Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

1.10 4k, analysis please

Old
1.10 4k, analysis please - Thu Mar 22, 2012, 04:05 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

Sorry for lack of reads was not at this table very long but it was playing kind of snug otherwise i would probably have mucked KQ form this position if it was going crazy. Couldn't put him on a set i just thought on a board like that a set was raising the flop pretty huge.

Last edited by darkmajik365; Thu Mar 22, 2012 at 04:08 PM..

Old
Thu Mar 22, 2012, 06:17 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi darkmajik!

From mid position earlier in a tourney, I'm going to muck KQo. I'd be much more tempted to play it if I was in late position (so I could be in position in the hand).

If I was to play it, I will make a std open raise (I normally use 2.5BB here, but there is nothing wrong with 2.2BB).
The flop gives me the 2nd nut flush draw and TP second kicker. I would c-bet here size my bet at about 1/2 pot (my normal c-bet size). When the opp calls this, I would range them on either having hit a part of the board, big heart or a pocket pair. I would not expect a set to be raising the flop here, as the bet that was made, DID price out a flush draw. Due to this, the opp didn't have to raise to price out the draw.
Since I raised pre and c-bet the flop, I'm going to check the turn for pot control. The opp could have the A of hearts or AQ and I want to see the last card to see if I improve. If the opp made any reasonable bet here, I'm calling to see the river.
The river is a good, but possibly scary card too. Yes, I hit the flush, but it's the 2nd nut flush, not the nuts, plus the board paired. I'm going to make a thin value bet here of about 25% of the pot. I want to see the opp call it and hope they don't push, as i'm going to have to call it.... even though I may be beat.

Tough spot out of position, which is why I don't normally play KQ from mid position earlier in a tourney.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:23 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Thanks for your input John always great to read your opinions, generally i fold here to I had just been tweaking a few things in my game to 'lag' it up a touch, the table had been tight in the 15 hands or so I had been at it and just felt it was a spot to try opening the hand, taught me a lesson to let this hand go in this position and this is almost a 100% fold here for me here as i tend to play towards the nitty side of TAG early in MTT'S. I definitely think i overplayed the strength of the hand and your comment of checking the turn was probably the best line on the turn, I had planned on only getting 2 streets of value and checking the river but with the heart on the end i decided I was calling any bet when i checked so why not just put him all in but I suppose that takes away all his bluffs at the pot, not many worse hands are calling that bet on the turn looking at it now and I had a gut feeling this guy probably had AQ with the A of hearts but fooled myself into putting him on QJ or something hopefully with a worse heart. Thank you again John.

Last edited by darkmajik365; Thu Mar 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com