Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Flopped 3 aces dude, now what?

Old
Flopped 3 aces dude, now what? - Wed Mar 14, 2012, 05:40 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010

A simular spot to my last post in that i again make Trips only 2 to a flush on board this time so do i play cautious or fast or trappy oh and how do i do that.

So its hand 7 of the $7 STT but i have previous hands with Trekimmo, He is very Loose passive but will fold to a three bet 44/2 33%fold to 3 bet.

Any thoughts gratefully received, (i was thinking of advice from last as i played this.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 06:08 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
The standard play here is to bet between 75% and 100% of the pot, and possibly overbet the pot if you think it would be more profitable. The reasons why:

1) The obvious reason, there are two draws on board that cleanly connect with the ranges of the other people at the table. KQ, KT, QT, and xhxh all make sense as hands that some or all of the villains could easily have.

2) You're in a multi-way pot, which increases the likelihood of somebody having something they want to call with.

The combination of 1 and 2 justify c-betting bigger than you normally would. But there are actually more reasons to c-bet big:

3) Not only are there draws that connect with your opponents' ranges, but there are a ton of value hands they could have that will not fold (AK, AJ, JJ, etc.). Since you have the nuts, you might as well get value from these hands as well.

4) This table is obviously passive. Someone could be fishy enough to have 54s and call with it. Take advantage of that.

I would bet about t250 here. Your stack is too deep to commit on this flop unless you overbet (which is an option), so I recommend you bet big enough that you'll easily be able to get all-in by the river, but small enough so that you leave yourself a way out in case a heart turns.

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 07:21 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Grade b!

I agree with Panicky on this one. I want to price out the flush/combo draws for as many of the opps as possible that want to stay. Due to this, I'll bet between 3/4 and pot and tend to go toward the higher end, the more that are in the hand. So.. I'll make a pot sized bet.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 07:46 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Hi b!

Top set is an annoying hand. You want to bet to get value from weaker aces, but it's so hard for anyone else to have an ace. If you had JJ here, there would be 3 live aces, but with AA there is only one. You are praying to be against JJ or 22. You might manage to get one street out of Jx or a pocket pair, but it's unlikely to get stacks in. Thankfully this flop comes with possible straight and flush draws to help you out. If it were AJ2 rainbow, I'd think checking would be your best option. It's a multiway pot, so you're probably not betting as a bluff ever, by checking you keep air in your range and underrep your hand, allow people to think their pair of XX is good against your likely KQ/KT/QT gutshot or small pair, etc. But the flush draw opens up all sorts of opportunities! a decent flush draw has loads of equity, and you could definitely be betting into a 4-way pot with it! And if you're betting that draw, then you might be betting KQ (especially with a heart or two) or a pair besides the ace. They also might feel comfortable getting it in with you with any flush draw, big straight draw, Jx, TT, or pair+flush draw.

Now how big should you bet? Well, on an ace high board people's calling ranges are usually fairly inelastic. What this means is that if they're gonna fold to say 3/4 pot, they'd also fold to about 1/3 pot. Similarly if they're going to call the 1/3 pot bet, they'd probably call the 3/4 pot bet as well. What this means is that the vacuum best strategy is to bet small with your bluffs and large with your value hands (on a wet board like 8JQ it's more like go big or go home, gotta bet big with your whole range if you're betting). Of course this creates an imbalance, right? Should be pretty easy bet-sizing tell if your bluffs are small but your value bets are big. But...how are they going to pick up on this? If you're against a good thinking regular who's likely to pick up on this stuff, then you'll want to standardize your bets here, maybe always betting around 1/2 pot or something, but against fish (fishy regs or non-regs) you can adopt an exploitative strategy and not really worry about being exploited yourself!

So here on a fairly wet board I do like betting with top set. With a flush draw and possible broadway and wheel straight draws out there, there is a lot of stuff you can get value from and a lot of stuff you can be representing. If you bet pot (a very fishy standard) you will have about 1000 left and if called by one player the pot will be about 1000 as well. This sets you up for a natural shove on the turn. As I said before, the calling ranges will be pretty inelastic, so the pot bet is about as likely to get called as a smaller bet, and it builds up the pot to make it easy to play for stacks.

I'd still rather have JJ here though. Yeah AA coolers it, but JJ coolers 22, AJ, AK, AQ, etc. (probably add KQhh, KThh, QThh, K2hh to that list). AA obviously coolers all that as well, but it only leaves 3+4+4 = 11 possible AJ-AK instead of 33!

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com