Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Was i right to try get it in here?

Old
Was i right to try get it in here? - Sat Mar 17, 2012, 09:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
SilverStar

Only info was i seen him enter 3/20 hands and he went to the river on 2 of them showing down AJs and AQo.
Should i of maybe checked back the river? The only holdings in his range beating me on the flop are QQ and KK and if he has them why check the turn on such a dangerous board?

Thanks in advance

Ceril

Last edited by ceril12; Sat Mar 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM..

Old
Sat Mar 17, 2012, 11:40 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi ceril!

With flopping bottom set on a very wet board, I need to be sure to size my bet to be able to price out a draw for the opp. I'd have raised it about the size of the pot, to 400.
The opp calls, the turn is a blank and the opp that has been aggressive in the hand so far checks to me. I want to make another bet that will price out the draws, so I'll make a pot-sized bet again.

The river is an overcard that can complete one of the OESD's that was available on the flop. The opp checks to me again. Here is where a read on the opp would be very helpful and also the type of tourney. I have a hand that does have showdown value, but with the straight draw hitting the river, I'm not sure whether or not I've got the best hand.
If this is a league game, I'm checking down this river 100% of the time, as I don't want to risk my tourney life when I don't know that I've got the best hand.
If this is a cash tourney, then I may make a thin value bet or check. If the opp has been playing passively, then I'd opt for the thin value bet. If the opp was playing aggressive, I'd opt for checking it down (as I wouldn't want the opp to come over the top of me).

I also wouldn't just range what the opp would be ahead of me on the flop, but what would the opp call my bets with (and JTs is well within their range, as many players will always chase an OESD).

I may check the river or may thin value bet it and that will depend on the type of tourney and my read on the opp. I wouldn't want to shove the river here as I'm not sure I'm ahead in the hand or not.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com