Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Test your hand reading ability

Old
Tue Mar 13, 2012, 03:33 PM
(#21)
Since: Jul 2011
Yep sam, my intention was to get the villain to fold. Since I had 87 of clubs.
Would I have hit trips or two pair, I´d bet in a range of 66% which he definately would have called.

Old
Fri Mar 16, 2012, 08:44 AM
(#22)
Since: Aug 2010
Mentioned in: 23 post(s)
You know what I really liked about your hand sjekkk was the fact that the line you took (1) made your hand confusing , and (2) could potentially be used for a value hand, but isn't a line I'd usually take ... so the novelty of it really sort of caught my eye

Like if I have a better than average hand, but where I stand relative to the villain is unknown, I've been tending to either go (1) raise, raise, raise, or (2) check-call, check-call, check-call, or (3) raise, raise, check ... like usually I've been saving check-call, check-call, raise for when I feel I have more clarity, or if I flopped the nuts and I'm slowplaying. But I've never used that line to try and push somebody off what might be a better hand.

And so I tried it yesterday, and it went horribly wrong, when the hand I was trying to represent the villain actually held. That's so unfortunate when that happens

My reads were off, so that was part, then there were cues I didn't pay sufficient attention to because they didn't seem terribly important until I looked back on them after the hand was done. So I guess I'll chalk that up to a learning experience, but it's always fun to feel like you've learned a new move, so I guess I'll keep trying

Old
Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:33 AM
(#23)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Mentioned in: 55 post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
I agree with this...

My comment was directed at the way the hand played out...if he wanted to check the flop to slow play, at the latest he should have raised the turn. On the turn is when it was said Sjekkkk was sure his opponent held a value hand. If he slow played the flop, then that was the point he should have raised to extract value from his slow play.
My comment about raising the flop with a set was actually in response to trustysam's comment here, which I quoted in the reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
Wouldn't anybody be worried with a check-raise on the turn with a set (of 8's) that they'll only get called by better (set of K's), and fold out worse (AA, AK)?
But yeah I agree with you if we haven't raised the flop with a set we should at least be raising the turn with it.

Head Live Trainer

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:35 AM
(#24)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Mentioned in: 55 post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
I am getting really confused with this one; so there is nothing new there then

Siekkkkk says here as I read it that he had the 87 clubs.

But how could he have 87 clubs when the flop contained the 8 clubs

Or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Tony
You're not missing something. There's a typo in there somewhere, since it's reasonable to assume he remembers distinctly his holding, I'm guessing the 8 on the board was a spade.

Head Live Trainer

Double Bracelet Winner