the see the SB doesn't disappoint me, he indeed folds his hand.

The flop comes crap for our hand. No pair, backdoor straight and flushdraws, and somebody might be holding the spade draw. Any of them might be holding a Jack. At this point, I see little in continuing the hand. leads out for 2/3 pot, and UTG+2 flats behind.flats behind. At this point, I thyinking mucking the AQ is the only way to go. One of them is likely to have at least a pair of jacks, and I'm not gonna call this drawing to a 6-outer (that is: assuming a Q will be good, which it might not if he's on the spade draw...)

Not much wrong with the play postflop, but I really don't like your preflop limp there.

Remember - you don't actually have to hit the flop to win the hand. If you raise here, the people to act behind, as well as the limpers might all fold giving you 525 free chips. Either way I doubt you'll be seeing a 4-way flop as you did now. When the flop comes, you have the advantage of being the preflop aggressor, so if they miss and you bet again, they're likely to fold.

Old
Sun Mar 04, 2012, 02:12 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi I'mJigJig!

In this situation, I'm going to make a standard raise in this situation, to 750. I have position on everyone and want to use that to my advantage, also it will give me the lead. This way, even if I miss the flop, the opps will most likely check to me due to my preflop raise, so I can check behind and peel the turn card. If I decided to c-bet it, it will make my hand look much stronger than it really is, as I'll have made a raise preflop, then c-bet the flop. The decision on whether to peel the turn or c-bet the flop would be based on my reads of the opps (and to whether or not they'd fold to a c-bet).

By limping preflop and having UTG+1 making a bet that prices out a flush draw and being called by the player behind them, I'm going to muck AQ here.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 04, 2012, 03:11 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi I'mJigJig!

The level of the tourney wouldn't matter for me. I'll make the same play at any tourney price. I'd make the same play in an online micro tourney or a live, larger buy-in tourney.

You mention setmining. To setmine, a player needs a pocket pair, not AQ. Without a pocket pair, a player cannot ever get a set.

At a table that is passive preflop and aggressive post flop, I want to take the opposite line... aggressive preflop and a bit more passive postflop (especially if I miss the flop). Knowing this, I would basically never limp preflop at this table. I'm raising or folding.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com