Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Hero (K6 - Big Blind) loses - three of a kind, kings wins over two pair, kings and si

Old
Sun Mar 11, 2012, 12:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
Hey Jig,

I think that preflop, you're not in a good position to see a flop. Your hand plays badly should you call or raise, since it's so easily dominated. I know you're getting great odds, but I think that if you call, you really can't play for a K-high flop. You need to flop two pair or better in order to be confident in your hand, and you're getting nowhere near the odds you need to do that.

On the flop, you're never getting a better king to fold, so I don't think you should lead. Since you didn't hit two pair or better, there's a good argument for check/folding. When you hit two pair on the turn though, I'd absolutely raise to get value from hands that did had you dominated before.

Old
Sun Mar 11, 2012, 01:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I was just pointing out that I don't like leading the flop (even if you didn't). I don't even like check/calling with such a bad kicker, so I think folding the flop is best.

Old
Sun Mar 11, 2012, 04:50 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi I'mJigJig!

I'm going to go about this one differently.

Preflop, I'm going to call the opps just over min-raise with K6s into a 3-way pot.

However, when I flop top pair, I'm going to lead here and make a value bet large enough to price out the club flush draw. This gives me a chance to take down the pot here, but also, if either of the opps calls/raises me, I know that my hand is most likely in trouble. I'm going to size my bet at about 2/3 pot, so I'll bet 600. If either opp calls, then they most likely will have a K and better kicker, flush draw, or possibly a set. The original preflop raiser calls.

The turn brings the 6 of clubs. This is a good, but also very scary card. It does give me two pair, but completes a club flush draw. Due to this, I'm going to check the turn, call any small bet by the opp and re-evaluate on the river.

The river 7 is basically a blank (unless the opp has 77). Due to this, I'm going to try and make a blocking bet here of 300-400 chips. My hand does have showdown value, but I don't want the opp to lead every street and make a large bet here (or make a large raise to my blocking bet), as I wouldn't be able to call it due to the flush draw hitting.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com