Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / New Members /

Is it just me or regardless what hand you have bigger stack always wins ?

Old
Is it just me or regardless what hand you have bigger stack always wins ? - Tue Mar 06, 2012, 09:31 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
I have been playing on Pokerstars for a while now and wasn't sure if maybe it was just bad luck but I've noticed that regardless of what hand I have if I shove and get called by a bigger stack they will more than likely always win, for example I shove with AA get called by 73os guess who wins ? Today in the Premier League I shove with AK get called by AQ guess who wins ? I'm aware that these things happen and they are always going to happen it's poker but seriously when u shove with KK, get called and your opponent has KK and you lose its pretty sick ! Like I say I know that these things happen and will continue to happen but I just feel you get your money in with the best hand and if you are called by a larger stack they will take it maybe its just me being paranoid and I'm just on a bad run, anyone else feel this way, or is it just me?

Old
Tue Mar 06, 2012, 09:39 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Hi JacksonJnr.

It's just you. Big stacks don't always win, but due to the fact that they can't be knocked out in one hand and you can, they do have a statistical edge to outlast you.

If you want to post any hands from the league in our Hand Analysis section, I'm sure you'd get some great advice on how to preserve your chips. As far as I know, these forums are the biggest hub of knowledge related to the leagues, so if you want to know something, all you need to do is ask (or use the search function). Welcome to PSO!

Old
Tue Mar 06, 2012, 11:01 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Jackson!

Unfortunately, those variance runs happen in the short term in poker and we, as players tend to remember the bad ones. For example, AA vs 37, the 37 will win 14% of the time. In the short term, it can look like a hand will lose more than it should, but in the long-term, it will average out.
The thing that I can do as a player is to make the best decision possible at a given time and if that happens, then everything else will work it's way out.

Be sure to take advantage of all that PSO has to offer and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 06, 2012, 11:01 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Hi there JacksonJnr,

Great to see you here!

Check out this link, it's a guided tour of PSO with some useful information to help you get started here.

There are many wonderful people here that are more than happy to answer your questions so keep posting!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 06, 2012, 04:44 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonJnr View Post
I have been playing on Pokerstars for a while now and wasn't sure if maybe it was just bad luck but I've noticed that regardless of what hand I have if I shove and get called by a bigger stack they will more than likely always win, for example I shove with AA get called by 73os guess who wins ? Today in the Premier League I shove with AK get called by AQ guess who wins ? I'm aware that these things happen and they are always going to happen it's poker but seriously when u shove with KK, get called and your opponent has KK and you lose its pretty sick ! Like I say I know that these things happen and will continue to happen but I just feel you get your money in with the best hand and if you are called by a larger stack they will take it maybe its just me being paranoid and I'm just on a bad run, anyone else feel this way, or is it just me?

Simple solution---if you have the bigger stack ALWAYS call. Cards be damned.

See how that works out for you.

Old
Tue Mar 06, 2012, 04:53 PM
(#6)
Deleted user
I was just debating about going back to the photo,guess I need to keep looking.

Old
Tue Mar 06, 2012, 06:07 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2012
Thanks for the responses must just be me

Last edited by JacksonJnr; Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 07:54 PM..

Old
re post - Tue Mar 06, 2012, 09:15 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2011
you could try a foil hat they seem to be popular round here

Old
Sat Mar 10, 2012, 10:54 AM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2011

Old
Sat Mar 10, 2012, 11:18 AM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2010
I have seen several, and been part of a few "a chip and a chair", situations to be able to categorically deny OP's premise. Human memory is a strange and wonderful thing we tend to remember negative outcomes and dramatic outcomes more than positive non-dramatic ones. This helps us, I figure, to avoid bad spots in the future.

A big stack, like a big army, will almost always win a war of attrition. Notice I said "ALMOST always". It's not chiseled in stone but happens with a statistically predictable frequency. This is why programs like PT and HEM are so popular. They provide hard data to prove or disprove our perceptions.

Old
Sat Mar 10, 2012, 11:51 AM
(#11)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi jackson yes I obvously have noticed this,I know exactly what you mean, but there is a simple explanation for this.
The big stack as obviously got their stack from having a good run of cards, catching the board often.
Variance is favouring them on that day, so to me it is now of little surprise to see big stack clearing up with 73s etc, nether the less though you get the goods let them have it ,get your chips in.
hope this helps good luck

Old
Sat Mar 10, 2012, 06:30 PM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
I have seen several, and been part of a few "a chip and a chair", situations to be able to categorically deny OP's premise. Human memory is a strange and wonderful thing we tend to remember negative outcomes and dramatic outcomes more than positive non-dramatic ones. This helps us, I figure, to avoid bad spots in the future.

A big stack, like a big army, will almost always win a war of attrition. Notice I said "ALMOST always". It's not chiseled in stone but happens with a statistically predictable frequency. This is why programs like PT and HEM are so popular. They provide hard data to prove or disprove our perceptions.
THIS!!!

Well said,as always Joe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
Hi jackson yes I obvously have noticed this,I know exactly what you mean, but there is a simple explanation for this.
The big stack as obviously got their stack from having a good run of cards, catching the board often.
Variance is favouring them on that day, so to me it is now of little surprise to see big stack clearing up with 73s etc, nether the less though you get the goods let them have it ,get your chips in.
hope this helps good luck
NOT THIS!!!

Going to Joe's last statement,the one about the popularity of PT and HEM and the hard data they provide which disprove peoples perceptions...

...you ever get the feeling SOME people are against those tools because they don't want their perceptions,misguided and erroneous as they are,disproved?

After all,if that happened they would have to take ownership of THEIR mistakes.

Things that make you go hmmmmm...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com