Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

How do you get a read on 2 pair?

Old
How do you get a read on 2 pair? - Mon Mar 05, 2012, 08:24 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
I get blindsided by two pairs pretty often on the flop I hit top Pair Ace with kicker J or better and make a pot size raise get called by someone I know loves playing weak Ace's turn comes no help on any draws I bet river no help I bet get called (showdown) Me pair A kicker Q him 2 pair A and 8

Old
Mon Mar 05, 2012, 08:50 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi! IMI777,

Firstly welcome to PSO and the forum. Here is a link to a video "Hand reading and Ranging Opponents" by TheLangolier which I personally find it very helpful and hope that it is beneficial to yourself. I would also recommend making use of "Hand Analysis" section of the forum where you can post your hand for analysis where you found yourself in tough spots.
If you have any other questions please feel free to post it in forums and you will find everyone here in this community is more than happy to help.

Good luck on the felt and see you around the forums.

Cheers

Old
Hey guys - Mon Mar 05, 2012, 02:06 PM
(#3)
I appreciate the responses and am watching the Hand Reading tutorial right now. Hopefully it helps

Old
Mon Mar 05, 2012, 02:40 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi IMI777!

Taking notes on the players that are at your tables can also help. Noting that a player will always play Ax or any 2 suited cards is something that I specifically look for and note. This way, I can be more cautious if there is a flush draw and the opp plays any suited cards, or if there is an A on the board and I know that the opp woulld play any ace, as I'd always be weary of them having two pair. There is also a video on note taking in the video archive.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 06, 2012, 06:13 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
i know,

bet less..

if you bet potsize bets you will fold everything except that what can beat top top.

you should ask yourself this question:

What type of opponent am I playing? (tight/loose, passive/aggeresive, straigth forward/deceptive)
What kind of hands do connect with this board?
Which of those hands can I beat?
Which can't i beat?
What will my opponent do with such hands?
How much can I bet that my opponent will not fold hands that I beat and shows me information that know I am beat?

Example:

I had AKo in middle position.
A tight but aggresive straigth forward player entered the pot before me UTG+2.
His range I think is: 9/9+ AQs AKo AKs. perhaps AQo and AJs /ATs.

The flop comes A 9 3 rainbow. pot contains $2

opponent checks. Narrow his range: he doesn't have an A, since he would bet it. He probably has a hand like KK QQ JJ TT.

I bet $0,75
he calls

Turn is an 8. pot contains $3,50

opponent checks again. Now I am (almost) sure he has TT JJ QQ KK

again I bet around 1/3 of the pot. $1,25
he calls

turn is an 2. pot contains $6,00
he checks. I bet $2,25

he calls and shows QQ.

He would have folded on the turn for an 50% or more bet I think.
He probably thought I had TT or soemthing since i was repping that, or perhaps a 9.

I got max value out of the hand by just asking myself the questions.

hope it helps.

Old
Thxx Sjekkkk - Tue Mar 06, 2012, 11:33 AM
(#6)
Your post helped a lot I watched the Tutorial on hand reading which explained some of your points but I found your example to be much closer to my situation making it easier to understand.
Just one question what happened preflop did you raise ?

Old
Wed Mar 07, 2012, 03:25 AM
(#7)
no i smooth called him PFR, because he was early position and i wanted to trap him if he played AQ AJs

Old
Wed Mar 07, 2012, 04:30 AM
(#8)
I can give you another example:

I have been dealt Ac Ah

the opponent just to my right (middle position) limped in, he is a neutral player both playing style and aggresiveness. I think that he used to be an loose passive player and recently read some books, therefore he is trying to improve. Also he is very straigth forward. Next to that, he and I were pretty deep (100 big blinds each)

obviously I am going to raise, I made it 3,5X.

Everyone else folded, and in the meantime I tried to put my opponent on a hand range, because I felt he´d call anyway.

A -x suited. where x is 9 or smaller.
Suited connector 56+ and one gapper 46+
offsuit connectors and one gappers JT QJ perhaps KQ. QT KJ.
small pairs 66 and lower.

This guy would raise a fair amount. He might have raised with KQo and KJo.

he calls the $0,87

pot contains $1,90. flop is Qc Td 3d.

Ask yourself the question which of these hands would have connected with this board. Answer is almost all of them. except the small pairs that didn´t make trips and suited connectors that didn´t hit a flush draw.

He checks and this is a spot where you want to keep him in the pot with the draws and hands like JT. the only real hand that has me beat is QT and 33.

Since he neutral and straigth forward I suspect that he´d bet those hands and also a Qx. Perhaps He´d slowplay 33.

I´m quite confinced that I am ahead and I don´t want to lose him. Many player tend to call off a bigger sized bet on the flop than on the turn with a draw. Also I want to keep him in with a hand like JT. so I bet 66%to protect my hand, from this guy his natural calling station type I might have gotten 75%.

my bet was $1,32. and he calls.

pot contains $4,40. and a Ts peels off on the turn.

The board is now Qc Td 3d Ts.

I am still ahead of all the draws and I am losing to the JT perhaps T9 T8. and still to 33 and QT.

Again he checks, I suspected that he´d do this with a strong hand and a draw. so a marginal hand like QJ or pocket pair 99 or smaller (except 33) he´d fold definately to any bet.

There is no need to bet big right now, since he will fold his draws and only call with the hands that have me beat. half pot size bet will give draws not good odds. even 33% wouldnt give them correct odds.

I did make a half pot size bet, but the best bet size would be ~40%. It makes your bet not so weak that he´ll try to bluff you.

I bet $2,20. and he calls. the pot now contains $8,80

Also I mentioned that he´d slowplay a monster hand, so this would be my last round of betting/calling. Since this player would probably not bluff the river with a missed draw.

the river peeled off a 9d

all of his hand range would beat me now, the rest he would have folded. The board is:

Qc Td 3d Ts 9d

he bets $3 and I fold (instantly).

I told him my hand he told me he had JT.

Old
Sat Mar 10, 2012, 06:51 AM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2011
I'm always aware of the board and what is the nuts.

You raise pre to get rid of hands like A5o, you are charging a premium for the hand. If they call and the flop comes an A then the chances are you are well ahead. For all the times you raise pre and on the flop you will be paid for the few times they actually hit.

Watch how they react to your bets, use your betting to test your opponent, you may lose chips but it's better to lose them on the flop where the pot is low than the river where all your chips are on the line. At low stakes a check raise is usually (but not always) a sign that they have a monster so beware any aggressive opponents using this on you. I generally bet out TP good kicker but I will throw in the odd check raise because that will be their line of thought.

As a very loose and general rule at micro stakes, players usually check when they are strong and raise when they have a draw or have a weak pair/ kicker.

I still make a load of mistakes but I try and read boards and players. If a calling station starts raising for any reason or a raising station starts checking then you've got to stop and pay attention. Look at the board and texture and how each street has been played. Use betting to glean information. Every hand usually tells a story, go back over the hand and play it from your opponents point of view. I'll bet the clues are in there to the hand that they won on.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com