Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Hero (QA - Middle Position) loses - a pair of threes wins over high card ace 03-11-20

Old
Sun Mar 11, 2012, 04:36 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi I"mJigJig!

Preflop with AQ, I'm going to make my std raise, which for this level is to 3BB (I normally drop to 2.5BB once I hit 100/200 blinds), so I'll raise to 450.

The flop brings 3 unders to my AQ. I'm going to check in this situation and hope the opp missed the flop too and checks behind. The opp bets 300 and to call it will be 300 into a pot of 1575 (19%). If my 6 outs (three Q's and three A's) are all good, then I have 12% hand equity for only the turn card. Since my 12% is less than the 19% into the pot, I'm going to fold here.

If I had a read on the opp that they would fold to a c-bet, then I could try to represent an overpair and make a 1/2 to 2/3 pot, hoping that the opp would fold a small pair or air. I'd only want to do that if I had a read on the opp though, as I wouldn't want to be giving away chips to an opp that will not fold (calling station for example).

Sometimes it's best, just to muck and find a better situation.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com