Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Hero (AQ - CO) loses - a pair of jacks wins over high card king and high card ace 03-

Old
Sun Mar 11, 2012, 01:09 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi I'mJigJig!

Preflop, I try to make my raises standard so that the opp can't pick up a bet tell on me. Due to this, with AQ in position, I'd raise to 150. Two opps call the preflop raise, so I get to play the rest of the hand in postion, which is a plus.

The flop leaves me with two overcards and a gutshot straight draw. The first opp checks, but then the second bets 600. I now need to decide whether to call, raise or fold, so let's look at each option.

To call, I will have to put 600 into a pot that will be 1755 (34.2%). Even if all of my outs are good, I have 10 outs or 20% hand equity to see the turn only. Also, I'm not sure that all of these outs are good, as QJ or AJ are well within the opp's range. Due to this, I do not want to call.

If I shove, then it will cost me 1200 into a pot that will be 2955 if the opp that bet 600 calls (41%). If I'm sure that all my outs will be good (which I'm not), then I'd have 40% hand equity to see both streets. In this situation, I try to look at either the Q or the A being compromised as outs, so I really have 7 outs or 28% hand equity. Since 41% is higher than 28%, I don't want to shove in this situation.

This leaves folding, and is the option that I'll take.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com