Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

6max 2NK JQ suited call pre and flop nut straight with flush draw

Old
6max 2NK JQ suited call pre and flop nut straight with flush draw - Tue Mar 13, 2012, 01:43 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
I'm still a bit out of shape at my 6-max practice....

Maybe I should have bet the flop when I hit so large? And maybe I should be careful after the turn pops a second ace up.

Opps stats were 20VPIP/20PFR over the 20 hands at this table - the first time I had seen them.

Any thoughts on action so far and best way to continue?

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Tue Mar 13, 2012 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: added basic stats

Old
Tue Mar 13, 2012, 03:49 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi Ed,

I will give my thoughts for what they are worth. I am not a HUD user but a 20% VPIP/PFR indicates that he is playing quite a significant range, he is TAG but not a nit. So we are looking at roughly any pair, any broadway, any suited A and probably suited connectors that he is raising preflop.

I don't like the check/call on the flop with the nut straight and then the turn brings the worse possible card. AK and A,10 are both in his range but so is any other Ax. He could have trips (most likely) or even a straight. The size of the bet on the turn seems to be protecting against a flush although it could be a value bet.

I am definitely calling his bet and would possibly reraise here to see how he reacts. If he just calls I am jamming the river, if he reraises then I probably have to let the straight go.

A very tough spot Ed, let us know how it played out.

Cheers,

Tony

Old
Tue Mar 13, 2012, 04:02 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Hi Ed,

I will give my thoughts for what they are worth. I am not a HUD user but a 20% VPIP/PFR indicates that he is playing quite a significant range, he is TAG but not a nit. So we are looking at roughly any pair, any broadway, any suited A and probably suited connectors that he is raising preflop.

I don't like the check/call on the flop with the nut straight and then the turn brings the worse possible card. AK and A,10 are both in his range but so is any other Ax. He could have trips (most likely) or even a straight. The size of the bet on the turn seems to be protecting against a flush although it could be a value bet.

I am definitely calling his bet and would possibly reraise here to see how he reacts. If he just calls I am jamming the river, if he reraises then I probably have to let the straight go.

A very tough spot Ed, let us know how it played out.

Cheers,

Tony
Hi Tony

thanks for response - just to mention I downloaded trial version of PT3 - took me 3 days to work out how to use the basic functions but it is running now - I've never used a HUD before and I have very few hands on any opp but it does give you a quick reference after a few orbits, especially if someone is very loose/aggressive or very very tight. I'm using the PSO cash FR/6-max challenge both to practice my cash game and to try out a HUD.

I'ts not going to drastically improve my game in the next two weeks though - so Hand Analysis/Live Training/Videos is the main help I can get in the short term.

Played close to a 1,000 hands today and up and down like a yo-yo - now down $1.50ish, at best was up $3.50, so in terms of $2.00 stacks not too high a variance.

Will post hand in full after more comments.

Cheers

Good luck all

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Tue Mar 13, 2012 at 04:04 PM..

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 07:18 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
I am wondering at how many tables you play?

QJs in BB is most likely a call from a button raise, you could even 3bet it there vs a player that knows how to click fold (as bluff).
From the stats you provide he seems quite aggressive. Doesn´t really indicate wether he is tight or loose. the 4 hands he played he raised all of them.

You call +2 for you
+0 for folding and +1 for 3betting.

you hit a straigth and you check to the raiser +2 for you 0 for donklead 0 for going allin.
you hope to trap them since you have the absolute nuts at this moment with 1 out to improve for the most indestructible hand.

he makes a decent size C-bet indicating he has hit the flop. There is no way you can be behind and since the guy can still be on a weak hand or even bluff you call +2, +1 for raising, 0 for folding.

When the A hit this could be a disaster card since you can be losing now to a boat. So you check again +2, 0 for betting. This A is also a scare card to your opponent if he doesn´t have one. Any aggressive player will take another stab at the pot and so did he.

+2 for calling, +1 for raising and 0 for folding.

I don´t know what the river is but I can´t imagine you folded here.
lets say the board paired again, unless its the 10 of clubs that gives you the royal flush.

checking +2, folding to a bet +2. 0 points for any bet, +1 for a call at the end with good odds.
If 10 of clubs hit, going ALLIN + 3. betting +2, check raise allin +1.

If a blank hits (e.g. 7 of hearts),
check +2, call +2, fold 0.
bet 0.

if a club hit
check +2, call +2, fold 0.
bet 0.

if a J or Q falls
check +2, fold +2, call +1
bet 0

decide how many points you´d have gotten

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 09:52 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Hi Ed,

against a basically unknown player I think flatting pre is fine, even oop. QJs has such a great playability that I would rarely fold and almost never 3bet here without any particular reasons for it based on reads/stats.

OTF I would x/r and try building a pot here since you can get action from a lot of Ax, broadway hands with gutters, 2 pairs, sets etc. Many of the weaker hands in that range may checkback on later streets or give up anyway so you are basically not costing yourself much additional value with a x/r.

As played I would probably stick to x/c'ing down until the river and let villain valuebet weaker hands himself (I expect the majority of players to oblige with any Ax really). On such a broadway texture villain may have a few boat combinations and I would not want to get stacks in here. The flop would definitely have been the sweeter spot for this imo.

- Felix

Live Trainer

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 10:26 AM
(#6)
Thanks all for the feedback

I do think a check/raise on the flop to get the pot higher earlier (or all in if they came back over the top) looks optimal, as it was I got it in a bit later but was still ahead to an Ax that had trip Aces and outs to redraw against me

Not much we can do about the ending.

Good luck all

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 11:06 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
I agree with Felix, this is a call pre and not a 3B or fold.

And raising the flop is essential. There are many worse hands that can and will give you action and you want to start building the pot immediately before a scary card can come and kill your action. If the guy's got aces up or AQ/AJ, you want to facilitate getting monies in right now while he's willing to do it, since any Q, J, or club on the turn may freeze him up.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 11:09 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Also a quick note about the stats, the sample size is way too small to draw conclusions from, but it's generally a safe assumption in 6m that a villain opening the button is doing so wider than normal anyway, so QJs is definitely playable here.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com