Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Hero (QQ - UTG) loses - a flush, ace high wins 03-17-2012

Old
Sat Mar 17, 2012, 12:04 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
Hey Jig,

I don't think you overplayed this hand, I think you underplayed it. It's somewhat rare for somebody to flop a flush or a set, and if they do, congrats, nh, gg. I think you should be willing to stack off on this flop, and given the fact that only 85, 53, and 66 get there on the turn, I think you should treat that turn more or less as a blank and be willing to get all your chips in then, too. There are so many hands that will give you action, it's a waste not to take advantage of it.

I would have bet about two-thirds of the pot on the flop, and I'd lean toward a higher bet for the purposes of protecting my hand. The same applies on the turn. The guy who made the small bet could have been doing that with a monster hand or a little draw (usually a bad play on his part in either scenario imo), so I tend to ignore it altogether. Since I think you should have bet the turn, and I don't see anything having changed by the small bet from the villain, I think your raise is good, but again, too small.

Overall, I think you could play the hand more aggressively next time and that it would probably help your game in spots like these. You're a huge favourite on the flop versus both villains' ranges, and especially so if they're not regulars. I hope that helps, and good luck with the STT's!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com