Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Did I do anything right with this hand?

Old
Did I do anything right with this hand? - Sun Mar 04, 2012, 10:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
PokerStars Hand #76626125528: Tournament #524254854, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level III (40/80) - 2012/03/04 9:17:10 ET Table '524254854 871' 9-max Seat #6 is the button Seat 1: tudormanu (1460 in chips) Seat 2: mabizela_41 (1860 in chips) Seat 3: GoToPro150 (1050 in chips) Seat 4: WitoldK31 (1700 in chips) Seat 5: milumircea (1180 in chips) Seat 6: elkaiserbcn (1940 in chips) Seat 7: Mohasaba (1180 in chips) Seat 8: Aleks_20_a (1970 in chips) Seat 9: guidof0404 (1160 in chips)
Mohasaba: posts small blind 40
Aleks_20_a: posts big blind 80
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Mohasaba [Qd Qh]
guidof0404: folds
tudormanu: calls 80
mabizela_41: folds
GoToPro150: folds
WitoldK31: calls 80
milumircea: folds
elkaiserbcn: folds
Mohasaba: raises 80 to 160
Aleks_20_a: folds
*** FLOP *** [Ac Ks 9h]
Mohasaba: bets 80
*** TURN *** [Ac Ks 9h] [2h]
Mohasaba: checks
tudormanu: bets 320
WitoldK31: folds
Mohasaba: folds
Uncalled bet (320) returned to tudormanu tudormanu collected 800 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 800 | Rake 0
Board [Ac Ks 9h 2h]
Seat 1: tudormanu collected (800)
Seat 2: mabizela_41 folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 3: GoToPro150 folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 4: WitoldK31 folded on the Turn Seat 5: milumircea folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 6: elkaiserbcn (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 7: Mohasaba (small blind) folded on the Turn Seat 8: Aleks_20_a (big blind) folded before Flop Seat 9: guidof0404 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Old
Sun Mar 04, 2012, 12:57 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
***moved to more appropriate forum since member has a question on how to play the hand JWK24***

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 04, 2012, 01:03 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
You raised pre.

I'd say that you should have made the pot bigger preflop, and for the most part, that's it. I see no point to the flop bet, since it's too small to get anyone to fold, and an ace isn't folding anyway. I would have checked the flop. I think it's good that you folded on the turn.

Old
Sun Mar 04, 2012, 01:07 PM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
You raised pre.

I'd say that you should have made the pot bigger preflop, and for the most part, that's it. I see no point to the flop bet, since it's too small to get anyone to fold, and an ace isn't folding anyway. I would have checked the flop. I think it's good that you folded on the turn.
Thanks, it helps. I should have called higher, my gut was telling me to.

Old
Sun Mar 04, 2012, 02:43 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi mohasaba!

Here is the way that I'd have gone about this hand and why.

Preflop, with QQ, I will definitely raise. The size of my raise will always be a standard raise. I make a standard raise, as this will help to conceal the hand that I have. I'll make the same raise whether I'm holding AA, QQ, 22, AK, 89s, or even a total bluff with 27o. This keeps the opp guessing as to what I'm playing. The standard raise that I use for this level is to 3BB + 1BB for each player limping before me. In this situation, there are 2 limpers, so I will raise to 3BB+2BB, so 5BB or to 400.
The standard raise will also normally lower the number of players that will see the flop, so there will hopefully be less players that could draw to a hand that can beat me, since I already have a made premium hand.

When the flop has both an A and a K, any of the players that call my preflop raise will most likely have me beat. Due to this, I'm going to check and fold to any sizable bet by an opp.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 11, 2012, 12:13 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi mohasaba!

Here is the way that I'd have gone about this hand and why.

Preflop, with QQ, I will definitely raise. The size of my raise will always be a standard raise. I make a standard raise, as this will help to conceal the hand that I have. I'll make the same raise whether I'm holding AA, QQ, 22, AK, 89s, or even a total bluff with 27o. This keeps the opp guessing as to what I'm playing. The standard raise that I use for this level is to 3BB + 1BB for each player limping before me. In this situation, there are 2 limpers, so I will raise to 3BB+2BB, so 5BB or to 400.
The standard raise will also normally lower the number of players that will see the flop, so there will hopefully be less players that could draw to a hand that can beat me, since I already have a made premium hand.

When the flop has both an A and a K, any of the players that call my preflop raise will most likely have me beat. Due to this, I'm going to check and fold to any sizable bet by an opp.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)
If he was going to risk 40% of his stack preflop, would it not be better to just go ahead and push it all in???

Old
Sun Mar 11, 2012, 12:34 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron112355 View Post
If he was going to risk 40% of his stack preflop, would it not be better to just go ahead and push it all in???
Hi Ron!

League games are a different animal than cash games. In these tourneys, I don't want to be all-in until I'm sure that I have the absolute best hand, as the longer that a player can last, the more league points that will be accumulated.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com