Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

6max 2NL - Somebody's Shooting at my Ducks!

Old
6max 2NL - Somebody's Shooting at my Ducks! - Thu Mar 08, 2012, 06:33 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
I'm at a very interesting table, at these stakes this is rare - big pots going in all directions - I'm spinning around trying to work out who is in control - I think my 22 is a perfect hand at this table even if all I get are some reads

What happens next? - It is randomish out there, but not in a bad way - the players are playing the players and the cards are almost irrelevant.

I'm trying to be ballsy but my ducks look like they are cooked.

Any ideas?

Ed from edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Thu Mar 08, 2012, 06:49 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I bet $1, you go all in and he folds
Right?

Old
Thu Mar 08, 2012, 07:00 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
I bet $1, you go all in and he folds
Right?

Sandtrap -

Rookie mistake - hope you didn't do that in Vegas!

Of course I didn't go all in - I have him well covered, and even putting him all in would be a bit mental - and I'm pretty tight if not bordering on nitty (unless I'm drunk - then I'm loose, aggressive, and leery - like now).

So you know where to send the $1.00...

Hope your Vegas trip was good and btw we is going to be on the 6-max challenge team together so I am just practising a wee bit (and I sure do need to).

Thanks for your input...

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Thu Mar 08, 2012, 09:36 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinFreeMan View Post
Sandtrap -

Rookie mistake - hope you didn't do that in Vegas!

Of course I didn't go all in - I have him well covered, and even putting him all in would be a bit mental - and I'm pretty tight if not bordering on nitty (unless I'm drunk - then I'm loose, aggressive, and leery - like now).

So you know where to send the $1.00...

Hope your Vegas trip was good and btw we is going to be on the 6-max challenge team together so I am just practising a wee bit (and I sure do need to).

Thanks for your input...

Haven't been to Vegas YET...... 16-23 March for sure, May ???? and June for WSOP
Sorry I should of meant over bet not all in, something like .90 cents

Old
Fri Mar 09, 2012, 03:55 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
***moved to NLHE HA, as it's a cash game hand JWK24***

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 09, 2012, 04:28 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Wow Ed!

Personally, I think you over played 22 here a bit, even given the fact that you believe the BB is loose and aggro.

In a situation at a table with a lot of 3 and 4bets, you really want to play "big pots" with "big hands", and adopt a small pot approach with hands like 22.

As such, I think raising 22 can be fine if you FLAT his (pretty likely) 3bet to set mine, but 4betting to 40c bloats the pot too large in my opinion....or not large enough.

If you are 4betting pre with 22, you are either doing it for value, or as a bluff, right?

If it is a bluff, then why continue at all on the flop when you do not have a strong value hand...that would make it a fold even to his tiny 26c lead. Can't you find a better bluff spot?

If you are 4betting 22 for value, why not raise LARGER and assure you get max value from a 'race" if he calls?

Putting him all in pre will assure you can NEVER fold the best hand if the villain calls. It also maximizes your equity if he will call off lightly. Sure, this is a big risk, but is it really any bigger than 4betting small, taking a flop, seeing a small lead bet, THEN trying a bluff?

If you are reluctant to get all in with 22, then you really shouldn't be 4betting pre flop at all in my opinion.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Fri Mar 09, 2012 at 05:22 PM..

Old
Fri Mar 09, 2012, 06:11 PM
(#7)
I agree JDean I definitely overplayed my hand - I'm usually reluctant to play 22 unless I am short in a tournament and can shove. In a cash game I don't usually set mine with less than 44-77, depending on the number of players limping into the hand and my position, so would rarely play 22 at a 6-max table, perhaps on rare occassions at a full ring in late position when it looks like a 4-5 handed limped pot to see a cheap flop.

It must have been the beer goggles that made the hand look good, and wanting to see how my opponent would react.

Here's what happened next. I think Sandtrap had a pretty good idea.

Old
Fri Mar 09, 2012, 06:18 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Ed,

The issue I have with this play here is that the money was not really deep enough given your pre flop 4bet to allow the 2nd barrel bluff.

Do you honestly think this guy is mucking a Q to your flop raise in this size of pot?

Do you think he is mucking a flush draw or an oesd given the size of the pot?
(each of these would contain 2 overs to your 22, and be a "math favorite" over your hand)

And of course he is never mucking a T...

I'd even go so far as to say that a pp UNDER QQ is probably re-shoving your flop raising, and getting YOU to fold (given the aggro nature of the villain)...

You see Ed, even though the 2nd barrel of the bluff worked THIS TIME, that does not mean the depth of money was suitable for it to work...what you almost certainly saw here was a situation where you were "bluffing with the best hand".

That means while you "won" the pot, you probably allowed the opponent to make the RIGHT decision by folding to your flop raise...

That costs you value.

See?

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Fri Mar 09, 2012 at 06:21 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com