Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$4.40 8 Max (1000 cap) LATE STAGES

Old
$4.40 8 Max (1000 cap) LATE STAGES - Mon Mar 05, 2012, 06:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
65 odd people left, i am ITM sitting there with a couple K under an average stack..

Delighted to see Rockets in the BB, and then this happens.......

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=E866C594FF

Some one please tell me, some one please, what was this man at calling my 3 bet?

Ok, he called, did i over react on the flop, was i the crazy 1??

My head is done in with this shit to be honest, i sit there for 4 hours, play my best, near flawless, then a MORON calls my 3 bet with Q6off, i mean come on man, for fck sake!!!

Old
Mon Mar 05, 2012, 06:29 PM
(#2)
So 6 views already and no body has anything to say??

Was my shove on the flop bad? REALLY??

This geezer, a Russian or a Romanian probably is off his fckn NUT!!!!!!

END OF STORY!!!

Im pissed off over this shite, im sorry, ive never posted a hand before, never talk about bad beats, but this is 1 NASTY SPOT, a SICKO playing poker, fck off and play BINGO i say!!!!!!

SORRY MODS!! SORRY EVERY1 ELSE for the language, but gimme a break!!! Lol, what a MORON that geezer is......

Old
Mon Mar 05, 2012, 07:57 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Brian!

With holding AA in the BB, with a just over min-raise from MP and a call by the CO, I do like the idea of 3-betting in this situation. Normally in this situation, I try to size my 3-bet between 3X the previous bet and a pot-sized raise, so I'd have raised to about 12k.

With the MP player mucking, there are now many dead chips in the pot, which is something that the CO must look at.
To call the 3-bet, it costs them 8201 chips into a pot that will be 27499 (29.8%).
To see what their possible hand equity is, I looked ahead to see that they hold Q6 off. If I go into pokerstove and put their hand in, along with a range of a top 10% hand for the hero, I get a hand equity of 27.4% for Q6o (they will win this % of the time against a top 10% hand). I used a top 10% hand, as I don't know what reads each other may have had in the hand.. which would help to further define this. The pot equity is 2.4% higher, so the play in the long run is only a -2.4%EV play for the opp (when I first looked at it I thought it would be higher than this, but it wasn't).

When the flop has a Q and 6, that is the definition of a cooler hand for a premium pair. AA will almost always be the best hand here, but there are a very limited number of combinations that AA will be behind... unfortunately, this is one of them. With more chips in the pot than in my stack, I'm shoving AA in this spot basically everytime (exception being the bubble of a satellite tourney, where chip position doesn't mean anything.. all that matters is getting a ticket).

With regard to the opp's play. I would have mucked Q6o in the beginning and never called the open-raise. Their -2.4%EV call of the 3-bet is marginal-at-best, but the size of the pot is about 1/2 their remaining stack.. so I could see many players making that call. To call the shove with a very well hidden 2 pair on the flop is an easy call for them.

Unfortunately, cooler hands will happen more often, the more that a player gets premium hands. All a player can do when one happens, is to try to avoid tilt, use proper bankroll management and to make a good decision in the next hand that is played.
Trust me on this, as I had AA cracked to basically KO me from a very large tourney last year. It's going to happen, regardless of the buy-in amounts.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 05, 2012, 09:01 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
This is a classic example of it all being about WHEN you get donked,not if you get donked. Because we all get donked,good players more than bad (good players getting their chips in good more often...). But when it happens at the later stages of a MTT or multi-table SNG it certainly stings more as these spots don't grow on trees and when you DO get there you want to maximize them.

Only thing I do different here Briany is I probably 5x it pre-flop...the standard 3x raise plus one more bb for each raiser in front of me. But it's still doubtful the drool box would have gone away. Post flop I just don't see a whole lot that can go different where you aren't going Busto here.Even if you check your option to entice a bet out of the opp there's no way you're ever laying your rockets down to that board.

Tough luck man,ugly watching a play that bad be rewarded.

Old
Tue Mar 06, 2012, 10:48 AM
(#5)
Heya John, Moxie,

Thanx for your replys on that horror story of a hand, lol, head melting stuff.. Funny thing is i was feeling good, making good decisions the whole tourney, felt like i was guna go deep, silly play by anothr crazy man ruins the game for me...

Ah well, just guna have to suck it up, move on, NEXT.....

Old
Get it in Good Pre - Sat Mar 10, 2012, 11:49 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
If your plan was to push all in with only an over pair to the board. Get your money in Pre Flop!, Letting your opponent see the flop here is a curious play given the stack size. If your plan is to push and double then get it in PRE FLOP. This also saves you needing to make the post flop decision. Get it in Good and if your out flopped oh well, but actually giving villian a lesser price to call not necessarily the best play. imo

Old
Sun Mar 11, 2012, 12:11 AM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2011
Sick one, you did nothing wrong, just ended up been very unlucky. This is a moment when you really want to punch that $@#($*& in the face, but it is very important to learn to be very cold to situations like this, because it will continue to happen. Just move on and keep on making good decisions every single time.

Old
Sun Mar 11, 2012, 07:26 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffcut68 View Post
If your plan was to push all in with only an over pair to the board. Get your money in Pre Flop!, Letting your opponent see the flop here is a curious play given the stack size. If your plan is to push and double then get it in PRE FLOP. This also saves you needing to make the post flop decision. Get it in Good and if your out flopped oh well, but actually giving villian a lesser price to call not necessarily the best play. imo

I understand what you are saying ruffcut, but just shoving pre, probably or maybe wuda scared the Villain off, and TBH i didn want to scare him away, i wanted to try make some chips in that spot....

Old
Sun Mar 11, 2012, 09:43 PM
(#9)
Since: Dec 2010
Cant do anything about that, played properly.

If it were me, i wouldve just shoved pre to be honest. GL!

Old
Wed Apr 11, 2012, 06:52 AM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2011
I would of played the hand the exact same way but probably of raised it to about 12.5k but that's not really a major issue in the hand, 3-betting pre has to be done in this spot because you want action and the 3-bet can easily look like a squeeze play because more often than not the player who called in the cutoff is weak majority of the time and the open raise in middle position is not neccessarily strong but if it is then you want action with AA. Unfortunately this happens a lot in low tournament buy ins, the players are weak and make bad plays, happened to me more than enough, just keep doing what your doing and next time they will hold up.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com