Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

KQs looks pretty but is it good enough

Old
KQs looks pretty but is it good enough - Wed Mar 14, 2012, 06:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010

Still the big 4.40 15 mins till registration closes but for now we have 3270 in 990 get paid and i'm in 652 (but want to gain 651 places.

So tempted to call but should i ?

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 06:36 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
If this guy is good, then it's absolutely a call. He should be shoving wide enough that you can be ahead here. If he's a weaker player, then he's probably shoving somewhat nitty, because weak players tend to shove too tight when they're on a short stack, especially when antes are in play. I'd begrudgingly fold this without reads, because your average player is going to be weak.

FYI, I think a good shove range from his spot would be something like:

22+ A2s+ A7o+ K7s+ KJo+ Q8s+ QJo J8s+ JTo T8s+ 98s 87s

But a less experienced player would see their stack a little over 10bb and probably shove something like:

77+ AJ+

You're 50% against one, and 37% against the other. You need 40% equity to call. One is a snap-call, the other an easy fold. To handle spots like this, just guess what their range is and figure out your equity. These situations are actually pretty simple. Just take your best guess and see what happens. You'll make better guesses with practice.

Old
Wed Mar 14, 2012, 08:00 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Grade b!

KQ for me is one of those hands that I like to shove with, but don't like calling shoves with (unless it's an extremely short stacked opp and it won't do any damage to my stack). Hands have to be better to call with, than to shove with.

Another reason I'm folding here is that the opp is not under 10BB yet. With more than 10BB, the opp should be shoving a much tighter range and with all the big aces that are within their range, I'm going to be behind with KQs.

Due to this and having a very playable stack, I'll muck KQs here.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com