Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Big 2.20, played this hand poorly?

Old
Big 2.20, played this hand poorly? - Thu Mar 08, 2012, 09:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

No real reads on any villains, only played like 15 hands with any of them. Didn't raise the flop as against 2 opponents and if 1 held a hand such as KQ of clubs they would have really good equity against me so didn't want to commit myself right there on the flop. Do not know if I played this hand correctly and feedback would be great, thanks again for the jobs you guys do.

Old
Thu Mar 08, 2012, 09:20 PM
(#2)
Do not know how to add two hands to same feed, so both hands for analysis please.

Old
Fri Mar 09, 2012, 09:42 AM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2011
Should probably stick to one had per thread (or so Dave told me

Anyways, hand #1:

Jacks in the HJ. I don't likle Jacks. Period. With 3 limpers before you, you can't afford to limp or make a minraise. As such, I like the raise. Make em think twice before they continue, and hopefully just take it down right here. Alas, the BB and 2 limpers come in for a flop.

The flop is about as good as it gets. All undercards, but two clubs. At this point the BB donks into us and the limper calls.

At this point I'm probably putting them on pairs and good aces. The good aces missed, or maybe caught a flush draw, the pairs could have hit a set. With the donkbet and call, I can see myself folding the Jacks here However, we do have enough of a stack to play with so calling/raising is an option as well.

Turn pairs the board. To me, if there is any action before me, I'm going to be throwing the Jacks away. Too bad if I get bluffed. Instead, both now check to me. I'm confused. I can see one of them (maybe both) having an ace and shutting down after failing to win the hand on the flop. You bet half pot. I would check behind and get a free river. I don't see much value in betting here. The only thing that can call me that I am beating here would be the Ax of clubs. The BB shoves on our raise, so definitely throwing the Jacks away now.

He flips over the queens and we suck out on the river. Gawd that feels good. Still, I don't think this was the most optimal way to play the Jacks.

Hand #2

QQ in early position, good enough for a raise. You make the standard 3x raise. Works for me. The HJ raises to 400. If I call here I'll be out of position, which is no fun. If the A or K flops, what then? I would prefer to see a 3-bet here. Whether that would be for about 1100 or all of his chips.... I think I'd shove on him here. However, you opted to flat call.

The flop's great. No overcards, no serious straight draw, so basically only worried about the AA, KK or the flush draw. He may be holding pocket 88. I doubt he would have made such a small preflop raise with something like 55 or 22. So we check to him, he bets a little under half pot, and we call. Why not checkraise here? The call is nice for pot control, agreed, but it gives him a free chance to draw at the flush if that's what he holds. The added benefit of the raise here: if he calls or shoves, we can throw away the Queens assuming he's holding AA or KK or 88. Now we flat the flop, and be prepared to face a big bet on the turn and a shove on the river. At this point we could raise to 1000 and find out where we are. With the call, we are calling because we assume the queens are best? Which means that if the turn is another low card, we should be prepared to call a bet on the turn as well, which would likely cost us more than the 625 raise.

Much to my surprise, the guy checks back the turn. Hoping we bluff the river , or hoping to draw to the flush for free?

The river flat out sucks. The flush got there, and should the opp have something like AK or AQ, he got there as well. At this point I'd be hoping for a free showdown. We get the free showdown and he flips over kings. Guess he was following the same train of thought I was.

So basically - you didn't double him up, I would have with my preflop shove. I would have lost more chips postflop as well with the raise. Man I suck
What it comes down to I think is you've taken a cautious approach here which turned out to be the best way in the end. I wonder though what others think of the hand.

-------------------------------------------------------
keeping track of my poker semi-career: ov3rsight.blog.com

Old
Fri Mar 09, 2012, 10:07 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Darkmajic365

Your preflop line with jack's here is fine I would raise close to the amount you made it. The problem here is we have 3 callers which now bloates the pot to 1200 chips which leaves little room to manouver post flop. So we flop good for our jacks and the small blind bets out for 360 chips and we have 1 caller. So here is where I play the hand differenty, instead of flat calling I think a raise get it in is best here.

I can see your reasoning for flat calling in position, but as the pot is already bloated I prefer to remove any tough decisions we face on the turn by raising all on the flop. If the chip to pot ratio was larger I can justify flat calling, but as the pot is already bloated and our hand is usually good here vs two $2.20 mtt randoms I would like to see you get it in on the flop.

As played... when the board pairs on the turn we got it in , now an 8 is definetly in this guys range. So if were gonna go ahead and get it in on the turn when a somewhat bad card comes ' their are obviously worse cards ' then we can definetly get it in on the flop.

Overall you played the hand ok, villain turns over QQ which is weird. Nice river card for us

Old
Fri Mar 09, 2012, 01:55 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewMe1 View Post
Hi Darkmajic365

Your preflop line with jack's here is fine I would raise close to the amount you made it. The problem here is we have 3 callers which now bloates the pot to 1200 chips which leaves little room to manouver post flop. So we flop good for our jacks and the small blind bets out for 360 chips and we have 1 caller. So here is where I play the hand differenty, instead of flat calling I think a raise get it in is best here.

I can see your reasoning for flat calling in position, but as the pot is already bloated I prefer to remove any tough decisions we face on the turn by raising all on the flop. If the chip to pot ratio was larger I can justify flat calling, but as the pot is already bloated and our hand is usually good here vs two $2.20 mtt randoms I would like to see you get it in on the flop.

As played... when the board pairs on the turn we got it in , now an 8 is definetly in this guys range. So if were gonna go ahead and get it in on the turn when a somewhat bad card comes ' their are obviously worse cards ' then we can definetly get it in on the flop.

Overall you played the hand ok, villain turns over QQ which is weird. Nice river card for us
Yeah im pretty much agreeing with you chris, should of got it in on the flop in hand 1. What about the two Q's?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com