Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / New Members /

hello and an intro to milehigh

Old
hello and an intro to milehigh - Sat Mar 10, 2012, 06:41 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
ok i was going to use the MOM competition to introduce my self but as its no longer running here it is,i started playing poker a few years back during a period of unemployment,playing on a free site i scored a ticket worth $25 usd real money from a freeroll during a promotion period,to try out a real money site.after a few freerolls there and a dabble on the cash tables i decided to give the weekly $10k gaurantee tourney a run,so i pulled out my glass grabbed a bottle of jim and went to it,about 7-8 hours later i was pretty charged up and on the final table and made it to heads up an took 2nd place for $1600,from here i was pretty much hooked with the poker bug.i scored a few more good cashes on the site before they banned/disallowed australian players,which led me to opening an account here at pokerstars,where i have had mixed successes but as a whole would be in the minus profits,this i attribute to the style i was playing where id made a bit of cash before getting here and was only playing tournament poker so i didnt mind having to reload my account,and this being a larger site with bigger prizes obviously there will be more stronger players to compete with. Only recently i changed my outlook,yeah i play for fun but at the end of the day i guess we all want to be profitable players,so i've started studying and trying to learn more about the game to improve my play and become a profitable player at what ever level im playing at from micros through to bigger buy ins,br management wasnt even something i thought about before because as i said i was 'ahead overall' and didnt mind reloading to play in a tournament if need be,but since my change in perspective towards the game and what i want out of it im struggling a little as i seem to be doing the 3 steps forward 2 steps back thing,as im now trying to build a br and not reload my account, for example a while ago i started playing the 50 50 games and got off to a flying start at the $7 buy ins cashing 9/10 of my first games only to have a turn around in the next run for losses of 11/14 games,i play on occasion the $10 cap tables with the same problem have a good session and make $50 only to turn around next session and drop $40 - $60 or vice versa,or drop my profits on tournament buy ins without cashing, to try and combat the swings and practice a little br management,im trying a few strategies -at the moment im only playing limit holdem and have stopped buying into tournies rather opting for FPP sattelites or going without untill i build my br a bit,ironically i hit the ground running at the limit tables and made about $50 in a couple of sessions at 2/4 cent and 25/50 cent levels,but again i crash,i didnt change my playing style as i was winning,but after my first few winning sessions for no apparent reason went on a downswing eating my profits, once they where gone the cards seem to have swung my way again and im sitting a little above even from my starting br,this is frustrating the crap out of me as i cant build a br like this,every time i profit and get start with my br ,things turn bad till im back to scratch then i start to profit again it seems a never ending cycle.Like i said i havnt changed my playing style at all its just my cards stop holding up,( sets crushed by bigger sets etc),im not saying my play is perfect,i know i have much to learn,but if i can make $40 profit playing in a couple of sessions im doing something right,just cant understand why i cant keep the profits there and continue to build

So theres a little intro to me and where im at,if anyone can offer useful advice please do,as always any help is appreciated.

Good luck and hope to see you on the tables soon

Old
Sat Mar 10, 2012, 07:05 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Welcome!

Sounds like losing money is frustrating you. It's good to bring in money hand over fist, but that doesn't happen for most people. It takes a long time to get good enough to expect to make even $5 per hour continuously and consistently. If you play for enjoyment, why not settle for the lowest stakes for awhile? Once you feel comfortable at the stakes you play, you'll gain confidence and find it easier to make good decisions. You'll also gain experience for cheap, and experience is what teaches us the biggest lessons in poker, I think. It's better to get frustrated losing $5 than $50, so it's an idea to think about.

And if you like fixed limit poker, we have a great hand analysis forum just for that. It doesn't get much use, but we do have some analyzers who are quite good at fixed limit hold'em. If you post there a bit, it'll assuredly help your game a ton. Give it a shot!

Old
re post - Sat Mar 10, 2012, 10:36 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2011
first panicky thnx for your reply, and lol of course losing money frustrates me but not in the way you think, i'm quite comfortable playing at the levels i play on cash tables otherwise i wouldnt be there to begin with,and in a general nature i'm ahead in prize money due to some early successes when i first started playing online,
heres the kicker i've played on a fair few sites since i started playing poker online,the most success came at a site where i can no longer play due to their restrictions on my country,but i'm still playing on a regular basis on 3 sites and lately (this will sound like a tin foil hat wearin rant) i'm noticing a common trend among them,i seem to be able to play at a profit,to initially make the money i must be doing something right,and as im profiting continually play the same style and game whilst trying to correct the mistakes that i might have made ,but once i start to accumulate a bit of profit,no matter how consistent my play,i seem to suffer considerable beats or runs of bad luck , till my profit margin is all but gone,then still without changing my game/playing style i will build up again to a point before the cycle seems to start again,this is whats frustrating.
i've read many theories over the years about hand distributions,fair gaming policies/laws etc,about how if the better players always win the lesser players will give up and so on...
but lets face it there are people out there called pros who make a good living from this great game (i know im not one,and that i have much to learn,and that my game needs work to improve), and if we didnt have them what would anyone aspire to? but im sure they arent winning 20k every day for a week or month,then suffering bad runs till its gone.

has anyone else out there experienced this sort of thing? i'm not saying "rigged game" or "conspiracy theory " i'm just trying to understand why how i play is good enough to make money 1 week and not the next

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com