Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Full House, limped pot | STT

Old
Full House, limped pot | STT - Wed Mar 14, 2012, 11:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2010
best line is start betting (building pot) or wait for check/raise?

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
NL Holdem $30(BB) Replayer
Hero ($2,770)
BB ($1,245)
UTG ($970)
UTG+1 ($1,580)
CO ($4,310)
BTN ($2,625)

Dealt to Hero 9:heart: T:heart:

fold, UTG+1 calls $30, CO calls $30, BTN calls $30, Hero calls $15, BB checks

FLOP ($150) 9:spade: 4:diamond: 9:diamond:

Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, BTN checks

TURN ($150) 9:spade: 4:diamond: 9:diamond: T:spade:

Hero bets $60, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, CO folds, BTN folds

Hero shows 9:heart: T:heart:

Hero wins $150

Old
Thu Mar 15, 2012, 07:53 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I disagree with Jig here. I think that in spots like these, checking the flop leaves a lot of money on the table, and especially when you turn a lock hand, checking or betting tiny is a missed opportunity. Remember, everybody in the pot limped preflop; what are the chances any of them have a betting hand? Very low. Nobody is going to have an overpair, because those would have raised preflop. And a flopped set will be rare, because there are only three combinations of those (44, 44, 44). You're blocking pretty much everything else, because you have a T and a 9.

It is highly unlikely that anybody at this table is going to try betting out in a 5-way pot, because the best anyone is likely to have here is A4 or a flush draw. It's possible that someone will have a better 9 than yours on the flop, but there are way more worse hands that could call you if you were to bet. I would absolutely bet the flop here, and I would bet big, for basically the same reasons as in this thread:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/com...-dude-now-what

When you turn the full house, just bet (bigger) and hope somebody will call. Nobody is going to bet for you, because nobody else is likely to have a full house at this point. On the turn, I think you should bet closer to half-pot, because there are two flush draws and a straight draw that can call you, and you want them to call, complete their draw, go all-in on the river, and lose.

Old
Thu Mar 15, 2012, 08:48 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi CZDonkey!

I agree with Panicky.... I'm betting the flop here both for value and to see if my opp could have a 9 and higher kicker and will size the bet at 1/2 pot (my std c-bet).

If I would check any street, it would be the turn, as giving the opp a free river card most likely won't hurt me. If the opp has been a calling station or aggressive, then I'm betting the turn. If the opp was playing passively, I'd be more likely to check and hope they hit a piece of the river.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com