Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Member Blogs /

Took a shot at 2c/5c

Took a shot at 2c/5c - Tue Mar 06, 2012, 07:38 PM
Since: Jan 2012
Well, I had a pretty good day at 1c//2c today. I didn't really get to play that much, but the cards seemed to fall nicely and I hit the $125 mark. I figured it was time to give 5NL a shot. I bought in for $7 in 2 tables and began playing.

I must say, the first 30 minutes I was actually pretty worried. The aggression seemed a little higher and I was unsure if I'd be able to play as profitably as in the 2NL games. The tables I had up seemed to be fairly tight, but with it being my first time at this level I didn't feel comfortable taking advantage of that. I didn't really catch many playable spots either, but I sort of felt happy about it. I was sort of running on scared money (which of course is not a good thing), but I thought I'd play a little conservative to start developing a feel for this level.

Overall it went ok. I got away with a couple re-steals from BB, but really tried to stay away from anything more. I feel confident, but I'll have to stick my foot in the water a couple more times before diving in. Will most likely start my days with 2NL for an hour or so and then move up to 5NL. If I'll lose a buy-in (bad beat or not) I'll move back to 2NL until I make it up. Anyways, the only thing I hope for is that the cards cooperate while I get used to 5NL. It would definitely crush my confidence if I ran into some bad beats. Thats it for now

Highlight of the day:

UTG - bommel186 ($5.98)
UTG+1 - KPOTOKPbIC ($5.84)
UTG+2 - OIF-369 ($3.31)
MP - parapetoccs ($10.34)
MP2 - FoRlan77 ($6.27)
CO - miticalihet ($2.00)
BTN - Hero ($8.23)
SB - carreriense ($5.00)
BB - normabyn8 ($4.98)

Preflop: ($0.07, 9 players) Hero is BTN with As Ah
6 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, carreriense raises to $0.50, 1 fold, Hero raises to $1.50, carreriense raises to $5.00 (all-in), Hero calls $3.50

Flop: 7h 5h Qs ($10.05, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: 4s ($10.05, 2 players, 1 all-in)

River: Th ($10.05, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Total Pot: $10.05
carreriense shows Ac Kh (high card Ace)
Hero shows As Ah (a pair of Aces)

Hero wins $9.63

Also, note to self:
Need improvement on continuation betting.
Currently at 84%. I don't think that's going to do me much good in the long run.
Watch Langolier's "Continuation Betting" video tomorrow.

Last edited by sydhollow97; Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 07:43 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) 2001-2015, PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com