Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

How terrible can you get?

Old
How terrible can you get? - Sat Mar 17, 2012, 12:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Not sure what the wost move ever at a poker table is, but this one comes pretty darn tooting close I would imagine.

I don't know why the button would shove the river, since heck - who is ever going to fold....

Woops. The BB folded anyway.

Old
Sat Mar 17, 2012, 12:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2012
hahahaha, (I like the think I would not do that )

Old
Sat Mar 17, 2012, 12:40 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Number of ways the BU could lose his whole stack: 0

Number of ways he could chip up by shoving: 1

Absolutely no risk involved in his play. His play is good, although leaning toward neutral ingenuity imo. Well played, sir.

Why does this look bad?

Old
Sat Mar 17, 2012, 12:52 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Ov3rsight!

I don't have a problem with the shove. IMO the player that folded the nuts (quads with A kicker) was the player that made a totally awful play.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 17, 2012, 12:53 PM
(#5)
I guess if the horrible play is on the part of the folder, than... it was a scary bet.

tbh, it usually takes me several seconds to know for sure that I'm playing the board in spots like these. Very new players must see the risk of making a mistake to be huge, since it's for their entire stack. So, I can understand the fold.

Old
Sat Mar 17, 2012, 01:02 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2010
Yes - the bad play is definitely the fold - I'm shoving every time from the button as novice players might think I have the 'other' seven...you never know.

I also love 4 of a kind on the board with a middle card when I have an ace in hand. So many new players think they will share the pot and they often call a shove and lose to the kicker. (Yes that was me for about two years till I figured it out).

I would like to know what game/level this was at though.

Good luck all

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Sat Mar 17, 2012, 01:05 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinFreeMan View Post
I'm shoving every time from the button as novice players might think I have the 'other' seven...you never know.
That's clever.

I recently made the mistake of getting all-in with a counterfeited full house. I guess it never hurts to try (especially when you're looking for the call, not the fold).

Old
Sat Mar 17, 2012, 01:25 PM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ov3rsight View Post
Not sure what the wost move ever at a poker table is, but this one comes pretty darn tooting close I would imagine.

I don't know why the button would shove the river, since heck - who is ever going to fold....

Woops. The BB folded anyway.
I like the shove on the river as I have done this before and got people to fold when they can't lose.
But it can hurt you when they call and additional rake is taken.

Old
Sat Mar 17, 2012, 01:30 PM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirshot View Post
I like the shove on the river as I have done this before and got people to fold when they can't lose.
But it can hurt you when they call and additional rake is taken.
It's a tourney so here I would just shove it.

In a cash game, hmmm, maybe I wouldn't bother unless I really thought the opp was a total fish.

Well worth making this point though.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Sat Mar 17, 2012 at 01:33 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com