Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

did i play this wrong

Old
did i play this wrong - Mon Mar 05, 2012, 02:21 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

ok i was short stacked, had stats on punga he was limping alot, had a pretty good tight read on the table, so thats why the raise to 800. did i play it wrong, i know i probable just shove, but was trying to survive to the bubble

Old
Mon Mar 05, 2012, 01:32 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2012
Is it ever viable to go all-in preflop?

Old
Mon Mar 05, 2012, 01:59 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Absolutely a shove.

Old
Mon Mar 05, 2012, 02:36 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
*** moved to HA forum as member has a ? on playing the hand JWK24***

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 05, 2012, 02:52 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi AmaturePlayr!

The question that I would have for you is, what is your standard raise for this blind level? Is it to 2.5BB, 3BB or what amount?
Making a larger raise than a standard raise is one of the largest online tells that a player can make, so I try to avoid doing this as much as possible.

In determining what I would open for here, there are two things that I consider. The first is my standard raise value (which for me is to 2.5BB at this level, or 500) and the second is my stack size. In this instance, 500 is over 1/3 of my stack, so I am past the committment point (here's a link to the video on Committment Decisions).

Since I'm past the committment point, instead of my normal opening raise to 500, I'm going to open-shove with AA here (and the same will be true with any hand that I would play in this situaiton).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 05, 2012, 03:14 PM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi AmaturePlayr!

The question that I would have for you is, what is your standard raise for this blind level? Is it to 2.5BB, 3BB or what amount?
Making a larger raise than a standard raise is one of the largest online tells that a player can make, so I try to avoid doing this as much as possible.

In determining what I would open for here, there are two things that I consider. The first is my standard raise value (which for me is to 2.5BB at this level, or 500) and the second is my stack size. In this instance, 500 is over 1/3 of my stack, so I am past the committment point (here's a link to the video on Committment Decisions).

Since I'm past the committment point, instead of my normal opening raise to 500, I'm going to open-shove with AA here (and the same will be true with any hand that I would play in this situaiton).

John (JWK24)
ok, but u quoted online tell for my raise there, can u explain that please, as u saw, i knew i would be commited, no matter what, but if u had Q-Q, im sure would of called also, like i said table was pretty tight, so i knew a good hand was also a factor if i let the flop play for not raising, just got unlucy with 2 qs in hole cards a the 1 outer

Old
Mon Mar 05, 2012, 04:13 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi AmaturePlayr!

Since when playing online players can't pick up tells from a players reactions, like a player can live, while playing online, one thing that I always try to watch is a player's bet sizes. A habit that many players fall into (and I did my first year or 2 playing online too) is that they bet smaller when they have a marginal hand and larger when they have a premium hand. This can be an easy way for an observant player to narrow the range of cards that the opp is playing.
For example, if a player makes a larger bet than normal, they probably have a high pair or AK. If they make a smaller bet than normal, they probably have a suited connector or small/mid pair.

To counteract this, the easiest way is to always make a standard bet size for each blind level and make the same raise regardless of what hand I have. I'll make the same raise with AA, 88, 22, AK, QJs or even with a total bluff hand, say 27 off. The std bet sizes that I try to use are based on the blind level. If the blinds are below 100/200, then I'll make my std raise 3BB + 1BB for each limper before me. Once the blinds hit 100/200, then I'll drop my raise to 2.5BB +1BB for each limper. Then when the blinds hit 1k/2k, I'll lower it yet again, to 2.2BB +1BB for each limper.

By making the raises consistant, the opp cannot range my hand and has no idea what two cards I'm playing preflop.

Yes, in this hand, I'm going to call if I had the QQ hand, but one goal for poker players is to NOT be reuslts oriented. The key is to be making the best decisions possible at any given time, based on the information that we already know. The results will then follow accordingly. Just because I win or lose a hand doesn't always mean that I made the correct decision on the hands that I win.. and doesn't mean that I made the wrong decsions in the hands that I lose.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com