Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PokerStars Hand #77009851483: Tournament #530644585, $0.91+$0.09 USD Hold'em No Limit

Old
Sun Mar 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi I'mJigJig!

Preflop, I'm going to make my standard open raise, to 3BB (60 chips). I'm called by the button, so I'm playing the rest of the hand out of position.

The flop is a very coordinated board with a possible straight, flush draw and multiple straight draws. Having an overpair with QQ, I want to follow up my preflop raise with a c-bet and I need to make it large enough to price out all the draws. Therefore, I'm making a pot-sized bet here of 150.
I don't want to bet less, as that can price in many of the opp's possible draws.

By betting 90, it only takes 90 into a pot that will be 330 to call (27%). This can price in any flush draw with overcards. Also, the smaller bet here leaves the opportunity for the opp to bluff at the pot... and if they do, I could very easily not be able to call it due to pot odds and have to muck the best hand.

The line that I would take on the flop is to make a bet pricing out the draws as a value bet. This makes it harder for the opp to bluff at the pot and if they make a large raise, I will muck to it since it's early.

The way the hand was played, while I may be mucking the best hand, I would muck to the opp's large raise on the flop. I may be ahead or may be behind a made straight, but with the numerous draws available, I could easily be behind.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com