Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

me bragging what about?

Old
me bragging what about? - Wed Mar 21, 2012, 04:27 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
opr as finally updated to 2012 and little old me as got a 73.5% ranking for 2012 in the overall grandmaster ratings.
-roi who needs bucks to become number 1 im coming for you and i want that number 1 spot.
if you are reading this and are not a poster on this forum get on it get trained get good and kick ass lol.

Old
Wed Mar 21, 2012, 11:01 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
lol

Old
Wed Mar 21, 2012, 11:49 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Their ratings are based on two things... ROI and how long you can last in a tourney (especially ITM%). Without a huge POSITIVE ROI.... getting a top rating there is not going to happen.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 21, 2012, 02:15 PM
(#4)
Since: May 2011
I don't want to be that guy, but I have to. 73.5% is not good. It's actually really bad. I have a 91.7% rating and I have had a huge bad variance run for several weeks now which has been absolutely brutal according to my EV graph.

Stop worrying about OPR all the time and work on improving your game instead.

Old
Wed Mar 21, 2012, 03:07 PM
(#5)
Right :/
They give me 90.11% and I'm not exactly a poker player.
I wonder what those ratings are really about.. see, that Bananazoo top cat here has 15% ITM, I got 29%, maybe I should play real poker... probably not, just kidding :)

Old
Wed Mar 21, 2012, 04:03 PM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2007
Don't be silly Don B. Cilly it is actually a massive 22%

Moving in the right direction and that is all that counts

Cheers,

TC

Old
Wed Mar 21, 2012, 04:13 PM
(#7)
22% ITM?
Hm. I'm reading (on OPR) : 30% last 90 days, 29% 2012, 19% 2011.

Moving forward it looks like, yes :) but where did you get the 22%?

Old
Wed Mar 21, 2012, 04:26 PM
(#8)
I was talking about my own Don, I thought you were referring to me

You should open up a staking thread and try the $1.00 45 mans. They are not that much different from the 25 cent ones. I would definitely buy a piece of your action

Cheers,

TC

Old
Wed Mar 21, 2012, 04:40 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
I thought you were referring to me :)
I sort of lost you here.
You hadn't even posted in this thread...

I personally don't see the point in asking for stakes unless my bankroll was close to zero - which it's not (yet:)

I'd rather play my my own roll and keep all of it if I win...

Old
Wed Mar 21, 2012, 04:51 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
Bananazoo top cat
Misunderstanding

My bankroll is pretty healthy but I find being staked for SnGs takes the pressure off and allows me to play better. I am never going to be a world beater, nor a full time player, but if I can be a profitable player being staked it may give me the opportunity to play at levels I would never have the confidence to play off my own bat.

As I said if you ever consider selling a piece of your action I am in

Cheers,

TC

Old
Wed Mar 21, 2012, 05:22 PM
(#11)
I'm flattered.
I'll think about it... but another reason why I probably wouldn't do it is that I can't guarantee putting in the time.

Bananazoo is currenty top ranked on OPR for 'stars.

In current tourney... pff :)
I'm running 9th of 9 (of 45) and it's silly as...

During the current session you were dealt 62 hands...
.. and you were dealt 6-2 62 times :)

Old
Wed Mar 21, 2012, 05:40 PM
(#12)
Ok, the real stats:

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 117 hands and saw flop:
- 10 out of 18 times while in big blind (55%)
- 0 out of 18 times while in small blind (0%)
- 7 out of 81 times in other positions (8%)
- a total of 17 out of 117 (14%)
Pots won at showdown - 5 of 8 (62%)
Pots won without showdown - 3

And I still managed 5th place.
That's how bad they were :)

I was only half joking about the 6-2s

Old
re post - Wed Mar 21, 2012, 09:15 PM
(#13)
Since: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Misunderstanding

My bankroll is pretty healthy but I find being staked for SnGs takes the pressure off and allows me to play better. I am never going to be a world beater, nor a full time player, but if I can be a profitable player being staked it may give me the opportunity to play at levels I would never have the confidence to play off my own bat.

As I said if you ever consider selling a piece of your action I am in

Cheers,

TC

i dont understand this,how does it change your game,dependant of where the buy-in comes from,are you saying "less pressure" = you dont mind losing someone elses money if it happens can you please explain this to me

Old
Thu Mar 22, 2012, 01:34 AM
(#14)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
opr as finally updated to 2012 and little old me as got a 73.5% ranking for 2012 in the overall grandmaster ratings.
-roi who needs bucks to become number 1 im coming for you and i want that number 1 spot.
if you are reading this and are not a poster on this forum get on it get trained get good and kick ass lol.
holdem...

Since it's pretty well accepted that 90% of online poker players LOSE money,meaning the top 10% WIN money,and the top 10% of 100% means 90% and better...well...what side of the ledger does that put YOU on?

Dude,you had a thread asking for us to give you help on how to be motivated to not just give it back whenever you hit s good run and instead to keep building on that. OK,go back to OPR and filter your results for 2012 only. ROI for the year (as I post this...) is -27%. There's your motivation holdem. You may be losing at a slower rate,but you ARE still losing.

Whilst I would freely say that you should be ENCOURAGED by better results you are a long way from anything to brag about here. This isn't me slagging you off,this is me telling you to get a grip,get serious about your motivation's and put nose to grindstone and do something,I mean REALLY do something, about this. You've taken a step. Now take another one. And then the one after that.And so on.

Hell do it just to piss me off or spite me or whatever if that does it for you.

But just do it.

You can't beat anyone if you can't master yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Their ratings are based on two things... ROI and how long you can last in a tourney (especially ITM%). Without a huge POSITIVE ROI.... getting a top rating there is not going to happen.

