Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NL MTT early rounds KK Did I play this hand right?

Old
NL MTT early rounds KK Did I play this hand right? - Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:09 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Sorry my hand replayer tool is broken and will not upload... hope this suffices.

We are a few hands into the big $109 tournament so I have no reads on the villain, the only thing I'm sure of is he doesn't have aces, and the hand I have seen he raised preflop with a pair.

PokerStars Hand #76803965531: Tournament #563010443, $100+$9 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2012/03/07 18:13:36 WET [2012/03/07 13:13:36 ET]
Table '563010443 9' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: touchmynuts1 (3185 in chips)
Seat 2: a600369 (5920 in chips)
Seat 3: slyfox151 (3000 in chips)
Seat 4: Elmagico19A1 (2900 in chips)
Seat 5: Bouin (2890 in chips)
Seat 6: prapavedi (3440 in chips)
Seat 7: makraan (795 in chips)
Seat 8: ZarlakRedCaf (5005 in chips)
Seat 9: Redd Baronn (2535 in chips)
a600369: posts small blind 15
slyfox151: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ZarlakRedCaf [Kd Kh]
Elmagico19A1: folds
Bouin: folds
prapavedi: folds
makraan: folds
ZarlakRedCaf: raises 60 to 90
Redd Baronn: calls 90
touchmynuts1: folds
a600369: folds
slyfox151: folds
*** FLOP *** [Jh 4d 9h]
ZarlakRedCaf: bets 168
Redd Baronn: raises 271 to 439
ZarlakRedCaf: calls 271
*** TURN *** [Jh 4d 9h] [6d]
ZarlakRedCaf: bets 827
Redd Baronn: raises 1179 to 2006 and is all-in
ZarlakRedCaf: calls 1179
*** RIVER *** [Jh 4d 9h 6d] [Th]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
ZarlakRedCaf: shows [Kd Kh] (a pair of Kings)
Redd Baronn: shows [8h Qh] (a straight flush, Eight to Queen)
Redd Baronn collected 5115 from pot

So on the flop I lead, I lead out with it and he has a flush draw and raises my bet. I'm sure he hasn't made trips. Did I bet too little? I bet 3 quarters of the pot to try and dissuade a call from somebody drawing, I lead on the turn (I make myself 75%??) and I bet 3 quarters of the pot again and am raised all in. He turns over a flush draw and straight draw and hits both. Should I have played this any differently?

Also first post here, so sorry if I got anything wrong.

Last edited by ZarlakRedCaf; Wed Mar 07, 2012 at 02:12 PM..

Old
Wed Mar 07, 2012, 02:40 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2007
Hey Zarlak,

Welcome, way outside the levels I play at but I think the original raise is a little small. Nothing wrong with the continuation bet but I get a little worried when he re-raises. I am not sure about the turn bet, whether it prices him in or not ( we will have to wait for some of the smarter contingent to answer that) but you are committed to call his re-raise. Checking the turn may have been a better line

The villain was short at this point so not surprised that he was trying to get it all in with a flush draw and a gutshot for the straight and straight flush.

Unlucky, but just one of those hands.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Wed Mar 07, 2012, 03:01 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Hey Zarlak,

Welcome, way outside the levels I play at but I think the original raise is a little small. Nothing wrong with the continuation bet but I get a little worried when he re-raises. I am not sure about the turn bet, whether it prices him in or not ( we will have to wait for some of the smarter contingent to answer that) but you are committed to call his re-raise. Checking the turn may have been a better line

The villain was short at this point so not surprised that he was trying to get it all in with a flush draw and a gutshot for the straight and straight flush.

Unlucky, but just one of those hands.

Cheers,

TC
Thanks for the reply TC, I was a little worried when he raises my C bet post flop but I had already discounted aces and trips and knew I was ahead, when he did it again I was still sure I had him beat until the turn came.

Had I checked the turn instead of bet and he bet out, would you have thrown the hand? Given what I thought originally that he would have played a pair differently.

Old
Wed Mar 07, 2012, 03:15 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Hiya ZarlakRedCaf. Welcome to PSO! And to my favourite forum.

I think that your flop bet is fine, and calling the raise isn't bad, but it can land you in some tricky spots on the turn if any bad cards come. Here, any 7, 8, 9, T, J, Q, A, or heart could really kill your action, because it would be hard to continue with only one pair on a board where the villain could have two pair or a straight. If you're not confident in your ability to play the turn if one of those cards hits, I suggest you reraise and try and get all-in on the flop.

I don't think you need to be worried about three of a kind, because while it is a possibility, this is a board that give a ton of hands in your opponent's range a worse hand that they probably don't want to fold. AJ, KJ, QJ, QT, T8, Ax of diamonds all fit the bill, and they're all behind you. What's more, if you raise and they have something like AJ, it's easier for them to convince themself that you're the one with a drawing hand like T8 or two diamonds, and they'll be more likely to pay you off. So basically, I wouldn't ever fold this on the flop, and I'd likely get all-in then.

The turn was horrible though, because it completes a lot of two pairs, straights, and flushes. Given the size of the pot, I think it would be very hard for me to fold the overpair even with the board looking so bad, but if he lead big on the turn, I might actually fold. That's one example of why reraising the flop would have helped.

I hope that helps! Here's a link to a great thread with info on the different parts of PSO. Glad to have you here, and I hope you post lots more!

Old
Wed Mar 07, 2012, 05:20 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi ZarlakRedCaf!

First, welcome to the forum.

Preflop, I like the standard raise to 3BB and would make the exact same play, as I'll make a standard raise whenever I'm opening a hand.

The flop has 3 undercards, but with possible flush, straight, or combo draws. Holding an overpair, I'm absolutely c-betting here and I want to size my bet to price out the draws and in this situation use 3/4 pot (3/4 pot is my normal here, but if I put them on a combo draw, a pot size bet is actaully better). The opp now raises my bet that prices out the draws. With an overpair, I'm ahead of everything except two pair or a set and since all the draws are priced out if I bet the turn, I'm absolutely calling. If the opp has the combo draw, a 3/4 pot bet makes it a 0EV play to call.

The turn is a blank, so I'm going to make another value bet here, to be able to price out the draws for the river. 827 here is 3/4 pot, but just incase the opp had the combo draw, I'd have sized my bet here at 1k, to be sure that the opp is priced out. The opp raised the flop to price themselves out, so since I'm leading after that, they may be more inclined to just call this time.
The opp now shoves and since any bet larger than 827 on this street has their draw priced out, I'm calling it.
If the opp shows J9 or a set.... so be it, I'll tip my hat to the opp, say nice hand and get into another tourney. If it's the case, this is a good example of where good bankroll management fits in.
If the opp shows anything else, I'm ahead in the hand and have made +EV plays the entire hand... and making the best decisions is what every poker player wants to do.
Unfortunately, the opp got lucky on the river.

I like and would make the same plays preflop and on the flop, but I'd have made my turn bet slightly larger, to be sure to price the opp out. When they shove the turn, I'm calling it basicaly everytime.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com