John (JWK24)
These are what they use as the basis it seems JW,but I think there is some rating weighting to allow for average buy-in as well. At least it looks that way when you compare numbers of players who are essentially equal in all other respects...players with higher ABI's seem to get better ranks than players with lower ones.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Thu Mar 22, 2012 at 01:38 AM..

Old
Thu Mar 22, 2012, 01:55 AM
(#15)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
Ok, the real stats:

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 117 hands and saw flop:
- 10 out of 18 times while in big blind (55%)
- 0 out of 18 times while in small blind (0%)
- 7 out of 81 times in other positions (8%)
- a total of 17 out of 117 (14%)
Pots won at showdown - 5 of 8 (62%)
Pots won without showdown - 3

And I still managed 5th place.
That's how bad they were

I was only half joking about the 6-2s

Were I to pull the stats from my 4th to 6th place finishes in those .25 45 mans Don I think they would be very,very similar to these. You CAN nit it up pretty hard in these and get to that min-cash to maybe 4th place line more often than people would think in these. Getting to the top 3 takes better cards,better situational exploitation and more gamble. But this type of finish goes to show that even the card and dead and opportunity deficient type games in these can be profitable.

And seeing as you're straight killing these I wouldn't change anything if I were you. Move up a level and you'll probably need to adjust yeah,but if you've found a play style that works well in the games you're playing you don't deviate until they make you (provided they ever do...).

All you need to do now is test your results against a big sample and see if they hold. That
happens and then you know.

Oh and the guys that rank highest on OPR are gonna be the guys that bink the big money MTT's so yeah...they're gonna have lower ITM percentages for the most part.

Don't play to the stats...this goes out to everyone. US peeps get back on here I KNOW for a fact that I was punting tons of value in the .10 ($50 added) and .25 ($100 added) MTT's worrying about making ITM far more than I should have. Given the chance I will not make that mistake again.

FYI for you guys that want to stick to the .25 games for a while and are making your grind there---seriously consider putting the .10 ($50 added) and .25 ($100 added) MTT's into your regular schedule. They have tons of value for that price. Think about it...adding $50 to a .10 buy-in MTT is like having 500 runners who you don't have to fade contributing to the prize pool.

Old
Thu Mar 22, 2012, 03:29 AM
(#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehigh0874 View Post
i dont understand this,how does it change your game,dependant of where the buy-in comes from,are you saying "less pressure" = you dont mind losing someone elses money if it happens can you please explain this to me

It is actually the reverse. When I play with my own money I try to play "real poker" in SNGs. I get involved in too many hands, much too early, and when I take a bad beat, I tilt, say ****** this and bang goes my stack.

When I am backed I am more disciplined and patient, I am playing a snug range like in the Space Gravy videos and I stick to that religiously. When the blinds are higher say from 100/200 onwards I open up the range and will make +EV plays and these get a lot more respect because of my image. With my own money, (if I have made it to this stage) I cannot make the +EV plays because no one will respect my raises.

So some would say I am not playing poker when I am staked, but my goal is to win money for my backer and myself and I will do whatever is necessary to achieve that.

Oh and one other thing, when I play for myself there is usually a beer on hand, whereas when I am staked I will only drink water and the results say I make better decisions with water than beer

Cheers,

TC

Old
Value Added - Thu Mar 22, 2012, 04:57 AM
(#17)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
holdem...

These are what they use as the basis it seems JW,but I think there is some rating weighting to allow for average buy-in as well. At least it looks that way when you compare numbers of players who are essentially equal in all other respects...players with higher ABI's seem to get better ranks than players with lower ones.
Hi Moxie,
I agree that higher ranking players are going to found playing at higher stakes; winners can afford higher buy-ins. But I am certain that ABI has nothing to do with rankings. I have collected 23 VPPs so far this year from my buy-ins and I'm at 91.5%. I wouldn't expect to win as easy at higher stakes though. Maybe someday...

Thanks for the reminder of the $0.25 MTTs $50 added. Now that I have 160 buy-ins at this this level, I should play more of these.

Cheers!

Old
re post - Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:12 AM
(#18)
Since: Aug 2011
im not having a go at you topthecat it just seems to me that where your buy in comes from should be irrelevant to the game you play,if you can play disciplined with someone elses money,you should be able to do it with your own and build a good br ,thus eliminating the need to be staked to begin with,thats just my opinion

Old
Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:16 AM
(#19)
some ineresting stuff again thanks, the more i post the more i learn. Thanks moxie you confirmed my thoughts that 90% opr was what i need to be a winning succesfull player, and you gave me some valuable input to knucle down.
I do view my opr slightly different maybe than what i should. 73% from my previous opr to me is a great improvement and especailly with -roi and micro level buyins.
I do see this as great, i have not earned my 73% by one big mtt cash in like some have, probably lots off higher ranked players are ranked because of this.
I know this from previous posts where my mrs was 94% at the time from one mtt 3rd place in a 5ker.
So to me my ranking is what i think to be a true rank, and to anyone else who is at micros playing sngs they should be proud of a good rank more so than the one mtt oh look im ranked up.
Thats how i see it anyway probably way of base but that makes sense to me

Old
Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:51 AM
(#20)
Since: Feb 2012
I may as well toss in my penny of thoughts.

Poker is really about making good choices. You have made a poor choice in the type of game you are playing. The rake is murdering you at your current skill level.

Mind, I don't know shoot

========

Edit
I can see the non-monetary points to being staked. Look at the dynamics between Marvin and virtually any of his horses, but in particular Rabbit girl. She has a personal and extremely involved tutor while playing under circumstances that motivate to play at very best.

And if playing at very best becomes a habit, then it becomes average - thus improving play overall even if no actual skill increase occurs

Last edited by jergul; Thu Mar 22, 2012 at 08:58 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com